GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sillah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:29:46 +0000
I share Annika's concerns and the agony and pain she
and other families of the detained coup suspects are
going through. As we celebrate the new year, lets keep
remembering the victims of the April 10th and 11th
bloody disturbances, and all those who suffered
various forms of injustices in the country but could
not get a proper redress. That's why i always say that
there can never be any genuine reconciliation in the
Gambia when the perpetrators of the crimes against the
inncent people have still not accepted their guilt.
Victims forgive and forget on the basis that those who
wronged them accept responsibility. So as we start
counting to 2003, i urge the government of the Gambia
to just as it granted an amnesty to Sir Dawda, also
equally unconditionally release Dumo and co; return
the assests of the people who were a subject of the
various commissions of inquiry...these people have
suffered too much, sometimes they come home empty
handed with their children asking daddy when will
return to school; the law books should also be
sanitised and cleansed with all the unnecessary
clauses that limit fundamental human rights, that bar
some gambians from standing for political office in
their own country; the sacked civil servants shuold
either be reinstated or be given their necessary
benefits to start a new life; Sanna Sabally(formeer
Vice chairman of the AFPRC) whose prison term
according to the independent newspaper ended some
weeks before the presidential elections should be
released to rejoin his family; let human rights and
the rule of law be respected in the country. And above
all let the government and its opponents organise a
national unity conference as soon as possible to chat
a way forward for the country. So long we recognise
the ligetimacy of a government in power to manage our
taxes for us, the government should also gurantee and
respect the rights of others to their opinion. In that
we wil continue to live in peace and harmony.

E Sillah.

L-ers,