GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Matarr M. Jeng." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:50:45 -0400
> Date:          Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:23:05 -0400
> From:          "Habib Ghanim, Sr" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       FROM BBC African News servicee today
> To:            [log in to unmask]

> World: Africa
>
>              Gambian journalist arrested
>

>              A journalist for one of Gambia's main newspapers is
>              under arrest, after reporting about an alleged shoot-out at
>
>              the birthplace of President Jammeh.
>
>              The journalist, Allieu Badara Sowe, who works for the
>              Daily Observer, recounted reports from local people who
>              said the Gambian army had been involved in the
>              shooting last month. The article then demanded the
>              government act to stop the rumours. The BBC Banjul
>              correspondent said the Gambian armed forces chief has
>              denied involvement in any such incident.
>
>              From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Habib the following is from the observer today the 17th. September.
The other article is from yesterdays  observer about the alleged
shoot-out.
Greetings
Matarr M. Jeng.

 NIA questions Observer editor, reporter

 The editor-in-chief of the Daily Observer, Sheriff Bojang, and senior
 reporter Alieu Badara Sowe, were invited for questioning at the
 National Intelligence Agency, yesterday morning following the
 publication of Wednesday's front page lead story, 'What Happened at
 Kanilai?' Mr Bojang was briefly questioned and released.  However, Mr
 Sowe had not been released up to press time.

Speaking after his return from the NIA headquarters, Mr Bojang said,
"I and Alieu were invited to the NIA and the managing director,
Sarriang Ceesay, volunteered to drive us.  Upon arrival, I was asked
to clarify certain statements in the article.  I told the officers
that I published the articlebecause the subject matter was a story
waiting to be told; that we had tried all possible means of soliciting
clarifications from government and militaryofficials to no avail; and
that Alieu has a good pedigree as a reporter. He is not in the
business of submitting concocted stories. I told them that the article
was not designed to cause undue alarm, but that we were trying to
pacify the sea of speculation on the issue, and also provoke
government to make a public statement on what actually happened on or
about the night of August, 7. I wrote my statement and was thanked for
my cooperation and asked to go. ".

 The Daily Observer Published at 12:00pm G.M.T September 16, 1999

 What happened at Kanilai?

 For almost four weeks, there have been incessant rumours in the
 country about a shoot-out at President Jammeh's home village of
 Kanilai, while he was residing there during his annual leave.

 Kanilai is a village situated about two kilometres from the border
 with Casamance.Following spurious speculations, the Daily Observer
 mounted an investigation. On the evening of Friday, August 6, a
 rattle of gun shots lasting several
minutes, were heard in the direction of the village.

The next morning, Saturday, August 7, tense security was seen in the
area, and later in the evening, there was unusual high security  at
Denton bridge, Banjul, with thorough searching of vehicles. Rumours of
an assassination attempt and an abortive coup were zealously peddled
in town. According to sources from the village, on the night of
Friday, August 6, a Senegalese helicopter allegedly came hovering over
the president's farm and flashed powerful lights.  A brief exchange of
fire ensued and the helicopter flew back to its base, presumably in
Senegalese territory.

A certain Mr Sonko, reported to be an officer of the National
Intelligence Agency (NIA), reportedly sustained a bullet wound around
his ribs and was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of the Royal
Victoria Hospital from where he was flown to Egypt for further
treatment. Sonko was reportedly escorted to Egypt by a medic of the
GNA, Sgt Kalifa Manneh. For over a month now, all efforts to get
clarification on the issue have proved futile and rumours still
abound. Many people believe the government should make a statement on
the issue to clarify doubts lingering in the minds of many Gambians..