GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:32:45 -0000
Gambia-L:

The two unedited e-mails below came from a source in the Gambia.

Ebrima

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Proposed Constitutional Amendments : 'Active Resistance' called
>for
>
>Ebrima,
>
>Let me assure all and sundry that the opposition will call for 'active
>resistance' should Cheyassin and Yahya Jammeh try to ram these self-serving
>amendments to the Constitution down our throats.
>
>As opposed to your earlier source's position, I am in favour of a
>Referendum as suggested by Kebba Dampha, albeit these clauses are not
>entrenched clauses which further illustrate some of the fundamental flaws
>in the safeguards provided under the present Constitution.  Clauses that
>fundamentally threaten the right of the individual to select its leaders
>should be protected.  In these cases, they are not.  They should be opposed
>if the process suggested by Cheyassin Secka are going to be applied. The
>consultation process should not be limited to a single news conference with
>a handful of journalists who will be limited probably to a single question
>each.  This is a mockery and an afront to the right and dignity of every
>Gambian; and it should be actively resisted on all fronts.
>
>I know as a fact that Hamat Bah will certainly challenge the proposed
>changes in the National Assembly. I hope that the other opposition parties
>will follow suit and vehemently and aggressively oppose the chages both in
>the Assembly and on the streets, if necessary.
>
>Yahya Jammeh and Cheyassin are presently watching events unfold in the
>streets of Abidjan and major cities around Ivory Coast as the current
>regime there tries to disenfranchise millions of Ivorians. This should be a
>food for thought for our despotic leaders in The Gambia and around Africa.
>People are sick and tired of their rights being trampled on by these
>incompetent, selfish and corrupt politicians.  LONG LIVE THE STRUGGLE.

To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject: When will they ever learn?

Ebrima,

Yahya's list of casualties is too long to reproduce here for fear of losing
some by way of the 'dimpled' or 'impregnated chad.' The latest sacrificial
lamb is Abdoulie Conteh, Chairman of KMC. As was suggested here, he should
have left office when he was dismissed. Instead, he instigated a
demonstration at State House on his behalf and as a result, he was
"reinstated." What he failed to realise was the reinstatement was temporary
as those who are following the Commission of Enquiry into the
Auditor-General's Report should decipher by now. Yahya was through with him
months ago, but even his family failed to counsel him to quit.  Now he faces
the humiliating actions of the Commission - a preface to his dismissal which
will occur shortly and be replaced by another door mat named F.R.I. Jammeh.
I wonder when will they ever learn?