GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:51:21 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 110/2007, 19 -20 September  2007

Editorial
EDWARD IS THE LAST ONE
Out of the four council  members who appeared on the historical stage to take
over the helm of state,  Edward is the last political survivor. He did so by
playing a low political  profile. He moved from prominence to become almost
unnoticeable. What is  interesting is that he has recently enrolled in the Law
programme to study Law.  Did he smell something or has he changed heart about
politics and political  office.
Very recently, someone came to Foroyaa’s offices to give some  reporters the
usual dose of rumours. According to him, at a recently held  meeting of party
stalwarts in Kanilai, the President had asked people to shelter  Edward for
him. They claimed that this meant the President was grooming Edward  as he plans
to ‘call it a day’. Those people would be surprised to hear that  Edward is
not only relieved of his ministerial post but is also removed as  general
secretary of the APRC.
What is still unclear is where the President  intends to go from here, as the
only person left among the 4 coup makers is now  out. Will he introduce a
term limit and declare that he will not stand in the  next election as a way of
keeping a legacy or will he continue just to reshuffle  his cabinet without
explaining the rationale for the change.
We are still  wondering what criteria the president utilizes to reshuffle his
cabinet. A  former Magistrate turned Attorney General is now the Secretary of
State for  Works, Construction and Infrastructure.
He has also selected a very young  lady with all the appearance of a person
with deep moral conviction as Attorney  General and Secretary of State for
Justice. Will human rights improve? Will she  be dictated to and removed? Is the
President ready for reform or is all this  another exercise which makes
personalities in the country to sit and hope that  they are next in line to a high
post as Secretary of State. At least, the  president is achieving one thing,
that is to enable more Gambians than ever to  add in their curriculum vitae that
they were ex-ministers or secretaries of  state of this or that Department.
Apart from this, we are still waiting to  know the reasons for the frequent
reshuffles of cabinet. When Mr. Sanyang became  Attorney General we expected
that youthfulness will lead to improvement in the  human rights record but
nothing changed. This time around we will keep our  fingers crossed.
Foreign Currencies Depreciate
As Commodity Prices  Stagnate
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Economic pundits would postulate that the  depreciating dollar, pound
sterling and Euro currencies will give rise to a drop  in basic commodity prices, but
a couple of weeks into that period, prices remain  the same, if not rising.
“The fall of the foreign currencies is good for us.  This will make us sell
our commodities at cheaper prices, but the importers are  selling at the same
high prices to us the retailers,” one Mbai Ceesay told  Foroyaa.
This view is shared by a fellow retailer, Muhammed Lamin Sugufara,  who said
despite the depreciating dollar, the importers have not reduced the  prices,
thus opening the path for retailers to follow suit.
However, Foroyaa  has discovered that there are different rates of exchanging
the dollar, pound  sterling, euro or other currencies for the dalasi and vice
versa.
At one  foreign exchange bureau on Sunday, September 18, they were buying the
dollar at  D19 and selling it at D22.50.
Another exchange bureau in the same  neighbourhood does not have a fixed rate
for buying the dollar on the same day.  A man behind the counter said they
buy it at D19 or D19.25 or even D20 and sell  the dollar at D22.
At the third foreign exchange bureau Foroyaa found that  they were buying the
dollar at D18 and selling it at D24.50.
There are also  different market prices for the euro. A particular bureau was
buying it at D28,  another at D27 and the third one at D25. These bureaux
were also selling the  Euro at D30, D30 and D33, respectively.
The pound sterling was also being  bought at D39 or D37 and sold at the same
place at D43 and D47,  respectively.
“The pound is not steady. We buy it at D39 and sell it at D40,”  a currency
dealer said.
However, importers of basic commodities do not agree  that they should
automatically bring commodity prices down.
One said that  they have old commodities in stock and cannot simply reduce
the price tags when  the stocks are not emptied or when new commodities have not
been imported.
Another one said the rise in rent, electricity and other costs is increasing
thus making it hard for them to reduce prices to bearable levels.
Foroyaa  will get in touch with the Central Bank and the Department of state
for Finance  to find out how they are handling the situation.

RE-DOSH Refutes Foroyaa  Report
Bubacarr K. Sowe
Below is a rejoinder sent to Daily Observer for  publication in response to
an article they published on Friday entitled “DOSH  Refutes Foroyaa Report”.
The article is yet to be published by Daily  Observer.
Foroyaa had published in its Wednesday 12 September 2007 edition an  article
entitled “Gambia Falls Short on Health Expenditure.” The Director of
Planning and Information at the Department of State for Health reacted by  sending a
letter to Daily Observer claiming that the statement is not accurate.  This
led to the following response by the author of the article.
Please refer  to your article entitled “DOSH Refutes Foroyaa Report”
published in Vol. 15, No.  100 of Daily Observer, dated 14 September 2007.
The author of the letter you  published noted: “Your recent statement on the
issue does not seem to report  accurately the findings of the NHA.”
I have attached a photo-copy of some of  the presentations at the workshop
for you to compare them with the article I  wrote. You judge for yourself
whether there is any inaccuracy in the report. It  is rather unfortunate that the
Director of Planning and Information has not  indicated what is inaccurate in
the Foroyaa report. There is nothing in this  report which defers from the
presentations at the workshop.
I also stated in  the report that “…It was only Cape Verde who met the WHO
recommendation during  the years covered by the NHA study.” The director cannot
deny this  statement.
I do not also expect the Director to deny that the recommendations  that I
listed are among the recommendations forwarded. You can also see that the  Total
Health Expenditure figures in the Foroyaa report are the same with those  in
the documents attached. The Foroyaa report is accurate. This is the first
point to note.
Secondly the Director has called on Foroyaa to stop  publishing portions of
NHA report as the final document has not yet been  published.
Foroyaa does not have access to the final report. Whatever  Foroyaa has
published was derived from the presentations of the resource persons  at the
workshop who repeatedly made references to the NHA report. The resource  persons or
organisers of the workshop did not caution reporters not to publish  portions
of the NHA report. Hence to indicate that Foroyaa is wrong in  publishing
portions of the report is grossly unfair.
The Director also  claimed that “Extracting portions without reporting on the
full story tends to  give wrong information.” This is sometimes true.
However, one can extract  information or data from a report to make a point. What I
wrote was not an  attempt to summarise what transpired at the workshop. I
simply made a point,  that Gambia among other nations have fallen short on a WHO
recommended  expenditure target. I used the information presented at the
workshop to back my  point. It is now evident that if there is an error it must have
arisen from the  resource persons themselves.
Furthermore, there is no need for the Director  to take this rejoinder to
Daily Observer because Foroyaa does not suppress an  article because  it was
critical of it.

Cotton Farmers Dialogue  With Niamina East Chief
By Lamin Fatty
Information reaching Foroyaa has it  that Cotton farmers in Niamina, Central
River Region, met recently with the  district chief in Niamina East, Alhagie
Kebba Touray, at his residence in  Niamina Kerewan to discuss their plight.The
intervention of the chief came after  the farmers were reported to have
threatened to  burn Gamcot to ashes if it  failed to pay their last year’s produce.
Gamcot owes the farmers over D1  million.
In an interview with this reporter, the District Chief in Niamina  East, said
his meeting with the cotton farmers was geared towards finding a  solution to
the problem of cotton farmers rather than creating violence. He said  when he
met them, what he told them was that there might be a reason for the  failure
of Gamcot to pay them and he personally believed that the company must  be
doing everything possible to settle the farmers. He pointed out that he wrote  a
letter for them to take to the governor of Central River Region, Ganyi
Touray,  to inform him of the situation He added that the governor promised to
pursue the  matter with the Management of Gamcot. Attempts to reach the governor
for comment  has so far proved unsuccessful, but readers will be informed of his
opinion as  soon as we access him.
Readers could recall that a local newspaper in the  country published that a
group of cotton farmers in Niamina threatened to burn  down Gamcot Company in
Basse for failing to pay their last year’s  produce.

1981 Coup Victim Capacitated
By Yaya  Bajo
Mr. Saineyba Saho, a victim of the 1981 abortive coup, was last Sunday
presented with a key to a Foundation Project called “Prof. MAYBE FOUNDATION” at  a
colourful ceremony held at his residence in Latrikunda Sabiji.
Mr. Saho who  has since became physically disabled as a result of the gun
shot wound he  sustained during the incident, got the support from one Professor
Maybe, who was  at one time working as a medical practitioner with MRC in The
Gambia foiled  plot. The project which cost about D170, 000 comprised a
dwelling house with  toilet facilities, a workshop apartment and a book shop geared
towards  generating income for Saho’s sustenance.
Speaking at the ceremony, Madam  Sister Thomas, a representative from MRC,
recollected the events of 1981 that  led to Saineyba’s present situation. Madam
Thomas recalled that she met Saineyba  at MRC ward 25 years ago when he
(Saineyba) was admitted there and that was  where they established a bond of
friendship. She spoke about the consequence of  conflict, noting that Saineyba would
have become something else had he not being  a victim of a conflict. She
thanked Professor Maybe for his invaluable support  to Saineyba. Despite the fact
that he is no longer in the country.
Sainey  Camara, a physiotherapist at Social Welfare, described Sanieyba as an
 understanding client. He said Saineyba always accepts the therapies given to
 him, adding that he is somebody who has accepted his disability condition in
 good faith. He said for them at Social Welfare, they give empathy not
sympathy  to their clients. He added that Saineyba is on the verge of becoming
independent; thanks to the functional rehabilitation he has been undergoing. He
finally encourage him to keep up the momentum.
For his part, Mr. Saineyba  Saho, compassionately thanked all and sundry for
continuously supporting him  since he became disabled in 1981. He singled out
the contributions of Professor  Maybe,  Sister Thomas and other MRC Staff. He
further commended Professor  Maybe for financing his overseas treatment
package at a tune of D300,000. He  said his condition has greatly improved; thanks
to Professor Maybe, MRC Staff,  Social Welfare and Emamous Foundation.
Other speakers included Mr. Gabou  Jarju, head of the  Disability Unit at the
Social Welfare Department, and  Mr. Marong of Emamous Foundation. The
occasion was moderated by Musa  Jobarteh.

Regional Locust Quality Control Teams Training Ends
By  Isatou Bittaye
The African Emergency Locust Project (AELP) The Gambia, in its  stride to
control locust in the country, on Saturday 15 September ended a  five-day
intensive training for the Regional Quality Control Teams (QUEST), at  the
Agricultural Rural Farmer Training Centre in Jenoi, Lower River Region. The  training
which gathered 12 participants from the National Agricultural  Development
Agency (NANA), Agricultural Pest Management Unite, Department of  State for Health,
National Environment Agency (NEA) and the Department of State  for Water
Resources, was aimed at capacitising the regional quest teams to be  fully
equipped with necessary requirements to respond positively in case of any  locust
outbreak in the country.
Speaking at the closing ceremony, Mr. Momodou  Lamin Darboe of the National
Agricultural Research Institute  (NARI) and a  member of the Team said that
National Quest Team has an important role to play  in the locust project. Mr.
Darboe indicated that the regional Quest teams are  trained to perform
effectively in the field and inorder to make change in locust  control.
He added that in controlling locust, our environment needs to be  safeguarded
and the   health of humanbeings and animals be protected.  Mr. Darboe urged
the Quest teams to be cooperative and participative in their  work. He further
urged them to utilize the knowledge gained and to collaborate,  noting that
through collaboration they can achieve the vision 2020.
In  declaring the training workshop closed, the governor of Lower River
Region, Mr.  Momodou Soma Jobe, said that the training is successful as it does not
deal only  with the theoretical part but that the participants were also
trained on the  practical aspect. He noted that the training is unique and there
is need for  technical knowledge in locust control. Governor Jobe buttressed
the need for  locust control, noting that there can never be independence when
there is crop  failure. He added that locust fighting will never be compromised
as it is very  quick in destroying the society and that food self-sufficiency
cannot be  achieved without effective control. The regional Governor urged
the participants  to disseminate the knowledge gained to the farmers and the
local people.
Mr.  Sheik Tijan Sosseh, AELP acting Project Coordinator, acknowledged the
participation of the representatives from all the institutions and the input of
 the trainers. He thanked the participants and trainers for making the
training a  success.
He thanked the media for their effective and correct dissemination  of
information to the people. The participants were presented with certificates  and
the vote of thanks was given by Mr. Katim Touray, NEA Officer in the Upper
River Region and also a participant.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
BLACKMAIL,  JUSTICE AND SENTIMENT
Part 3
By Amie Sillah
Justin Visits  Daado
Docter Justin visited Daado at her quarters. He expressed  disappointment. ‘I
did not know you hated me that much. Why did you return my  gift? Don’t you
know it’s an insult in Africa? I am very disappointed with you.  “Daado
expressed herself with precision.” I am very sorry if I hurt you but I  cannot
accept a gift from you Justin. I don’t want to give you a false  impression. I am
engaged to be married to Greg.” “Okay! That is honourable of  you but accept
me as a special friend.”
I can settle for that. Half a loaf is  better than nothing.” Justin said. The
two settled for a special friendship.  Justin was scheming for the naive
Daado.
Justin bought Daado an expensive  handset. “You cannot reject this. No
strings are attached. This small gift is  just from a special friend.” Justin
emphasised to Daado. He invited her for  lunch. Daado accepted. She belived Justin
was harmless.

Patricia Calls Justin
Patricia loved the rascal. She called him to  apologize. Justin rejected her
outright. “ I don’t love you again Pat! Can you  understand English? I don’t
want you again.” Pat insisted that Justin should  take her back. “ I over
reacted. Forgive me my love. Take me back!” Justin off  his mobile phone at Pat’
s ear. Pat is desperately in love.

Justin Talks to His American Wife
Justin entered a marriage of  convenience in the States. His American wife,
Jane rang him. He gave her false  promises that he will soon be back. Justin is
a bandit without  conscience.
Georgie, his best Pal was present. He saw him with Daado and got  excited. “
Boy! I saw you with that beautiful babe, Daado. What are you up to?  Are you
in love?”Justin gave a cruel laughter. “What! In love? That’s not me.  She is
engaged to Greg. Greg! You remember him, that mega billionaire? I am  trying
to hook her. I want to milk Greg through the babe. I also want to have my  fun.
That babe slapped me in the face. She has to pay very dearly. Trust me! I  don
’t love I like to explore that’s my nature. I am a discoverer.” He  boasted.
Georgie encouraged his friend’s follies. “I trust your judgment boy!  You
are a genius.” The duo did the victory salute.

Justin Invites Daado To His Home
Justin planned it very well. He invited  Daado to his home. She became
trapped. Pat came in. Justin was confused at first  but he quickly caught up. He
pretended that Pat was a cousin who came to find  refuge in his cousin’s house
fleeing from her dad’s persecution. Justin took Pat  out and warned her. “What
are you doing in my house? Leave me!  Leave me  alone or else! If you spoil my
new relationship I’ll kill you.” He took her out  and showed her a penknife.
“You see this! I’ll cut your neck with it if you  dared me!” Justin pushed
Pat out of his house. He kept the penknife in the  compound flowers. He told
Daado a story. “ She is a naughty girl. My cousin is  rebelling against my
uncle. Pat came to me for shelter.
But I fear my uncle’s  wrath. She has to go.” Daado laughed over it. “You
are the big brother.” “You  can say that!”  Justin chorused. He offered Daado a
drugged juice. Few  minutes late Daado was lifeless. Justin gleed. He took
Daado upstairs and raped  her throughout the night while filming the episode. He
had inflicted pain on  Daado
That was his vouch to teach her a lesson for openly rejecting  him.
Daado’s naivty made her a victim of the devil. Girls beware of such  tricks.
When she woke up and found Justin next to her both of them naked, she  got
into terrific fits. She insulted and cursed Justin who mocked and geared at
her.
“I am a bad boy! I’ve got you. You enjoyed it. I am a better performer  than
your Greg. Why do you prefer him to me?”  Daado cried in shame and  disgust.
“Greg is not a rapist. He is a better man than you. I trusted you  and you
betray me.
I am done with you. Never again!”
She put on her dress  and left Justin who was very pleased with himself. He
is a monster with no  conscience. Daado blamed her naivity.

Daado shows signs of pregnancy
Daado showed signs of pregnancy, morning  throwing up, nausea, dizziness etc.
She decided to visit her family doctor.  Her worst fears were confirmed. She
was three months pregnant. Justin trailed  her steps.

Justin And The Docter
Justin came into the Docter’s office as soon as  Daado was out of sight.
He was trailing her steps. He enquired from the  docter about Daado’s visit. “
 It is confidential. I cannot reveal it to you.”  The doctor stressed.
Justin locked the Docter’s office and threatened him  with a gun. “Have you
seen this before?” he brandished his gun. “Show me the  records or I kill you
as a chicken!”
The docter was scared to death. He left  Justin to take away the original
records.
He read the records and gleed. “She  is now trapped. She is three months
pregnant with my baby! My blood! Lets see  how she can explain this development to
her beloved Greg!” He Gleed. “Now I have  good weapons against her,” he said
aloud.

Letter from Greg
The long awaited letter arrived with some money from  Greg. Greg explained
about his circumstances. Why he was unable to write to his  fiancée. He asked
for forgiveness.
Daado was dismayed over her present  condition “Why? Why me? Engaged to Greg
and pregnant for Justin. How can I  explain this?” she cried.

The Black Mailer
The Blackmailer is trailing after Daado.
He entered  as the postman left Daado’s quarters. Justin snatched the
envelope from Daado.  She protested but to no avail. Justin read the letter and
laughed. Enclosed in  the envelope was Greg’s picture in America. He became
sarcastic. “Greg Johnson!  I know him. He is not better than me. He runs a
conglomerate. We are equally  comfortable. What can he give you, which I cannot? You are
now three months  pregnant for me. Deny it! Let me see how you can explain
the circumstance to  Greg.” “It’s a lie! I am not pregnant.” Daado tried to
cover up. Justin showed  her the records. “Where did you get the records?”
Daado stupidly asked. “Lets  say my intelligence industry. I am trailing your
back. You are now my project  Girlie!”
Justin joked cruelly He halved the money in the envelop and took it  for
himself and threw the rest to Daado. She became helpless in the face of  Justin
who cruelly taunted her emotions.  Daado was desperate and  agonized.

An Accident
It is normally said that God works in a mysterious way. As  Daado was driving
her car she got involved in an accident.The accident resulted  in a
miscarriage. She asked her doctor not to reveal it to her family. Her  doctor agreed.

At Her Workplace
She went to her workplace and offered her resignation.  Mr. Wright, her
supervisor was surprised. He questioned her. “But why? Why miss  Daado?
Have I or any of my staff wrong you?” “No! All of you are nice to me.  This
is a personal decision. Please accept my wish.” Mr. Wright tried to
discourage her. “Greg is coming in a weeks time. He will blame me for  this.
Please madam, wait for him.” Daado put her letter on Mr. Wrights’ desk  and
left. He nodded his head in disappointment. What will Mr. Wright explain to
Greg?.

Minority Leader Calls For Stringent Measures Against Foreign  Fishing Vessels
By Abdou Jeli Keita
Honourable Momodou Lamin Sanneh, on  Tuesday 4 September, 2007, called for
very stringent measures against foreign  fishing vessels. His comment came in
the wake of the introduction of “the new  Fisheries Bill 2007” by the SoS for
fisheries, Honourable Yankuba  Touray.
Honourable Sanneh said The River Gambia is such an important  institution
that it should not be allowed to be exploited by illegal foreign  fishing vessels
that continue to fish in the river and take away what  should  benefit the
country. As regards this new bill, he said there should  be monitoring and
control measures that would usher in stringent measures   against any foreign
vessel that enters into our territorial waters. He added  that the bill should not
only stop at being ratified by the National Assembly,  but that there should
be a very strong team that will monitor and control our  territorial waters. He
said  passing the Fisheries Bill when proper  measures are not put in place
will mean that foreign vessels will continue to  exploit the country’s  most
vital resource.
The minority leader said the  present fisheries committee members comprise
mainly of directors. He urged that  some of the local fishermen with vast
knowledge in fishing should be  incorporated into the committee so that their ideas
can be utilisd. He added  that being a Gambian does not mean that one can hire
foreign vessels from  abroad, bring it into our territorial waters and do
fishing with non-Gambians  for one’s personal interest. He said this is not fair,
adding that any Gambian  who intends to hire foreign vessels should consider
employing Gambians so that  any fish species caught could be reported to the
ministry concern.
He  concluded that this is very important and timely and it needs a speedy
implementation.

Strides To Control Locust Gain Momentum
By Isatou  Bittaye
Strides to control locust in The Gambia, have gained momentum, as 12
regional Quest team members were recently trained on how to respond positively  to
any possible locust invasion in the country.
The acting project  coordinator of the Africa Emergency Locust Project (AELP)
in The Gambia, Mr.  Sheikh Tijan Sosseh, brainstormed with the participants
on the need for Quest  teams in the country and its importance, most
particularly, during locust  invasions. Mr. Sosseh advised the trainees that, as quest
team members, they  should work under one umbrella, support each other and
compliment each others  effort. He urged them to always define the objectives of
their work and deal  with people who are directly and indirectly exposed to the
dangers of pesticide  use such as distributors, sellers, application teams,
pesticide storekeepers,  the local population, amongst others.
Mr. Saikou Jammeh, from the  Agricultural Pest Management Unit (APMU), for
the Central River Region, exposed  the participants to the different
classifications of locust. He indicated that  locusts belong to the animal kingdom. He
further went on to introduce them to  the polymorphism phase of locust, the
difference between locust and  grasshoppers, revealing that the locust is a
gregarious species. Mr. Jammeh  lectured the participants on calibration which is
among  the other  necessary stages in locust control. Mr. Lang Kemo Kinteh,
Divisional  Agricultural coordinator for Lower River Region, made a presentation
on the  importance of Personal Protective Gears (PPG). He also informed the
trainees of  the impacts of pesticides if it penetrates the human body, as it is
very  effective.
Mr. Sheik Tijan Sosseh introduced the Global Positioning System  (GPS) to the
trainees and dwelt on the wider range of the use of the GPS. He  exposed the
trainees on the operation techniques, usefulness and sensitivity of  the GPS
during locust invasion. The trainees conducted a field exercise on the  use of
the Global Positioning System (GPS) to showcase their newly acquired  talents
at a farm in Karantaba in the Lower River Region.
Mr. Suwadou Badjie,  a Medical and Health Officer from the Department of
State for Health, exposed  the trainees to pesticide poisoning, safety and first
Aid, as well as incident  reporting forms during locust operation. He dwelt on
the consequences of the  improper use of pesticides during locust control to
the human health. Mr.  Abdoulie Colley of the National Environment Agency
(NEA), in his presentation on  the risk of pesticides, defines the term and the
types of risks, such as  occupational risk exposure and local population risk. He
also explained the  various ways in which the local community can be at risk
during spraying  operations. He reminded the trainees to noted that
contaminated equipment or  vehicle control base should not be close to dwelling places
and that people  should be advised to keep safe distance; that local people
should be informed  operation periods and at pre-harvest intervals. He also
informed them of the  dangers of the use of empty pesticide and urged the team to
remind people on the  risk of storing food or water in it.
The trainees again conducted another  field exercise to be shown the
effectiveness of the pesticides where they  created traps in an empty field at the
outskirt of Jenoi both in treated and  untreated area. The trainees collected the
traps in the next day and separated  the catches and the unwanted drops and
were shown the effectiveness of the  chemicals and its dangers to the human
health.
Mr. Harouna Jallow from  AFRIMED, a non-governmental health institute, gave
the participants a wider  background on cholinesterase. He also buttressed on
the importance of  cholinesterase test and the need for it. Mr. Jallow said
that it is important  for the regional Quest team members to be tested before
spraying operation and  after operation inorder to know their baseline
cholinesterase.

“No Plans  To Rebuild Pakalinding Ice Plant”
SoS Fisheries
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Yankuba Touray, the Secretary of State for Fisheries and Water  Resources,
has said that his Department of State has no plans to rebuild the  Pakalinding
Ice Plant in the Lower River Region.
SOS Touray was responding to  a question from the National Assembly Member
for Jarra West, Njie Darboe, who  believed that the ice plant had been very
useful to farmers in the Lower River  Region.
“I would like to inform the august assembly that my Department of  State has
no plans to rebuild the Pakalinding Ice Plant. However, my Department  of
State is on the verge of developing a project document for possible funding  from
our development partners to establish cold storage facilities in strategic
locations across the country, including Soma in the Lower River Region,” the SOS
 said.
Mr. Touray added that the Pakalinding Ice Plant could be revisited by  the
local government to revitalise it through the decentralisation  process.
He also stated that the private sector can also venture in to  rebuilding the
plant.

FOTGA Donates To Needy Students
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay& Madiba Singhateh
At a presentation ceremony held in their office  at Kotu on Tuesday 11
September 2007, the FOTGA country representative, Mr.  Ousainou Joof, said FOTGA is
blessed with a dedicated Board who are doing  everything possible to raise
funds for programme implementation in the country  and that they have raised over
ten (10) million dalasis to support programmes  and projects in The Gambia.
Mr. Joof indicated that 50% of these funds were  spent on scholarships for
children. He noted that the committee frequently ships  in containers filled with
valuable items, among them medical and other general  items, which many
institutions have benefited from. Mr. Joof indicated that in  2005/2006, FOTGA
sponsored 200 students from nursery to university levels  covering full tuition and
other costs such as book bills, uniforms, shoes,  school bags, school lunch
money and, in many cases, bags of rice for families of  many sponsored
students. “Today we will again witness another distribution of  rice, cooking oil and
sugar to the children,” said Mr. Joof.
The executive  director of NGO Affairs, Mr. Lamin Dibba, said Education is an
important aspect  for the rapid socio-economic development of any country.
Mr. Dibba called on  FOTGA to sustain and up-scale efforts in mobilizing more
resources to sponsor  more students to complete their basic, secondary and
tertiary  education.
At the end of the programme, sponsored students were given  cheques for the
full payment of their school bills and other needs. Momodou Max  Jallow
coordinated the program. Mr. Madi Jatta represented the SoS for Basic and  Secondary
Education and Mr. Ousman Ndow, a member of the Board, were present  including
the beneficiaries and their parents. Friends of The Gambia Association
(FOTGA), is a UK based Non-Governmental Organisation operating in The Gambia  over
the past decade. FOTGA complements government efforts in enhancing  education
for all, particularly the poor. The organisation is currently  providing full
scholarship for almost 300 children at all grades including the  university.
They are also contributing in constructing and rehabilitating  schools, women
gardens and health facilities around the country. British  Philanthropists
created FOTGA in 1990 on the sole aim of collecting charities  for needy Gambians.

Ten Gidda Residents In The Dock Over Land  Dispute
By Modou Jonga
Ten residents of Gidda, in Kombo East district,  were on Monday 17 September,
2007 arraigned in court and jointly charged with an  alleged offence of
willful damage to property contrary to section 312 of the  Criminal Code.
The accused persons are alleged to have unlawfully an  willfully damaged the
mud block houses of the following; Aji Camara, valued at  thirteen thousand,
two hundred and ninety-nine dalasis, Isatou Badjie; valued at  nine thousand
four hundred and twenty-five dalasis, Abdou Sankareh; value  unknown, Katim
Sowe; valued at ten thousand nine hundred and fifty dalasis, Sang  Pierre Mendy;
valued at two thousand three hundred and thirty dalasis and Modou  Sawaneh;
value unknown.
The total value of the alleged willfully damaged  houses is said to be about
thirty-six thousand four hundred dalasis. The accused  persons who pleaded not
guilty before Magistrate Njie are in the persons of Musa  Njie, Lamin Jarju,
Lamin E. Jarju, Edi Jarju, Modou D M Jatta, Bolong Nyassi,  Bakary Nyassi,
Omar Jarju, Dembo Jatta and Dembo Ceesay.
The prosecutor was  Corporal 413 Sanyang. The case was deferred to 20
September.

Change at  the Ministry, Will There Be Change?
By Modou Nyang
Alhagie Mass Axi Gai,  replacing Sheikh Omar Faye at the helm at the
Department of State for Sports,  has left many to think what they had been hoping for
has come.
Axi is a true  representation of Football and by extension one can also say
sports. But what  makes a system work has more to do with personalities. The
new SoS has inherited  one of the most unfunded Department of State and also one
of the most demanding  portfolios due to the high expectations by the general
populace.
Running a  ministry with a slim budget that needed sharing between another
two portfolios  is what any body responsible for the running of Sports in the
Gambia must be  worried about. Sports involves the investment of huge sums of
money and how and  where to source the badly needed funds, is something that
needs attention.
The new Sports Supremo will also have to look at how to revitalise the other
sporting activities that are taking on a spiraling down turn. Athletics for
instance enjoy a strong dominance in the junior categories in the sub-region
but  this feat is non existent in the senior ranks. The recent  outings at the
All-Africa Games and the World Championships in Athletics in Algeria and
Japan,  respectively, was an indication just how poor our athletes are at the top
level.  Basketball, Volleyball and Handball need special attention if they are
to serve  their mandate fully. And the gains that are being made at the
junior level in  Tennis need support to enable the players break into the World
Series.
All  these need funding and one will not be wrong to assert that there is
seemingly a  donor fatigue in the country. Or better still a lack of market
oriented sporting  programs. However, funds need to be sourced if we want to get to
where we  desire.
Our new Minister is going into that office at the quadrangle with a  lot of
experience especially when it has to do with football. He, as the 2nd  Vice
President of the Gambia Football Association, was the focal person between  the
Football Association and the Sports Ministry and, as such, gathers a lot of
knowledge on what the GFA, as an Association needs in terms of finance and other
 logistics. So we do not expect to see any lapses in that aspect.
Here we will  be sports biased, but Youth and Religious affairs too need the
expert attention  of the top Sports administrator in the country. In the mean
time, we just  welcome our dear friend to a friendly sporting atmosphere.

Gambia Foreign  Stars Roundup
By Modou Nyang
Austria – Pa Saikou Kujabi returned to club  action on Saturday from
International duty playing a goalless draw at home with  FC Wacker Innsbruck. The
speedy Scorpions left back was not involved in the  match.
Modou Jange saw it all on Saturday as his side SC Rheindorf Altach  lost 2-0
to Lask Linz. The defeat meant Altach are one step from the bottom of  the
table. Whilst Ried are in seventh in the ten team Bundesliga.
Belgium –  SK Lierse won 2-0 with Mustapha Jarjue setting up the opener
before suffering a  knock in the 84th minute and then replaced by fellow countryman
Assan Jatta.
In the same Belgian 2nd division league, Ebrima Sawaneh is leading the goal
scoring chart for Beveren. The uncapped Gambian helped his club collect their
first three points on Saturday in a 1-0 win over Royal Union SG.
Cyprus –  Kamal Ndow and his club Doxa Katokopia picked their first win of
the new Cypriot  football league season winning 1-0 on Sunday at home against
Apollon Limassol.  Doxa lost their first match to Apoel early this month on
September  2nd.
Denmark – Njogu Demba’s Esbjerg were hammered 3-1 on Monday by FC
Nordsjælland. Demba’s side were trailing three goals down before the end of the  first
period and the Scorpions’ striker partner Jesper Lange, managed to pull  one
back in the 80th minute.
England – Edrissa Sonko was hit for Walsall on  Saturday as he came off the
bench to setup Walsall’s two goals to earn them  their first win of the season.
Sonko entered the field in just before half time  and freed Daniel Fox to put
them ahead. And the Gambian Captain setup Troy  Deeney in the 86th to fire
home the winner.
Finland – Dawda Bah’s HJK played  a goalless draw on Sunday providing a
relatively good start for new manager Aki  Hyryläinen following the sacking of
former coach Keith Armstrong on September  5th.
Demba Savage and Abdoulie Corr (Paco) also continue their fine run of  form
in the Finnish second tier league winning 3-2 in their earlier fixture  against
Klubi 04 on 9th September. Savage scored Kokkolan Palloveikot (KPV)  second
goal. And when Paco returned from Scorpions’ duty KPV managed a 1 all  draw.
Holland – Ebou Sillah and his new club MVV Maastricht on Monday played  a 2-2
draw with Top Oss. Maastricht took the lead in the 33rd minute before
fallowing behind in the second but a ninety minute goal from Tobiassen save the  day
for the home team.
Norway – Tijan Jaiteh was not in action over the  weekend as Brann cruised to
a 4-0 away victory to Fredrikstad extending their  lead on the league table
to 42. But Ebrima Sohna’s Sandefjord continue to sink  down the league pecking
order as they suffered yet another 3-1 home defeat at  the hands of Valerenga
on Sunday. Both Sohna and Jaiteh were not in action for  their respective
clubs.
Peru – Yankuba Ceesay’s Allianza Athletico on Sunday  won 2-1 at home to San
Martin. Mal was in action for the entire game and got  book in the process.
Sweden – Goalkeeper Pa Dembo Touray and his Swedish  Allsvenskan side
Djurgarden IF drew 1-1 with Trelleborg on Monday narrowing  their push for the league
title.
USA – both Sainey Nyassi and Abdoulie  Mansally were not involved when their
club New England Revolution won FC Dallas  4-2 on Saturday. Sainey was an
unused substitute whilst Mansally was not  listed.