GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:10:40 -0500
Hello, another response to this discussion from an African-American
Muslim woman.  BTW, I'd wanted to get input from other African or
African-American Muslims on this issue, since Islam was brought into
the discussion.  And I feel I'm straying into an area that I just
don't know that much about.  The post follows:

Ginny, I must say that your response to Kabir was excellent.
Obviously, Kabir wants to blame Islam and as you rightfully put it, no
matter what you say
or do, he will continue to blame Islam.

The article I felt was weak in trying to make this connection.  But
the blame Islam game is very popular today.  If someone wear to ask me
as an African
American how do I feel about the fact that Muslims owned slaves, I
would say this...

Name one race of people that did not practice one form of oppression
or slavery on another?  In Europe, Europeans owned slaves but it was
called serfdom,
but you were tied to the land that you worked, you couldn't free
yourself of the debt that you owed the feudal lords and your family
would inherit the
same position that you were in.  That's almost identical to Black
slaves in America where if your grandfather was a slave, you were
automatically a slave.

When I read Kabir's comments, I kept thinking, "People who live in
glass houses shouldn't throw stones."  Is he not aware of the fact
that Africans owned
other Africans?  Is he willing to admit that some Africans sold other
Africans into slavery or that Arabs owned other Arabs.  Kabir must
think that people
only owned slaves of races different than their own but that's not
true.  Whether it is race, tribal status, religion, skin color, etc,
there has always
been a mechanism in power to keep one group on top and the other on
the bottom.  Will he not address a very modern form of slavery called
sweatshop work
where people work for 14 hours a day non-stop, sometimes at gunpoint,
for 10 cents a day (or a week in some places).  How does Islam play
into that?

Every race of people at one time or another was the oppressor or the
oppressed and as much as Kabir may not realize this, Christian, Muslim
and Jewish Africans
and Arabs owned slaves.   No one is free of this since slavery is an
institution that goes back into the days of early human history but if
he is content
to lay it all at the feet of Islam with these glaring facts before
him, well that's just denial.

I am sorry if I sound so cynical and none of my annoyance is directed
at any sister on this group but rather at these people who want to
blame all the ills
of the world on Islam.  Kabir and others would be better off studying
the history of Black Islamic figures like Bilah ibn Rabah, Nana
Asma'u, El-Hajj Malik
al-Shabazz, Muhammad Ali, Amadou Bamba, Usman dan Fodio, Umar Tal and
others (may God bless them all and keep them).

--
Visit my blog at: http://GinnysThoughts.blogspot.com/

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい