GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:20:02 +0000
Folks, pressure works.  However, I think Mr. sey should expose who his
captors are and his treatment.  Just putting someone in a musquito infested
pit is in itself torture.  We all know the devastation of Malaria in our
country and it is fatal for a lot of our people.  I look for the Independent
to keep us posted on the progress of Mr. Sey and to also expose these
criminals so Gambians can put a face to this crime.  The NIA can continue to
do their crime but their days are numbered and none is going to hide behind
"I was just taking orders".  We are going to deal with any that is found to
violate the human rights of the people.  Please read on.

Editor of the Independent Freed

Reporters sans Frontières (Paris)

September 24, 2003
Posted to the web September 25, 2003

Paris

Abdoulie Sey, missing publisher and editor of the twice-weekly paper The
Independent, was freed on 23 September reportedly after being held four days
by the National Intelligence Agency for interrogation about articles
criticising President Yahya Jammeh. He was not charged with any offence.

One of his colleagues told Reporters Without Borders Sey had been arrested
on 19 September by NIA agents and taken away for questioning in a black car
with no numberplates. Soon after being released, he had fallen ill because
of bad conditions of detention by the NIA, the colleague said.

The paper's staff and the Gambian Press Union had urged the NIA to free him.
But the agency denied involvement and said it did not know where he was.

Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments.  Get Hotmail
Extra Storage!   http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es