GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:37:13 -0400
To: [log in to unmask]

----------MailBlocks_8C87E0EF3700615_A34_BC1_FWM-M29.sysops.aol.com

 =20
INTERVIEW WITH HALIFA SALLAH
ON HAMAT BAH=E2=80=99S COMMENTS IN THE  STATES
=20
PART ONE
FOROYAA: HAMAT BAH Claims that negotiation is going on between NADD and the=20=
UDP/NRP Alliance and that within a short period of time one candidate will b=
e selected by the Opposition to contest the forth coming presidential electi=
ons?
HALIFA: At the moment no arrangement is in place for the two sides to meet.=20=
 When Hamat left a consultative process had started between Mr. Darboe and m=
yself to explore whether any basis could be developed to serve as a foundati=
on for any negotiation.  Confidentiality was requested and agreed upon. Hama=
t=E2=80=99s comments in fact derailed the whole process.
FOROYAA: Why?
HALIFA : He created the impression that he had access to information regardi=
ng negotiation which had not even commenced and further remarked that NADD w=
as just interested in position which completely misconstrued  and trivialise=
d the far reaching analysis and exchanges that I had with Mr. Darboe.  The N=
ADD executive gave me the exclusive mandate to discuss with Mr. Darboe witho=
ut informing them of any details until agreement is reached for initiating n=
egotiations.  When Hamat made his remarks curiosity and uncertainty set in a=
nd the whole process had to come to a stop pending further clarification on=20=
what he was propagating in the US.=20
=20
=20
=20
PART TWO
In this edition we continue with the interview with Halifa Sallah, NADD=E2=
=80=99s flag bearer, on comments made in the United States by Mr Hamat Bah o=
f the UDP/NRP Alliance.
=20
FOROYAA: Why the need for Confidentiality when your own supporters were dema=
nding to know what was going on in the midst of the widespread notion that a=
n agreement has been reached
HALIFA: It is true that many NADD supporters at home and abroad felt disarme=
d. They contacted me to ask about developments and I could not explain anyth=
ing to them. The reason for this is simple. None of the sides requested for=20=
the talks. Interlocutors having sympathy for either side respectively interv=
ened in good faith to promote Consultation between Mr. Darboe and myself wit=
hout any conditionality or agenda. We had the option to chat and depart or c=
reate an agenda for further consultation. The only request made by the inter=
 locator from the other side is confidentiality. I had to respect that wish=20=
and requested for a mandate from the NADD Executive to enter into talks with=
out having to report to them until something conclusive is reached. I respec=
ted the request for confidentiality because of the fact that this was the fi=
rst opportunity to build trust between the two sides. I am sure all keen obs=
ervers of Gambian polities would notice that during the period of the talks=20=
no derogatory remarks against the UDP/NRP Alliance and its leaders could be=20=
attributed to the NADD leadership.
FOROYAA: What axe do you have to grind with Mr. Hamat Bah?
HALIFA: I have no axe to grind with Mr. Bah. He simply put me in a tight cor=
ner and compelled me to explain what was happening to every one and thus nul=
lified the very confidentiality sought by the other side for the two sides t=
o engage in a consultation exercise.
FOROYAA: How?=20
HALIFA: Mr. Hamat Bah said that there were people in NADD who wanted to use=20=
others as their ladder, some who never launched their parties some whose par=
ty never had a single meeting and others who had been in politics for 20 yea=
rs but never got more than 2% of the votes. He then went on to state that th=
ese are the people who wanted equal share with those who had 36% and 8%. He=20=
was emphatic in saying that this was not possible. He said that they (UDP an=
d NRP) made a serious mistake in accepting the principle of sovereign equali=
ty of parties in NADD.He emphasized that they should not have accepted equal=
 representation, noting that it was this mistake that led to the fall out of=
 NADD
Mr. Bah then went further to deal a blow on our consultative process by asse=
rting that he will not disclose the discussions going on at the moment betwe=
en the two alliances that we will agree on a flag bearer. He added that what=
 complicated the negotiation is that NADD wanted positions; they wanted the=20=
cake that is not yet baked. He concluded that they are not going to make any=
 agreement as to who will occupy which position. The president will do that.=
 This is what Mr. Bah said in the U.S.=20
FOROYAA: What do you have to say?
HALIFA: Mr. Bah=E2=80=99s claim that negotiations were on between the two al=
liances could only be attributed to two things. He was either referring to m=
y talks with Mr. Darboe which had nothing to do with the sharing of position=
s or that he was referring to negotiation that did not exist. In either case=
 the statements were at least inaccurate and at best misleading. The people=20=
in the Diaspora still have access to Mr. Bah. Could he be asked to explain w=
hich talks were on where NADD was asking for position? I repeat NO such talk=
s are taking place. My consultative exercise with Mr. Darboe had no agenda.=20=
Nothing about position was discussed. It was also being done under a climate=
 of perfect equality. This is the first point.=20
FOROYAA: Would NADD agree to the view that treating all parties as equals le=
d to the fall out of NADD?
HALIFA: That is the second misleading notion that Mr. Bah sold in the U.S. O=
f course if one relies on common sense logic what he said would appear to be=
 true. However if one analyses the reality one would consider his state to b=
e unfortunate since others would also exercise their right to reply.
FOROYAA: What do you mean?
HALIFA: First and foremost, an alliance is not a ladder for just one party b=
ut for all parties constituting it. He can be equally accused of using an al=
liance as a ladder. Such negative way of looking at things will not take us=20=
any where. Secondly if flag bearers of alliances are determined by records o=
f previous election then Mr. Darboe would have never been the presidential c=
andidate in 1996. Prior to that he never participated as a candidate in elec=
tions.
Thirdly, the leader of one of the parties he mentioned had won an election a=
s an independent candidate during the first Republic and was unseated only b=
y a coup d=E2=80=99etat.=20
Suffice it to say that the PDOIS that he was trying to trivialise by referri=
ng to 2% had put up five candidates in the 2002 parliamentary elections and=20=
earned two seats while having over 20% in all the other three constituencies=
 while NRP put up 15 candidates only to earn one seat, which he Mr. Bah had=20=
lost in a by election. It is therefore difficult for me to understand Mr. Ba=
h=E2=80=99s logic. What he has conveyed is that there in no spirit of negoti=
ation in the UDP/NRP camp and that they are coming up with a sprit of imposi=
ng their will. This is at least haughty in approach=20
=20
to negotiation which can never succeed.
FOROYAA: Mr Bah said that the policy of treating parties as equals was a mis=
take. What is your view on this?
HALIFA: It is unfortunate that I am being dragged into such a discussion at=20=
the moment when we should be engaged in the process of dislodging the APRC r=
egime. Leadership requires hindsight. Let me ask every Gambian this simple q=
uestion. When we met in the US after delivering our speeches in Atlanta in 2=
003 and were asked whether any party could dislodge the APRC why didn=E2=80=
=99t the UDP assert then that it had the potential to do so and simply calle=
d on the other political parties to give it solidarity? Of course, if this w=
as said there would not have been any need to select a Coordinator. The UDP=20=
would have been asked to send envoys to the various political parties to see=
k their support .The parties which felt that UDP could lead them to victory=20=
would have joined them.
In retrospect, when we met in the US the UDP had boycotted the parliamentary=
 elections and had no seat in the National Assembly. NRP had lost one seat a=
nd had only one seat. Only PDOIS had two parliamentary seats. The case of th=
e UDP leader was still in court. There was immense hostility in the camp of=20=
the opposition.=20
In my view, the parties were right to state at the time that none of them co=
uld present itself as the leader of the fold. No party could take the postur=
e of being superior to the other to the point of playing a big brother role=20=
on the basis of its individual strength and credibility.
I am one hundred percent sure that if the UDP had taken the posture that Mr=20=
Bah is asking it to take now when we first met, all the representatives of t=
he other parties would have left the hall to go about their business. I stan=
d to be corrected.
We therefore created NADD as an umbrella party to create unity in the midst=20=
of diversity among the opposition parties because no single party had the st=
rength and credibility to serve as a rallying ground for other parties. This=
 is the simple and elementary truth. This umbrella party was designed to add=
ress the individual weaknesses of the member parties and further galvanize t=
heir collective strength and integrity.
In order to ensure that the equality of the parties is reserved as a tactica=
l instrument to consolidate the strength of the opposition in order to ensur=
e victory the existence of NADD was limited to five years after the assumpti=
on of office by the flag bearer. During the five years all political parties=
 will be able to retain their individual political support and still claim o=
wnership of their collective achievements under NADD. The restriction of the=
 mandate of the flag bearer to one term was to eradicate the advantages of i=
ncumbency so that any political leader who failed to contest in 2006 would h=
ave equal opportunity to seek the mandate of the people in the next followin=
g election by relying on a party=E2=80=99s numerical strength. The principle=
 of creating an umbrella party under which collective leadership is exercise=
d was designed not only to harness the numerical strength of the parties but=
 to build up the potential to harness voters who are either non committed to=
 individual parties or are supporters of the ruling party. The collective le=
adership also serve as an insurance against any allegation of tribalism or s=
ectionalism. Equality and collective leadership in NADD offered each voter t=
he personality one could love and trust to justify one=E2=80=99s trust for t=
he opposition.
Herein lies the viability of NADD. Mr Bah says this was a mistake what he is=
 offering is imposition of dominance by the UDP. Clearly his proposition wou=
ld not have created unity among the opposition from the very beginning.
FOROYAA: But has an alliance like NADD ever happened?
HALIFA: NADD is a united front. In some cases countries are fortunate to hav=
e an opposition party which is capable of winning an election on the basis o=
f its own numerical strength but can better do so by co-opting other opposit=
ion parties in an alliance which it leads. On the other hand, countries may=20=
be faced with a situation where the people are not sentimental about parties=
 and are very willing to put party affiliation aside to form a united front=20=
to achieve an aim.=20
A clear example of this is Gambia in 1996 and 2001 when the UDP operated as=20=
an umbrella party for the parties which were banned. I have also pointed out=
 the cases of Tumani Toure and in Mali and even Nino Vieira in Guinea Bissau=
, where the people disregarded both the ruling party and the opposition . NA=
DD could have been another example.
FOROYAA: What is the way forward?
HALIFA: I have said that people are calling for an alliance. We should expla=
in what the two alliances are offering the people and ask them to make their=
 choice as to which form of alliance should be the basis of unity. As far as=
 I am concerned, I have made it clear that I have accepted to be flag bearer=
 because of my conviction that I could be accepted by all political constitu=
encies in The Gambia. However, I am also willing to hand over to anyone who=20=
can be better promoted among all political constituencies in the country.
FOROYAA: Some are asking why you accepted to be flag bearer.
HALIFA: Let me also ask why did, I accept to be Coordinator when I was Secre=
tary General of PDOIS?  It is duty that called and I had to answer. I would=20=
like to remind people that I did not apply to be  a Coordinator nor did I wa=
nt to be one. When I appeared in Atlanta I was the Minority Leader of the Na=
tional Assembly of The Gambia and I accepted to be Coordinator not to become=
 an apolitical civil servant but to facilitate a process. My mandate ended w=
ith the signing of the MOU. However all the parties agreed to elect me as Co=
ordinator again? That is trust.
Needless to say, I did not apply to be flag bearer. Just I was unanimously s=
elected as Coordinator I was again unanimously selected as flag bearer of NA=
DD. I accepted because duty called on me to do so. If duty again calls on me=
 to hand over the responsibility to someone who can better lead us to succes=
s I am again willing to do so. I am willing to do whatever duty is imposed o=
n me.
FOROYAA: Mr Bah alluded to a party which for twenty years could only get two=
 percent of the votes.
HALIFA: I am the flag bearer of NADD. Since NRP and UDP cam into being I sto=
od in three elections. In 1997 I stood with a UDP candidate in Serrekunda Ea=
st. I had 8500 votes. He had 8000 votes. The APRC candidate had 9500 votes.=20=
This is not what is called 2% of the votes. In 2002 those who boycotted elec=
tions campaigned against me but I won. In 2005 I stood for NADD and won. The=
 picture Mr Bah has been insinuating regarding the flag bearer has no affini=
ty to what is on the ground. This is the chapter and verse of the whole stor=
y.
FOROYAA: What is NADD doing at the moment?=20
HALIFA: We are not convinced that a one party led alliance can be promoted s=
uccessfully. Hence Sidia and his team are in the URD; Waa and his team have=20=
covered LRD and they are now in CRD and will come down to Baddibu. Landing J=
allow Sonko and his team will cover Nuimi, Jokadu and CRD North. As flag bea=
rer we will engage in debriefing when they come back to know the way forward=
.
FOROYAA: You must have a lot of money.
HALIFA: That is what we do not have. We have changed our strategy. We used t=
o rely on established organisations like Movement for the Restoration of Dem=
ocracy in the Gambia in UK or Save The Gambia Democracy Project in the USA.=20=
Now we have opened up new strategies to receive solidarity from any individu=
al Gambian who wishes to give cash or kind. Our partners can continue to do=20=
their best while we explore new avenues for funding. We need paper, ink, cas=
settes, T-shirts, caps, etc. The response is encouraging. We can only be as=20=
effective as Gambians want us to be.
FOROYAA: Any last words?
HALIFA: I hear some people saying that if the opposition is not united they=20=
will not provide funds or vote. My view is that whether one casts one=E2=80=
=99s vote or not others will vote for the APRC. What Gambians should do is t=
o give their maximum, be ready to vote and then encourage the opposition to=20=
be united.
The hands-off policy is a fatalist policy. It will only lead to the retentio=
n of the status quo. In our view people should insist that the two alliances=
 come together. However if that fails people must learn to judge where the f=
ault lies. I can assure every one that I will be able to explain my point of=
 view with clarity and history will never indict me for not taking the right=
 decision at the right time to defeat impunity and poverty which are dual fa=
ctors that fetter the liberty and prosperity of the Gambian people..
Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM=
. All on demand. Always Free.

----------MailBlocks_8C87E0EF3700615_A34_BC1_FWM-M29.sysops.aol.com

<HTML><BODY>

-stops: 78.0pt" align=3Dcenter><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><U>=
<SPAN lang=3DEN-GB style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16pt"><FONT size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Ti=
mes New Roman">INTERVIEW WITH HALIFA SALLAH<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX =3D O /><O=
:P></O:P></FONT></FONT></SPAN></U></B></div>

-stops: 78.0pt" align=3Dcenter><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><U>=
<SPAN lang=3DEN-GB style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16pt"><FONT size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Ti=
mes New Roman">ON HAMAT BAH=E2=80=99S COMMENTS IN THE<SPAN style=3D"mso-spac=
erun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>STATES<O:P></O:P></FONT></FONT></SPAN></U></B></div=

tyle=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB></SPAN></B><FONT fa=
ce=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>&nbsp;</FONT></div>

tyle=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times=
 New Roman" size=3D3>PART ONE</FONT></SPAN></B></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> HAMAT BAH=20=
Claims that negotiation is going on between NADD and the UDP/NRP Alliance an=
d that within a short period of time one candidate will be selected by the O=
pposition to contest the forth coming presidential elections?</SPAN></FONT><=
/FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> At the mome=
nt no arrangement is in place for the two sides to meet.<SPAN style=3D"mso-s=
pacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>When Hamat left a consultative process had start=
ed between Mr. Darboe and myself to explore whether any basis could be devel=
oped to serve as a foundation for any negotiation.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spaceru=
n: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Confidentiality was requested and agreed upon. Hamat=
=E2=80=99s comments in fact derailed the whole process.</SPAN></FONT></FONT>=

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Why?</SPAN=
></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA :</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> He created=
 the impression that he had access to information regarding negotiation whic=
h had not even commenced and further remarked that NADD was just interested=20=
in position which completely misconstrued<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&=
nbsp; </SPAN>and trivialised the far reaching analysis and exchanges that I=20=
had with Mr. Darboe.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The NADD=
 executive gave me the exclusive mandate to discuss with Mr. Darboe without=20=
informing them of any details until agreement is reached for initiating nego=
tiations.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>When Hamat made his=
 remarks curiosity and uncertainty set in and the whole process had to come=20=
to a stop pending further clarification on what he was propagating in the <?=
XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX =3D ST1 /><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on"><ST1:PLACE w:=
st=3D"on">US</ST1:PLACE></ST1:COUNTRY-REGION>. </SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>&nbsp;</FONT></O:P></SPAN></div>

AN><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>&nbsp;</FONT></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB></SPAN>&nbsp;</div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>PART TWO</FONT></SPAN=

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>In this edition we co=
ntinue with the interview with Halifa Sallah, NADD=E2=80=99s flag bearer, on=
 comments made in the <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on"=
>United States</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION></ST1:PLACE> by Mr Hamat Bah of the UDP/N=
RP Alliance.</FONT></SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><O:P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>&nbsp;</FONT></O=
:P></SPAN></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Why the ne=
ed for Confidentiality when your own supporters were demanding to know what=20=
was going on in the midst of the widespread notion that an agreement has bee=
n reached</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> It is true=20=
that many NADD supporters at home and abroad felt disarmed. They contacted m=
e to ask about developments and I could not explain anything to them. The re=
ason for this is simple. None of the sides requested for the talks. Interloc=
utors having sympathy for either side respectively intervened in good faith=20=
to promote Consultation between Mr. Darboe and myself without any conditiona=
lity or agenda. We had the option to chat and depart or create an agenda for=
 further consultation. The only request made by the inter locator from the o=
ther side is confidentiality. I had to respect that wish and requested for a=
 mandate from the NADD Executive to enter into talks without having to repor=
t to them until something conclusive is reached. I respected the request for=
 confidentiality because of the fact that this was the first opportunity to=20=
build trust between the two sides. I am sure all keen observers of Gambian p=
olities would notice that during the period of the talks no derogatory remar=
ks against the UDP/NRP Alliance and its leaders could be attributed to the N=
ADD leadership.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> What axe d=
o you have to grind with Mr. Hamat Bah?</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> I have no a=
xe to grind with Mr. Bah. He simply put me in a tight corner and compelled m=
e to explain what was happening to every one and thus nullified the very con=
fidentiality sought by the other side for the two sides to engage in a consu=
ltation exercise.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> How? </SPA=
N></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Mr. Hamat B=
ah said that there were people in NADD who wanted to use others as their lad=
der, some who never launched their parties some whose party never had a sing=
le meeting and others who had been in politics for 20 years but never got mo=
re than 2% of the votes. He then went on to state that these are the people=20=
who wanted equal share with those who had 36% and 8%. He was emphatic in say=
ing that this was not possible. He said that they (UDP and NRP) made a serio=
us mistake in accepting the principle of sovereign equality of parties in NA=
DD.He emphasized that they should not have accepted equal representation, no=
ting that it was this mistake that led to the fall out of NADD</SPAN></FONT>=
</FONT></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Mr. Bah then went fur=
ther to deal a blow on our consultative process by asserting that he will no=
t disclose the discussions going on at the moment between the two alliances=20=
that we will agree on a flag bearer. He added that what complicated the nego=
tiation is that NADD wanted positions; they wanted the cake that is not yet=20=
baked. He concluded that they are not going to make any agreement as to who=20=
will occupy which position. The president will do that. This is what Mr. Bah=
 said in the <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on">U.S.</ST=
1:COUNTRY-REGION></ST1:PLACE> </FONT></SPAN></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA: </SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>What do yo=
u have to say?</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Mr. Bah=E2=
=80=99s claim that negotiations were on between the two alliances could only=
 be attributed to two things. He was either referring to my talks with Mr. D=
arboe which had nothing to do with the sharing of positions or that he was r=
eferring to negotiation that did not exist. In either case the statements we=
re at least inaccurate and at best misleading. The people in the Diaspora st=
ill have access to Mr. Bah. Could he be asked to explain which talks were on=
 where NADD was asking for position? I repeat NO such talks are taking place=
. My consultative exercise with Mr. Darboe had no agenda. Nothing about posi=
tion was discussed. It was also being done under a climate of perfect equali=
ty. This is the first point. </SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Would NADD=
 agree to the view that treating all parties as equals led to the fall out o=
f NADD?</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> That is the=
 second misleading notion that Mr. Bah sold in the <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><S=
T1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on">U.S.</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION></ST1:PLACE> Of cours=
e if one relies on common sense logic what he said would appear to be true.=20=
However if one analyses the reality one would consider his state to be unfor=
tunate since others would also exercise their right to reply.</SPAN></FONT><=
/FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> What do yo=
u mean?</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> First and f=
oremost, an alliance is not a ladder for just one party but for all parties=20=
constituting it. He can be equally accused of using an alliance as a ladder.=
 Such negative way of looking at things will not take us any where. Secondly=
 if flag bearers of alliances are determined by records of previous election=
 then Mr. Darboe would have never been the presidential candidate in 1996. P=
rior to that he never participated as a candidate in elections.</SPAN></FONT=
></FONT></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Thirdly, the leader o=
f one of the parties he mentioned had won an election as an independent cand=
idate during the first Republic and was unseated only by a coup d=E2=80=99et=
at. </FONT></SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Suffice it to say tha=
t the PDOIS that he was trying to trivialise by referring to 2% had put up f=
ive candidates in the 2002 parliamentary elections and earned two seats whil=
e having over 20% in all the other three constituencies while NRP put up 15=20=
candidates only to earn one seat, which he Mr. Bah had lost in a by election=
. It is therefore difficult for me to understand Mr. Bah=E2=80=99s logic. Wh=
at he has conveyed is that there in no spirit of negotiation in the UDP/NRP=20=
camp and that they are coming up with a sprit of imposing their will. This i=
s at least haughty in approach </FONT></SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><O:P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>&nbsp;</FONT></O=
:P></SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>to negotiation which=20=
can never succeed.</FONT></SPAN></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Mr Bah sai=
d that the policy of treating parties as equals was a mistake. What is your=20=
view on this?</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> It is unfor=
tunate that I am being dragged into such a discussion at the moment when we=20=
should be engaged in the process of dislodging the APRC regime. Leadership r=
equires hindsight. Let me ask every Gambian this simple question. When we me=
t in the <ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on">US</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION> after deliv=
ering our speeches in <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><ST1:CITY w:st=3D"on">Atlanta</=
ST1:CITY></ST1:PLACE> in 2003 and were asked whether any party could dislodg=
e the APRC why didn=E2=80=99t the UDP assert then that it had the potential=20=
to do so and simply called on the other political parties to give it solidar=
ity? Of course, if this was said there would not have been any need to selec=
t a Coordinator. The UDP would have been asked to send envoys to the various=
 political parties to seek their support .The parties which felt that UDP co=
uld lead them to victory would have joined them.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>In retrospect, when w=
e met in the <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on">US</ST1:=
COUNTRY-REGION></ST1:PLACE> the UDP had boycotted the parliamentary election=
s and had no seat in the National Assembly. NRP had lost one seat and had on=
ly one seat. Only PDOIS had two parliamentary seats. The case of the UDP lea=
der was still in court. There was immense hostility in the camp of the oppos=
ition. </FONT></SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>In my view, the parti=
es were right to state at the time that none of them could present itself as=
 the leader of the fold. No party could take the posture of being superior t=
o the other to the point of playing a big brother role on the basis of its i=
ndividual strength and credibility.</FONT></SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>I am one hundred perc=
ent sure that if the UDP had taken the posture that Mr Bah is asking it to t=
ake now when we first met, all the representatives of the other parties woul=
d have left the hall to go about their business. I stand to be corrected.</F=
ONT></SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>We therefore created=20=
NADD as an umbrella party to create unity in the midst of diversity among th=
e opposition parties because no single party had the strength and credibilit=
y to serve as a rallying ground for other parties. This is the simple and el=
ementary truth. This umbrella party was designed to address the individual w=
eaknesses of the member parties and further galvanize their collective stren=
gth and integrity.</FONT></SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>In order to ensure th=
at the equality of the parties is reserved as a tactical instrument to conso=
lidate the strength of the opposition in order to ensure victory the existen=
ce of NADD was limited to five years after the assumption of office by the f=
lag bearer. During the five years all political parties will be able to reta=
in their individual political support and still claim ownership of their col=
lective achievements under NADD. The restriction of the mandate of the flag=20=
bearer to one term was to eradicate the advantages of incumbency so that any=
 political leader who failed to contest in 2006 would have equal opportunity=
 to seek the mandate of the people in the next following election by relying=
 on a party=E2=80=99s numerical strength. The principle of creating an umbre=
lla party under which collective leadership is exercised was designed not on=
ly to harness the numerical strength of the parties but to build up the pote=
ntial to harness voters who are either non committed to individual parties o=
r are supporters of the ruling party. The collective leadership also serve a=
s an insurance against any allegation of tribalism or sectionalism. Equality=
 and collective leadership in NADD offered each voter the personality one co=
uld love and trust to justify one=E2=80=99s trust for the opposition.</FONT>=
</SPAN></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Herein lies the viabi=
lity of NADD. Mr Bah says this was a mistake what he is offering is impositi=
on of dominance by the UDP. Clearly his proposition would not have created u=
nity among the opposition from the very beginning.</FONT></SPAN></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> But has an=
 alliance like NADD ever happened?</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> NADD is a u=
nited front. In some cases countries are fortunate to have an opposition par=
ty which is capable of winning an election on the basis of its own numerical=
 strength but can better do so by co-opting other opposition parties in an a=
lliance which it leads. On the other hand, countries may be faced with a sit=
uation where the people are not sentimental about parties and are very willi=
ng to put party affiliation aside to form a united front to achieve an aim.=20=
</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>A clear example of th=
is is <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on">Gambia</ST1:COU=
NTRY-REGION></ST1:PLACE> in 1996 and 2001 when the UDP operated as an umbrel=
la party for the parties which were banned. I have also pointed out the case=
s of Tumani Toure and in <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"=
on">Mali</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION></ST1:PLACE> and even Nino Vieira in Guinea Bis=
sau, where the people disregarded both the ruling party and the opposition .=
 NADD could have been another example.</FONT></SPAN></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> What is th=
e way forward?</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> I have said=
 that people are calling for an alliance. We should explain what the two all=
iances are offering the people and ask them to make their choice as to which=
 form of alliance should be the basis of unity. As far as I am concerned, I=20=
have made it clear that I have accepted to be flag bearer because of my conv=
iction that I could be accepted by all political constituencies in The Gambi=
a. However, I am also willing to hand over to anyone who can be better promo=
ted among all political constituencies in the country.</SPAN></FONT></FONT><=
/div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Some are a=
sking why you accepted to be flag bearer.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Let me also=
 ask why did, I accept to be Coordinator when I was Secretary General of PDO=
IS?<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It is duty that called an=
d I had to answer. I would like to remind people that I did not apply to be<=
SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>a Coordinator nor did I want=20=
to be one. When I appeared in <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><ST1:CITY w:st=3D"on">A=
tlanta</ST1:CITY></ST1:PLACE> I was the Minority Leader of the National Asse=
mbly of The Gambia and I accepted to be Coordinator not to become an apoliti=
cal civil servant but to facilitate a process. My mandate ended with the sig=
ning of the MOU. However all the parties agreed to elect me as Coordinator a=
gain? That is trust.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Needless to say, I di=
d not apply to be flag bearer. Just I was unanimously selected as Coordinato=
r I was again unanimously selected as flag bearer of NADD. I accepted becaus=
e duty called on me to do so. If duty again calls on me to hand over the res=
ponsibility to someone who can better lead us to success I am again willing=20=
to do so. I am willing to do whatever duty is imposed on me.</FONT></SPAN></=
div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Mr Bah all=
uded to a party which for twenty years could only get two percent of the vot=
es.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> I am the fl=
ag bearer of NADD. Since NRP and UDP cam into being I stood in three electio=
ns. In 1997 I stood with a UDP candidate in Serrekunda East. I had 8500 vote=
s. He had 8000 votes. The APRC candidate had 9500 votes. This is not what is=
 called 2% of the votes. In 2002 those who boycotted elections campaigned ag=
ainst me but I won. In 2005 I stood for NADD and won. The picture Mr Bah has=
 been insinuating regarding the flag bearer has no affinity to what is on th=
e ground. This is the chapter and verse of the whole story.</SPAN></FONT></F=

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> What is NA=
DD doing at the moment? </SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> We are not=20=
convinced that a one party led alliance can be promoted successfully. Hence=20=
Sidia and his team are in the URD; Waa and his team have covered LRD and the=
y are now in CRD and will come down to Baddibu. Landing Jallow Sonko and his=
 team will cover Nuimi, Jokadu and CRD North. As flag bearer we will engage=20=
in debriefing when they come back to know the way forward.</SPAN></FONT></FO=

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> You must h=
ave a lot of money.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> That is wha=
t we do not have. We have changed our strategy. We used to rely on establish=
ed organisations like Movement for the Restoration of Democracy in the <ST1:=
COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on">Gambia</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION> in <ST1:COUNTRY-REGIO=
N w:st=3D"on">UK</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION> or Save The Gambia Democracy Project i=
n the <ST1:PLACE w:st=3D"on"><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st=3D"on">USA</ST1:COUNTR=
Y-REGION></ST1:PLACE>. Now we have opened up new strategies to receive solid=
arity from any individual Gambian who wishes to give cash or kind. Our partn=
ers can continue to do their best while we explore new avenues for funding.=20=
We need paper, ink, cassettes, T-shirts, caps, etc. The response is encourag=
ing. We can only be as effective as Gambians want us to be.</SPAN></FONT></F=

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>FOROYAA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> Any last w=
ords?</SPAN></FONT></FONT></div>

T size=3D3><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><B style=3D"mso-bidi-font-weight:=20=
normal"><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB>HALIFA:</SPAN></B><SPAN lang=3DEN-GB> I hear some=
 people saying that if the opposition is not united they will not provide fu=
nds or vote. My view is that whether one casts one=E2=80=99s vote or not oth=
ers will vote for the APRC. What Gambians should do is to give their maximum=
, be ready to vote and then encourage the opposition to be united.</SPAN></F=
ONT></FONT></div>

N lang=3DEN-GB><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>The hands-off policy=20=
is a fatalist policy. It will only lead to the retention of the status quo.=20=
In our view people should insist that the two alliances come together. Howev=
er if that fails people must learn to judge where the fault lies. I can assu=
re every one that I will be able to explain my point of view with clarity an=
d history will never indict me for not taking the right decision at the righ=
t time to defeat impunity and poverty which are dual factors that fetter the=
 liberty and prosperity of the Gambian people..</FONT></SPAN></div>

<hr style=3D"margin-top:10px;" />
l?redir=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaol%2Ecom" target=3D"_blank"><b>Check out AOL.c=
om today</b></a>. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All o=
n demand. Always Free.<br />

</BODY></HTML>

----------MailBlocks_8C87E0EF3700615_A34_BC1_FWM-M29.sysops.aol.com--

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい