GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:05:17 EST
Fakuru:

I do not dispute that in certain respects, we as Gambians do suffer from a
culture of denial.  In fact, not only have we traditionally misinterpreted
almost every disorder under the sun as a sign of insanity, but instead of
treating those afflicted, we have shunned them to the streets or dumped them
at Campama, where conditions have traditionally been atrocious.

But are you telling me that the media should not be responsible for the
veracity of the articles which they carry?  To me the difference between a
tabloid and a credible paper is that that the former has barely any
credibility while the latter makes sure they report credibly.  I personally
don't understand your analogy (i.e. Gambia-L vs The Point) for we are talking
about two completely different mediums here.  One is a Newpaper and the
Gambia-L is simply a forum/cyber bantaba etc.  And even in the case that the
nurse quoted such statistics on this forum, I would assume that someone would
ask for background data to support her stats.

I am not saying that the Point falls within the tabloid category because in
my estimation, they are doing too much in the fight against the evil
dictatorship to get my outright condemnation.  I like the point but a teeny
bit more responsibility as it pertains to the articles they print would be
prudent on the paper's part.

Have a nice day!

Yus