GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:25:49 -0400
Mr. Colly, thanks once again for breaking it down into technical details
only you know how. The background you gave about the security apparatus
after the Senegalese withdrew, is quite apt. It helps put into context the
behavior of certain elements during those trying times. I found the example
you gave about Ndow Njie and Kebba Keita quite instructive. How on earth
some one can equate such regrettable incidents to the torture you people
went through, is just mind-boggling to me. I am glad that you explained how
important it is for security personnel to maintain their authority in
certain instances. As you rightly put it, the job you perform, is usually a
matter of life and dead. It is important that your authority not be
undermined by people whose only motive is to ridicule you in public. There
are Gambians that cannot stomach seeing decent people; especially if those
people are younger than them. Those Gambians would do anything to try and
put you down.

I am glad you are fighting back and you will continue to fight back. Again,
I hope from this experience, Chongan and other officers will not be
discouraged from participating in this struggle on the side of the
Opposition. Like you said, this is a first in our history. Active
participants in coups have not come out to give a coherent rendition of what
actually happened as the coup unfolded; what happened when the leaders fell
out; what happened behind bars. What we got in the past, were exaggerated
accounts like the lies Yaya told about his participation in the coup. Or we
will have no accounts at all because the people that would have given an
honest account would have been dead before they had an opportunity to speak
out.

I once again thank you for your contributions. I take this opportunity to
respectfully counsel Chongan about something I meant to tell him about
previously but could not do so. I understand Babucarr Jeng (another torture
victim) is currently residing in UK as well. Chongan, with your legal
background, it would not hurt to collaborate with Jeng and other victims
living in UK to see if you can bring a case against Yankuba Touray and the
people that tortured you at 'Mile II'. Look into the feasibility of having
an indictment against these vermin. That way if they ever set foot in
Britain, they will be tried for their crimes.
KB