GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 11:45:48 +0000
It is apparent that it was only a matter of time before Gambia was
implicated in this long running conflict. Gambians have long argued that
some cassamace people were being given ID cards for political expedience,
the ruling APRC have always denied such a thing has occured, but according
to reports from Senegal rebels are using Gambian ID to disguise and slip in
and out of the border. This is dangerous because it is giving the impression
that Gambia is providing cover to the armed dissidents, if this perception
gets a firm hold in Senegal it is bound to create a new dimesion in the
already strained reklatioship between the two neighbours. Knowing the price
of conflicts in Africa Gambia as a small nation cannot afford to embroil
itself in such an ongoing saga. It would be advisable for us to remain
neutral, that is the only tenebale position we can afford. We should be seen
to be practically engage in denying the fighters any haven or sanctuary. I
hope the authorities in banjul will work very swiftly to avert any major
contradiction with Senegal, the practical steps that needs to be taken are
to ensure that none Gambian citizens esdpecially from the cassamance are
refused acccess to any form of Gambian ID. Since the borders are very porous
we should work in tandem with Senegal to ensure there is no sanctuary. In as
much as we may not be judgemental about the justification of the struggle we
should reserve the right to protect our bi-lateral relations with Senegal.
We must realised that it is easy to implicate Gambia because the ethnic
composition of Cassamance, which incidentally coincides to that of Jamme's.