GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:22:32 +0000
Muharram 07,1423 Thursday 21st March,02

Naafil(Voluntary)Fasting In Islam Part I.

Fasting on certain days of the year apart from Ramadan has been recommended
by Prophet Muhammed(on Whom be the Peace and Blessing of Allah) and observed
by himself and his devoted Companions(May the peace and Blessing of Allah
upon them all).This is voluntary fasting and some companions(Sahaba) exerted
themselves so strenously with it that they were told to reduce their
exertions.

Because of the Importance of voluntary fasting,please find below some of the
recommended days and the methods of observing it.

Fasting is recommended on:

1.The Day of Ashuraa(in the Month of Muharram).

2.Six Days of Shawwal.

3.On the Day of Arafat.

4.Most Days During the Month of Shaban.

5.Fasting During the Sacred Months.

6. Mondays And Thursdays.

7.Three Days of every Month.

8. Alternate Days.

Now lets us explain each of the above with supporting evidence(hadith) from
the Books of Alhadith.

Fasting The Day Of Ashuraa(During the Month of Muharram)

As pointed out last week,we have just entered the Month of Muharram which as
you all aware is the beginning of the Higri Year.It is also one of the four
months that have a special significance in Islam because it is one of the
four sacred months mentioned in the Holy Quran together with Dhul
Qada,Dhul-Hijjah,and Rajab.The Holy Quran has this to say about these sacred
months:" verily,the number of months with Allah is twelve months (in a
year),so it was ordained by Allah on the Day when He created the heavens and
the earth;of them,four are sacred.That is the right religion,so wrong not
yourselves therein...."(Surah Al- Tawbah 9:36).

Abu Bakrah(May Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet(PBUH)
said:The year is twelve months of which four are sacred,the three
consecutive months of Dhul-Qada,Dhul-Hijjah and Muharram,and Rajab which
comes between Jumaada and Shaban.(Reported by Al-Bukhari in his Sahih).

Even before Islam,Arabs observed these months as sacrosanct and showed
uncharacteristic discipline during these months.They use to fast and perform
pilgrimage on the tenth day of Al-Muharram and adorn the Kaaba with a new
Kiswa (covering).As is reported on the authority of Abdullah Ibn Omar and
Syedina Aisha who related that Rasul-Allah(PBUH) fasted on the tenth of
Muharram before he became a Prophet acknowledging that it is a good thing to
fast as a form of devotion.There is no record that I am aware of that he
questioned this practice of the Qureish at the time.They fasted on that day
and so did he.When he migrated to Al -Medina and found that the Jews fasted
on that day,he made enquiries as to why they were fasting.When he was told
that they observed the fast out of gratitude for the deliverance of Syedina
Musa (Moses) and his followers from the persecution of Firaoun (Pharoah) and
because Syedina Musa fasted on that day out of gratitude they too were
fasting.Rasul-Allah(PBUH) then said " Truly we are closer to Musa than you.
We are better followers of Musa than you." Ever since then it has become an
established tradition for Muslims to fast as a sign of gratitude and
rendering thanks to Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'Ala. The Jewes started taunting
the Muslims,claiming that the day would come when Muslims would follow the
Jews in others matters.This taunt greatly hurt the feelings of the Muslims
and they went to Rasul-Allah(PBUH) and complain about this.He said in reply:
" You should distinguish yourselves from them by fasting on the 9th,the
10th,and the 11th Day,that is three days.Not only the tenth,but a day before
and a day after,if you can.If you can't then the 9th and the 10th." He also
said: " If I survive next year I will fast the ninth day in addition but the
month after he died.

It is now regarded Sunnah to do the same thing.The perfect and complete way
is to fast three days.The ninth,the tenth and the eleventh day.If not,try to
fast on the 9th and 10th,even if this is not possible you fast on the 10th
day only.As mentioned before this Month is a Sacred Month according to the
Holy Quran.Being a Sacred Month,means that doing good will be doubly
rewarded.Here I would like to add that we take our religion only from
Muhammed Ibn Abdullah(PBUH).What he did in Al-Muharram we have to copy.Bidah
(or Innovations) that has crept into the religion like not conducting
Marriage during this month,or people mourning during this month is unfounded
in Sunni Islam.

Hadith Pertaining to Fasting on the Day of Ashuraa

1.Hazrat Ibn Abbas(RA) says that the Holy Prophet(SAW) himself observed the
fast on the Day of Ashuraa(tenth day of Muharram), and he encouraged others
to fast on that day.(Bukhari and Muslim).

2.Hazrat Abu Qatadah(RA) relates that the Holy Prophet(SAW) was asked about
Fasting on the Day Of Ashuraa(10th of Muharram).He (SAW) answered: " It
atones for the sins of the Preceding Year. " (Muslim)

3.Hazrat Ibn Abbas (RA) relates that the Holy Prophet(SAW) said " If I
survive till the next year I shall fast on the ninth day of Muharram."
(Muslim).

To be Continued in Part II. With Fasting six days of Shawwal and others next
Week.

With the very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo
Glasgow,
Scotland
UK.
Da’wah is to convey the message with wisdom and with good words. We should
give the noble and positive message of Islam. We should try to emphasize
more commonalities and explain the difference without getting into
theological arguments and without claiming the superiority of one position
over the other. There is a great interest among the people to know about
Islam and we should do our best to give the right message.
May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,guide us all to His Sirat Al-Mustaqim (Righteous
Path).May He protect us from the evils of this life and the hereafter.May
Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,grant us entrance to paradise .
We ask Allaah the Most High, the All-Powerful, to teach us that which will
benefit us, and to benefit us by that which we learn. May Allaah Subhanahu
Wa Ta'ala grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family
and
companions..Amen.