GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 13:31:29 -0700
 On behalf of the UDP i would like to thank the ALD
organising committee for disallowing me to speak for
over 147,000 Gambian people who support the UD.
I must thank all the ladies and gentlemen who took
their time and made to the ALD conference.Mr Gomez
must know that i am not a dictator who force himself
to lead the people.I am an official of the UDP and i
was democratically elected to represent the interest
of the party at a UDP congress in Brikama on the 29th
May 1998.I was not hand pick by any mamber of the
party and secondly i scored over 4000 votes in the
last National Assembly Elections which today some
people who talk nonsense in parliament didn't
scored.Today there are members who representing only
500 votes and i think i have more voice than those
APRC MPs.

I will report more on this when i am ready.
Saihou

--- astrid christensen-tasong <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

<HR>
<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Mr Jassey:</P></DIV>
<P>With all due respect, you are not setting the
record straight by saying that the ALD organisers did
not reach out to The Gambian community in the Metro
area and beyond.&nbsp; On the contrary, EVERY ONE was
invited to participate in the planning of the ALD but
as usual, everyone likes to take the back seat and
"nit pick".&nbsp; Give credit where it's due...if you
feel that the ALD was a two man show...well that's
because YOU know of two people giving their all to
make it a success.&nbsp; </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Please criticize constructively!</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Astrid Christensen</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>From: MLJ Conteh <[log in to unmask]></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: The Gambia and related-issues
mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: ALD Symposium
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:29:57 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;James:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I hereby repeat that the ALD symposium
was a two-man
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;initiative and that Mr. MBallow had
requested to represent the UDP and you turned him
down. I hope Mr. MBallow had read
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;your posting, so that he can set light
to your denial.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I am not here to personally attack you,
but to set the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;record straight. I hope you will reach
out to more
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Gambians in metro DC area to be part of
next year's events.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;You indicated that Dr. Nyang was going
to participate and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;you never explained why he did not show
up. You have a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;right to sit on the fence. It is
disturbing that you
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;work for an organization that is
fighting fearlessly for
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the rights of African Americans.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I hope you have a good year and I look
forward to working
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;with you next year.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Naphiyo,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;------Original Message------
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "James Gomez Jr."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sent: May 29, 2001 8:23:14 PM GMT
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: ALD Symposium
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Let me start by thanking the entire
participants in the ALD celebration this past weekend.
I thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule
to join us during our annual Gambian ALD reunion.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I want to set the record straight
regarding the ALD symposium last weekend. The ALD
organizing committee is a non-partisan organization
and the symposium was NEVER intended as a campaign
event for a united opposition. This was communicated
to all parties (APRC, UDP, NRP, and PDOIS) well before
their confirmation to participate in the symposium
without objects.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Our goal was to provide all parties an
opportunity to present their agenda for the Gambia and
to have a civil conversation with the audience on
Democracy, Human Rights, and the up coming election.
All parties and members of the Gambia-L were informed
about the invited participants and there was not a
single objection from any party. The question then was
the possibility of convincing all parties to
participate and we succeeded.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Comrade ML Jassey-Conten's statement on
the ALD being a two-man initiative is absolutely
nonsense. Gambians on the L and around the D.C. area
were invited to meeting in preparation for the ALD.
Their decision not to participate for whatever reason
(s) is beyond our control.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;We were communicating directly with Mr.
Ousainou Darboe regarding his participation. We
learned of his decision to pull out of the symposium
from the Gambia-L. When we called and talked with him
that night, he never mentioned any replacement for him
and I'm sure Mr. Darboe knew that Mr. Saihou Mballow
and other UDP officials including Ousainou's brother
were in the U.S. In fact, Mr. Dardoe's brother was a
panelist among with Dr. Nyang and Dr. Saine during a
conference we held two years ago at Howard University.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The absent of a UDP representative was
the fault of the UDP. If you can recall, Mr. Darboe
was the first panelist to confirm only to pull out
three days before the event. This was after meetings
with members of Congress, the State Department, and
NGOs were scheduled and confirmed for him. It was
after we informed him that all parties will be
represented in Washington but UDP that he decided to
rush to Washington. We were racing against time
because the event started very late as a result of
people arriving late as usual. Because of the time
factor, our first priority was on the party
representatives from Gambia and not on reading a
statement that can be photocopy or posted on any
website/distribution list for anybody to access.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I called upon the UDP leadership to
explain to the people the reason(s) for pulling out of
the symposium on the day and after the time they were
scheduled to arrive in Washington.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I appreciate all the criticism for I am
not perfect. I love to listen to other opinions
because it helps me understand people's reactions and
also help me to be more tolerance. We have done our
best and whether you appreciate it or not, we will
keep on trying.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;James Gomez, Jr.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ALD Coordinator
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To unsubscribe/subscribe or view
archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Web interface at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;You may also send subscription requests
to [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;if you have problems accessing the web
interface and remember to write your full name and
e-mail address.
[...]
<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of
MSN Explorer at <a