GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
YERO MAMA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:36:01 +0000
Gassa,
     The source of the decision that sent Marc out stems from
recommendations received from our own mission in Belgium(according to the
stories we saw on the media and elsewhere within the cirlces of Banjul's
administration).

Why not for the sake of objective judgement,that anyone who wishes to go
deeper on what led to the current statusquo reach our brothers and sisters
at Belgium and hear more,instead of BLINDLY defending or offending the
parties concerned.I would suggest that an independent party on line finds
out and then reports for us here the otherside of the coin.People like me
maybe branded as bias ones if we were to say a word in defense of the
regime! So let those enquiring be independent from any political or
adminitrative strings whatsoever.

The second part of my argument is that;as far as the reaction of the EU is
concerned,it all depends on the outcome of the forthcoming meeting that will
comprise of the Africa group and other parties that are affected.The
decision to send Marc out would be weighed and balanced at that meeting thus
give us the EU'S standpoint.Contrary to any other decision at least this one
has got all professional components together and an explanation has been
forwarded to the public.
Lets also remember that;its a case affecting Marc(as a profesional who's
accused of being biased and not harbouring any respect for the authorities
of his host country)that is being treated via the codes of conduct as
stipulated in the regulations governing the (EU officials-host countries
relations).Therefore branding the host gvt's move as childish etc would not
help the situation either.
Ofcourse no gvt whether African or not will say:"i do not need the EU!" No!
because its a body and a force to reckon with.However,aid shouldn't be laid
on one's shoulders with lashes from throngs.
For those who accuse the Gambia of prostituting countries like Taiwan etc
for political reasons my question is;WHERE IN POLITICS CAN WE FIND A PORTION
THATS COMPLETELY FREE FROM INTEREST-RIDDEN APPROACHES?
Did you read or hear about the latest on THE USA Gvt's readiness to present
Diesel sub concepts to Taiwan?!
Where will that be classified...? Under prostituting them or political
interest? Is it easy to defend the two?
Politically The Mainland China may feel offended isn't that a Geo-political
problem?
In this case i wouldn't blame the Americans neither would i blame
Beijing.What matters here is interest and not pounding chests!
The relativity in all political problems or challenges is always there, so
intelligent moves may sometimes appear sour to others.If the aftermath of
Marc's departure will be useful for the Gambia so be it,likewise if his stay
was for our interest then i am confident that the parties concerned will
resort to professional methods and technics!
Remember that Marc had only four months to go,so the Gambia Gvt may not be
that in a hurry to wait for only FOUR MONTHS!.The move i am sure was well
calculated and lets see if Marc's slate as far as his career is concerned
won't be affected at the end.Remember that there are rules set for all EU
officials abroad especially those in countries like ours.The EU bureacracy
shuns any EU official whose found to be discharging his or her duties with
disrespect to the authorities of any host country! The body is very much
sensitive to such behaviour.
Until the outcome of the committee thats charged with the responsibility of
looking into the above expulsion comes out with a statement on behalf of the
EU, my position on the above is nothing else other than that of the Mandingo
proverb "n'ganna baal dundi leh".Direct translation "my goats are kept at
home"-meaning i reserve my opinion for a while.

Yeropulloh!

>From: Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Gambian 'Foreign Policy' in a state of Flux
>Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:22:03 +0000
>From [log in to unmask] Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:24:46 -0800
>Sender:       The Gambia and related-issues mailing list
>
>Momodou Mboge,
>
>Let me first of all start with your last sentence in which you wrote: "God
>safe us from your 'madness'." No Mr. Mboge God will not safe anybody from
>what you consider my "madness". The Gambia belongs to all of us and we all
>have a stake in it.
>
>You also wrote:
>
>"You commended MR GOMEZ on his rather ambiguous piece on  the need of
>political tolerance in the Gambia yet all and sundry know that it is your
>lot who cannot deal with criticism. Those of us who oppose the APRC and the
>Jammeh government are more than accommodating but we will not tolerate or
>negotiate our basic human rights and freedoms."
>
>No Mboge, you've got it wrong. If this government does not want to be
>criticised, it would not have opened a website for all and sundry to air
>their views. This is a listening government.
>
>You again wrote:
>
>"Your bragging about that some of us in the opposition believe that we
>depend on the largesse of the West for survival is absolute nonsensical
>piffle.  Jammeh and his lot are not inpendent, his government is ready to
>sleep with any monster who offer him some dough.  We know about his
>prostitution of Gambian sovereignty to the Libyans, Taiwanese and all those
>sick Arab states hallucinating about muslim brotherhood."
>
>Again you are off the mark. This government wants to co-exist with all
>other
>governments regardless of ideology. What we will not accept is for any
>nation to believe that because they offer us aid, they can dictate to us
>how
>we should run our lives. This has been denied us for more than three
>hundred
>years and we are saying enough is enough. Do not forget also that some of
>these nations need us as much as we need them.
>
>You also wrote:
>
>"Our tourism industry was distroyed the insan and stupid policies of this
>criminal regime."
>
>My friend we know what role tourism plays in our economy. Therefore we will
>not jeopardise all the efforts that we've put into it by way of promoting
>it
>and developing infrastructures to meet the requirements of the tourists. In
>fact was it not only a few weeks back that I posted, on the L, an article
>indicating that The Gambia won the best stand at the recently held tourism
>fair?
>
>Apart from promoting the sector, there is now a tourism development board
>that acts as a one stop shop for those wishing to invest in tourism in The
> [...]

"YEROMAMA PULORI GALO HAAWA BAROGEL N'DIMOU"
"Speak the speeches and let the speeches not spit you."