GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:30:41 -0500
Culled from The Observer

Gambians should revisit National Anthem Charles Sam urges

Excitement filled the airwaves last Sunday and Monday when the gust speaker
on Radio One current affairs programme “News Conference,” Mr Charles Sam,
President of African Hope International, urged Gambians to establish in them
the National Anthem as national reconciliation and advancement.

Mr Sam, who outlined his rather frank and realistic views on the way forward
The Gambia, said. “The Gambia is behind schedule in development and there is
an urgent need for us to take multiple strides forward but there can be no
forward march without national reconciliation.” He went on to say that at
the right of our nation, our vision was to become a nation of peace,
progress and prosperity and to achieve that, we laid out a path plan and
prayed for God’s help in the form of our treasure national anthem. It is
rather unfortunate that after entrusting our way forward to God Almighty, we
have deviated from this path into the woods and wilderness”

Mr Sam went on to say. As we meditate carefully on the precious words of
this powerful national anthem of ours, we would all agree that our
individual lives, group/conduct and national life do not adhere to the
spirit and principles of the national prayer.

Contrary to the words of the national anthem, we do not value our homeland,
we do not strive, work nor pray, we do not live in unity, peace and freedom
each day, neither are our actions guided by justice. We have become a
self-centred people and never working for the common good of all. Instead of
working not join our diverse people to prove man’s brotherhood, we are
encouraging and fuelling Tribalism and segregation to destroy the beauty of
human brotherhood. We have become the most unpatriotic people on this earth
sabotaging development. Our relationship with God has soured as we have
chosen the path of evil.

The Gambia today is not a place of truth, but falsehood and deception. We
need to go back to the beginning by meditating on the words of the national
anthem so that we can pledge our firm allegiance and renew our promises of
patriotism. Mr Sam also called The Jammeh administration, the opposition,
the security agencies, the business community, the civil service and the
media to hostilities and be patriotic enough to iron out their differences
with each other to move the country forward. Our people are tired and need
early relief he concluded.