GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sigga jagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:35:23 -0700
Thank you Mr. Dampha.  I am a firm believer in using
all available tactics to solve a problem.  And I do
believe that writing to officials in the International
community is one of the tactics that we should utilize
in combatting Gambia's problem.  And am glad that
there are people like you who are also doing what they
can to confront this problem.  For I am convinced that
together, Gambians can restore our beloved nation to
democracy.  All we have to do is look towards the
story of Milosevich and the people of his country.

--- Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Ms. Jagne, thank you for your efforts. Every effort
> to unmask the Devil we
> have back home, counts. We also thank Hamjatta and
> Ebrima Ceesay. That was a
> fantastic articulation of the issues. The British
> action in restoring
> military cooperation with the renegade regime we
> have back home, is
> indefensible. All the ambassador had to do, was to
> look at Peter Singhateh
> and Jatta in order to see whether training soldiers
> from Sandhurst had a
> positive effect on the innocent Gambians. I would
> have had more respect for
> the ambassador had he come out and said that the
> purpose of this cooperation
> is to ensure that next time there is turmoil in
> Sierra Leone, Gambian
> (instead of British) soldiers will be sent to fight
> rebels. That is what
> this is all about. The ambassador himself admitted
> that sending that
> nonentity to Sandhurst was just the beginning of a
> more fruitful
> relationship (for Yaya and Britain). So if we do not
> stop them, the next
> time around, we would be reading in the press that
> Britain is sending tanks
> and heavy weaponry to Gambia. That is why we commend
> your efforts and those
> of other Gambians that registered their disgust with
> the British government.
> It is the prerogative of the British government to
> ally themselves with a
> child murderer, rapist, thief and coward of the
> caliber of Yaya. It is also
> our duty to hold the British government accountable.
> They have to reconcile
> this illogical move with their rhetoric about an
> ethical foreign policy. We
> have to let the British tax-payers know that their
> government is sending
> their tax pounds in order to support a Gaddafi ally
> that would not hesitate
> to unleash brute force on his citizens. Again, we
> join you and reiterate
> that there are numerous areas in which the British
> can give us assistance.
> Beefing up Yaya's brute machine is NOT one of those
> areas. We do not have
> far to look. What has Singhateh and Jatta done for
> us lately? I cannot think
> of anything apart from the massacre of innocent and
> defenseless children in
> broad daylight. So since the British cannot
> guarantee us that the soldiers
> they train will turn our right, they should cease
> military cooperation that
> has the only effect of further arming Yaya. The life
> of Gambian children is
> too precious to be wasted on the farfetched theory
> the ambassador used in
> order to justify the British action. What is there
> to show us that these
> soldiers they are training would not turn out to be
> other Idi Amins?
> KB

> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
"NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION"

                       ALSO

"NOTHING IS UNACHIEVABLE, THE ONLY QUESTION IS, WHETHER ONE IS WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE WHAT IS DESIRED"