GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 05:54:16 +0000
George, thanks for your response.  More Tijans are in the pipeline.  I value
my friendship with TJ, but if that friendship is going to be at the expense
of Gambians, then I will not hesitate to challenge it, even if that means
loosing it in the process.  George, I've seen a lot of slippery folks on
this list too.  We are all adults here, and we need to stop this slippery
business.  We also know when someone is tip toeing around the truth, and
frankly it's sickening.  Some of us think that we are not aware of the
second hand they are dealing.  It is just a matter of time and they shall be
exposed when they least expect it.  The best thing we can do for our friends
is to tell them the truth and at this time of our want as a nation, we
should not be entertaining any sycophantic behavior.  This nepotism and
tribalism business are what has brought us this state of affairs.  I wish I
did not have to say this about my friend, but if we can tell it like it is
with those who we do not know, we ought to be able to do the same with those
that are close to us.  It is not easy, but if we believe that all folks are
equal, then we cannot and should not treat some as more equal.  This reminds
me of someone I wish to follow his footsteps, Pa Joachim Dacosta (rest in
peace), regarding the bloodbath on April 10/11 (April Massacre of the
students and Mr Barrow).  In the aftermath of that slaughter fest by Yaya
and his murderers, some Adults, educators, religious folks, etc. embarked on
a lying campaign and heap all kinds of untruths on the students.  Risking
arrest, torture, and even murder (yes, these thugs will not hesitate to
murder anyone) this brave man told the whole nation who the criminals were
and dared them to kill him if they wished.  Where were the politicians, the
men and women of the law, the elders of our society, pious folks, mothers,
fathers?  He was the conscience of our nation at that very moment.  It was
the value he put on the truth that led him to point the right finger at the
doorstep of the murderers.  Yes, that's my hero.  That is best practice of
best practices.  George, my conscience is clear and I resolved a long time
ago that I am not going to be party to nepotism, tribalism, religious
segregation, or sycophancy in my dealings with my fellow humans.  We shall
know and tell the truth for it shall set us free.  George, thank you and
others for providing us this medium and keep up the good work.  Together, we
can achieve uncommon results.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou