GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:39:13 +0000
Gassa,
I share your views on the late Kwame Nkurumah and hope you will also agree
that his shortcomings should not disqualify him from being considered as one
of the greatest Pan Africanist that the world will ever see.
Indeed the late Dr Kwame Nkurumah made some costly mistakes among which
include his declaration of a one party State, allowing J.P Danquah to die in
prison and not accommodating dissenting views. After all, Kwame was just
human and therefore like everybody else susceptible to commiting judgmental
errors and practical mistakes. It is nowadays believed that because of his
inspiring effects on people, he came to be regarded in the early days
post-independence by many of his compatriots as a super human whose every
word was like the gospel and every act, saintly. In order words, he started
to be worshipped as a living god especially by those close to him who
succeeded in convincing him that he was not only perfect but worthy of
worship as well and that for his noble vision for Ghana and the rest of
Africa to be realised, he must resort to harsh and repressive measures to
surpress his political opponents who were all subsequently branded by his
regime as agents of the the imperialist West. In my view, that was the
greatest mistake which led to his popular overthrow from power. Had Kwame
tolerated dissent and protected the human rights of all his compatriots, the
people of Ghana would have resisted and defeated the NATO-backed military
coup that brought him down.

The APRC regime should learn from lessons from that. Those who wish to
differ from the APRC are not neccesarily unpatriotic or even enemies of
president Jammeh. Let us hope that President Jammeh will henceforth start a
new page to uphold the constitution, just as as he swore to do, yesterday.

Kwame had a great vision to work with like-minded leaders of his time to
transform a fragmented and poverty-afflicted Africa in to a United States of
Africa, which would harness her human and natural resources to be a world
power just like the United States of America. Unfortunately the vision he
had for Ghana and Africa at large fell victim to the so-called cold war
politics that the world descended into at the end of the Second world war.
The West led by the US gave Kwame the ultimatum of allying with them against
the Soviet bloc or he would be considered as their enemy just as George Bush
recently proclaimed: 'You are either with us or with the terrorists'. Kwame
was ultimately considered by the West as an enemy because of his
anti-imperialist stance and refusal to be dictated by Uncle Sam & co as well
as his Pan Africanist agenda. Ultimately they plotted Kwame's downfall and
succeeded as towards the end of his reign, he had also alienated the
majority of Ghanians.
All said, the late Kwame Nkurumah was a great man.

As you would state, have a good day.

The yoke of oppression must be shattered!

BMK