GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pasamba Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:10:31 -0800
Sillah,
I have been reading with interest your exchange with Gassa, and would assert that you are right on the mark. As you rightly mentioned, i was a member of the press before and after the usurpation of power by Jammeh. To say that there is more press freedom now than during the Jawara period is a falacy. Of course there are more media houses now, but the constant harassment of the press is more than it has ever been.
Gassa, the government printers was ordered by the Jammeh government in 1995 to stop printing the POINT newspaper, this was after Alieu Badara Sowe and Pap Saine were arrested for reporting a prison riot. What we have in the Gambia is more like a police state than anything. The press have two choices either to report the news as they see fit and face the NIA or act like praise singers to Jammeh and his clique.Thank GOD most have chosen the path of reporting the news as they see fit in the public interest.
I find it disconcernting that after what Mr Mbye(Independent) had gone through, that anybody would come here and try to defend the APRC's record on press freedom. I am not trying to say that the PPP regime is not guilty of any violations, in fact i can name a number of cases were people in the press were intimidated. What is important to note is, Jammeh came to power "to correct" the wrongs committed by Jawara, but what we get is a continuation of those same wrongs and worst treatment under Jammeh. I donot think that Gambians are better off under Jammeh.
Pasamba Jow

<<//\\>>//\\<<//\\>>//\\<<//\\>>//\\<<//\\>>//\\<<//\\>>Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com