GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:51:47 -0000
Sister Amie:

Thanks for a thoughtful e-mail. By the way, I also happen to hold the same
views as yours. In fact, it would be inspiring, I would have thought, to
publish (on the Net or in newspapers) the works of Gambians who have
excelled in their respective disciplines.

After all, there was nothing wrong in sending the MA Thesis to Gambia-L.
Maybe, I was trying to set higher standards for myself in terms of
integrity/honesty.

In any case, Theses and Journals, though scholarly in nature, are still
meant for public consumption/information. In fact, some of the theses
submitted to my own Department are available online. Anybody who is in for
an open society would not mind to have his or her Thesis seen or read by a
wider public.

What happened was that I was with a Nigerian Research Student when I sent
the Thesis yesterday, and he insisted that I was wrong in doing so. So, in
reality, he was the one who confused me. Subsequently, it turned out that
there was nothing wrong in sending a Thesis to the Internet.

Again, WE should never hesitate to encourage/praise those Gambians who have
excelled in their areas.

Take Larry King of CNN as an example. The guy is filty rich, and in fact he
is a better interviewer/broadcaster/cross-examiner than most of his
colleagues in the USA media.

But, all the same, Larry King praises/encourages everybody, including, of
course, his own competitors/colleagues. In fact, at times, he would even be
subservient to some of them. Yet, Larry King, in real life, does not need
anything from these people, and besides, he is more successful than most of
them. But he never stops praising/encouraging his colleagues.

So this "ego sickness" in some of us should be put aside and as such,
whoever in our midst, is doing well in education, business, sports,
technology, medicine, agriculture etc should be strongly
supported/encouraged.

Ebrima