GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MLJ Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 06:54:05 -0400
Mr. Gai:

Your message of refraining from tribal identification
is indeed a stance you must continue to preach.  Tribal
politics has no basis in The Gambia, especially when
the opposition has a lot at stake.  No single opposition
party can claim to have the soul right of flushing out
The Gambian dictator.  We must collectively join hands
in this far-reaching endeavor.

I hope I am not mistaken, but I want to welcome you to
this fold.  Our struggle to unseat the dictator of kaninlai
can materialize when people like you are willing to
denounce tribal politics.  We must understand that there
is no single Gambian who can claim to be 100% one tribe.
Our tribal identification and our desire of belonging
to a specific tribe have caused much unwarranted
disunity.  Some politicians may claim to be anti-tribe,
but deep down in their hearts, they are bent on carrying
an evil message of promoting one tribe.

I wholeheartedly cannot endorse a political party that
dances around the subject of tribalism.  It is paramount
that we hear from our opposition leaders on this
sensitive subject.

I hope my open letter on tribalism and other important
issues will be replied to.  Until then, we must continue
to demand positions that each opposition party intends
to take of being the servants of The Gambian people.  We
must not give them blanket support.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh