GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
samateh saikou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:13:02 +0000
Sister

I love this one:

   As to why people do not vote for the politicians who clearly have the
>interest of the people at heart? I sometimes wonder if we do not secretly
>like the
>condition that these corrupt leaders inflict upon us, or maybe we have come
>the conclusion that tyranny and corruption are the norm in leadership since
>we
>have witnessed nothing different since the advent of our so-called
>Independence from our colonizers.

I came to this conclusion that the ordinary Gambians,for that matter the
Africans,did realized that going to vote is a private issue and not a
national issue,it has northing to do with the improvement of their lives.No
one put this into them,it is from practical experience.They sacrificed
everything in the fight against colonialism,they voted and voted and
voted,today a great number of them could not even provide enough food for
their donkeys.And yet we blame them for been fools for not voting right.Why
should they say no to D10 and vote for me,when they know that I am going to
Banjul to receive a fat salary,many times more than what a great majority of
them earn for the whole year.They say it to all of us "You the educated
elites you are all the same"They have no reason to trust us.The Independent
Newspaper published it here too.After the election they asked a market woman
what she thought of the voting.She reply to say that ,She was sitting here
selling before the voting and she came back to the same place after the
voting.What this woman is saying in my opinion is that it is not the voting
she when to perform that will change her life,she did it before.The job is
to build  trust and building the trust between the politicians and the
Gambian people is the responsibility of all of us and not only the
politicians.This is why I believed it is also our right to know what all the
politicians are thinking,it will only be for the better.

For Freedom
Saiks

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger