GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 23:29:29 EDT
Issue No. 97/2007, 22 – 23 August,  2007

Editorial
Public Corporations for Sale
The Public Needs  Urgent Feedback to Dispel Rumours
The government of the Gambia has a  divestiture agency to oversee the process
of privatization of public  enterprises. The government has had shares in
Hotels like Senegambia Beach Hotel  and enterprises like Gambia Cotton Company
(GAMCOT) Banjul Breweries Ltd and so  on.
Government has either sold or is trying to sell its shares in some of  these
enterprises. GGC which fell on government’s lap after the 11.4 million
dollars settlement to Alimenta after government took over the company is now to  be
privatised again. Will government get 11.4 million dollars for it? This
constitutes the economic loss of not abiding by the rule of law with
circumspection. Secondly, government promises to dispose of the shares of the  Cotton
Company publicly. Thirdly, government is focusing on the divestiture  programme for
GPTC, GIA and Management Services Agency.
Government has  ordered a study of the technical environment and financial
assessment of GPTC  and GIA to pave the way for their divestiture transactions.
It is anticipated  that once this is complete clues shall be taken as to what
to do with GAMCEL,  GAMTEL and NAWEC. Public corporations are public
properties. The Divestiture  Agency should be required to have television and radio
programmes to explain how  far the privatisation programme have gone. This is
what is meant by transparency  and accountability. Last week we approached the
Public Procurement Agency for an  interview on their functions and major
achievements in promoting efficiency and  save resources in adapting procurement
measures. Guess what, the officers of an  independent agency claim that they must
get authorization from finance to speak  to the press.
We hope finance will tell the Director Generals of all agencies  that they
are only bound to be accountable to the public, otherwise they should  be
absorbed as government departments and save the cost of establishing separate
administration we will contact the Divestiture Agency to get the  facts.

CIVIL-MILITARY RELATIONS SEMINAR ENDS
By Yaya  Dampha
Over sixty representatives from the Civil Society, The Gambia Armed  Forces
and the other law enforcement agencies are on a three-day seminar at the  Joint
Officers Mess in Kotu. Participants are drawn from Government Departments,
the National Assembly, the Army and other security units, civil society
organisations, the media and representatives of political parties.
In her  introductory remarks, Madam Lange Schermerhorn, US Charged D’
affaires, said she  was pleased to join the participants in their discussion. She said
The Gambia  has a strong tradition of an apolitical armed forces being
clearly subordinated  to civil authorities. She commended The Gambia Armed Forces
for hosting the  programme, which shows a sign of healthy civil-military
relations in The  Gambia.
Charge D’affaires Lange said West Africa and, indeed, all of the  world
today, are being shaken and reformed by globalization; that the challenges  and
opportunities opened up by global markets are reshaping all economies and
nations.
She observed that the interests of countries in this 21 century are
converging. She said that people find themselves collaborating to face  challenges
ranging from keeping peace to responding to disasters such as  earthquakes and
tsunamies.
In his opening remarks, Brigadier-General Lang  Tombong Tamba, the Chief of
Defence Staff, informed the gathering that it is the  duty of the military to
assist the civilian population on request, as this  moment presents
opportunities to fortify the relation. The Chief of the Armed  Forces agrees that years
back the civil military relation was not as cordial as  it is today. He said
the misunderstandings and frictions have diminished. Tamba  called on the
military and civil society to exercise dialogue, tolerance,  discipline,
professionalism and openness to nurture the bond of relation between  the military and
civilians.

“ZERO TOLERANCE TO CIVILIAN  HARRASSMENT”
By Yaya Dampha
At the end of the civil-military relations  seminar at the Joint Officers
Mess on Thursday, the Chief of Defence Staff,  Brigadier General Lang Tombong
Tamba, has informed the participants that there  would be ‘Zero Tolerance’ in
the Army when it comes to intimidation and  harassment of civilians.
Tamba assured the participants that the  civil-military relations have
changed for good and that the two camps should now  see each other as one family. He
went on to commend the Center for  Civil-Military Relations Africa Program
Manager, Rtd. Colonel Mensch and  Professor Letitia Lawson who facilitated the
three days seminar.
Brigadier-General Tamba said the purpose of the seminar was to discuss
civil-military relations and military professionalism in general with special
emphasis on the role of the Armed Forces in time of peace, and relations between
the security forces and the legislative branch of government. He said it is a
right move in the right direction.
Brigadier General Tamba emphasized that  the military is here for the public,
noting that they need public support to  make their task of safeguarding them
realisable.  He urged the public to  see them (soldiers) as their sons,
daughters, etc. He pointed out that they  (soldiers) are servants of the people. He
noted that once the public gives them  (the soldiers) the support they need
they would be more accommodative to them.  He assured his audience that his
forces would not intimidate or harass  civilians.
He went on to say that the public must understand the role of the  military
in society and urged civil society to educate the public so that they  can have
a clear perspective. He acknowledged their responsibility to sensitize  the
public for them to understand the roles and functions of the military and
advocated for the sharing of experience with civil society, noting that the
officers’ mess is open to civilians. He was quick to point out that in other
countries, an officers’ mess is open only to the military. “Our doors are open,”
he said. He indicated that their public relations department has been willing
to  entertain media practitioners. “It is always available to the media for
information,” he remarked.
In conclusion, the Chief of Defense Staff  emphasized: “There is no soldier
or officer who will willfully wish to use his  gun against his/her
brother/sister. They will not use them against you  unnecessarily.”
For his part, Colonel Mensch commended participants for  giving themselves
time to be part of the seminar, considering their diverse  nature of duties. He
said the seminar would increase the level of mutual  understanding on the part
of the armed forces and civil society regarding their  respective roles,
missions and responsibilities in a democracy.
Participants  prepared a plan of action to guide future contacts between
Armed/security forces  and civil society, which was handed over to Chief of
Defense Staff Brigadier  General Lang Tombong Tamba. The CDS commended the
participants for creating a  road map to guide the relations in the future. The
participants were also  awarded with certificates of participation, which were
presented to them by the  Chief of Defense Staff.

EFA ENDS REGIONAL BUDGET
TRACKING  WORKSHOP
By Isatou Bittaye
A five day budget tracking workshop ended on  Friday at the Paradise Suites
Hotel. The workshop which was jointly organised by  Africa Network Campaign for
Education for All and Education for All Network  (EFANET) The Gambia, brought
participants from various countries in  Africa.
Speaking at the closing ceremony, Ms. Adelaide Sosseh, Chairperson of
EFANET, noted that the workshop would yield good results and contribute to  making
the participants more capable, efficient and courageous advocates. Ms.  Sosseh
said that advocacy is not an easy thing because it is a double edged  sword
which empowers the poor and marginalised but at the same time poses a risk  to
the advocates for when people demand for their rights, the advocates can be
accused of being ringleaders and trouble makers with dire consequences.
She  added that the solution to this problem is informed advocacy that is
getting  facts and figures right and building strategic alliances to ensure that
the  messages reach the right audiences who can influence policy decisions.
Ms.  Sosseh further said that the Education Department has recognised and
appreciated  the role of Civil Society Organisations in education policy, planning
and  programming and have also engaged and dialogued with CSOs at all levels.
Ms.  Sosseh asked whether the workshop has achieved its objectives; if
expectations  had been met and fears allayed. She added that it is only the
participants who  can answer such questions. Ms. Sosseh noted that the workshop brought
in sharing  of knowledge and information from diverse backgrounds and
experience. It also  showcases a merging of cultures from various African countries,
high quality of  facilitation and participation and also tolerance, respect and
caring for each  other.
Also, speaking at the closing, the coordinator of ANCEFA, Mr. Gorgi  Sowe,
said that there is need to build one voice on Civil Society Organisation.  Mr.
Sowe added that the capacity of CSOs should be built inorder to analyse
policies. He said that there is also need for monitoring levels. Mr. Sowe  indicated
that the IMF and World Bank Policies on Education are problems in  achieving
the EFA goals such as the policy of recruiting unqualified teachers.  He said
that inorder to get quality education, quality teachers are needed. Mr.  Sowe
indicated that budget tracking is the shortcut for CSOs to make evidence  and
skills needed to be built inorder to be heard and recognised by national
government, build alliances with National Assembly Members and the Media.
In  his closing remarks, the Permanent Secretary, Department of State for
Basic and  Secondary Education, Mr. Babucarr Bouy, encouraged the participants to
utilise  the skills acquired in the workshop in their advocacy work. He said
that  advocacy work can be very sensitive but all depends on the manner of
approach.  The P.S, noted that advocacy work does not need confrontation and
urged the  participants to be mindful in the context of transferring skills and
knowledge.  Mr. Bouy advised the participants to engage the Ministry of
Education in  identifying simple inputs in budget tracking and the Ministry of Finance
to  compact the miscellaneous items on the budget because sometimes they
could hide  the real budget. He indicated that in 2008 the Education Department
would be  working with EFA and all its partners to select some critical inputs
in  education and put it to test. Mr. Bouy said that The Gambia has a well
sensitised National Assembly that understands the rules of advocacy  work.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
IS MONEY LIFE?
Part 7
Lang  Confronts Chaneh
“You public bitch! You think you can spoil my life? You are  mistaken. I love
my wife I told you. Why did you explain our affair to her? Why  can’t you be
discreet?” Lang soft-pedalled. He is weak towards Chaneh. Chaneh  explained
herself. “I was hurt about your failed appointment. I expected you. I  have some
new techniques for you. I felt bad when you failed to turn up. Now you  are
shared between two women Hellen and myself. You cannot cheat on me. Its  wrong.
Destiny has brought us together. I cannot marry Essa and you cannot  totally
be faithful to Hellen. This is our portion. We have to live by it.”  Chaneh
gave him an irresistible lip kiss. Lang woke up from his trance. He freed
himself from Chaneh’s grip and rushed to his wife.
Hellen Packs Up
Hellen  packed up her belongings. Lang came in time. He tried to stop her.
Hellen  sparked like fire. “Don’t touch me! You are a liar and a cheat! How
could you?  How could you go back to Chaneh? Let alone sleeping with her! I am
ashamed of  you. Leave me alone! I don’t ever want to set my eyes on you again!”
 Lang tried  by all means to stop her but he couldn’t. Hellen pushed Lang
from her path and  went away.
Chaneh Moves In
As Hellen was going out Chaneh was coming in.  She mocked at Hellen. “It
serves you right. It’s our man and we have to share  him. I am hotter, he prefers
me. You are too cold for him. Moreover, you are  heavy you cannot service him
now but I can.” Hellen stood speechless. She left  for Uncle Victor’s mansion.
Chane and Lang
Chaneh stayed in Lang’s house.  Lang became more confused. “Destiny brought
us together. We are meant for each  other.” Lang became confused. He is
ashamed. He could not act.
Uncle Victor  Comes
Uncle Victor came to enquire from Lang. He found Chaneh as the mistress  of
the house. He knocked and Chaneh came to open the door. She answered him
rudely and inpolitely. “You have no home training! I’ll destroy you!” “Empty
bluff! You can’t do anything!” Chaneh challenged him. Uncle Victor left.
Lang Is Regretting
Lang regretted. He wanted Hellen back. Chaneh moved in  with her luggage.
Lang blamed himself for hurting his wife. “I’ll do anything to  get Hellen back.
I have hurt her badly. She is pregnant with our child. I have  failed her. I
am an ingrate and a heart breaker.” Chaneh came to caress him. He  pushed her
away. “I am confused. You cause all this. I don’t have your time now  excuse
me, I am finished!” Lang got up and left. He sat down in his car and
reflected. He got resolved. “Chaneh has to leave! I’ll fight my lust. Chaneh is  a
sweet poison. If I remain stupid she will eventually kill me.”
Lang Comes  Back Resolved
Lang came home resolved. He took a positive stance. Chaneh was  nowhere to be
found. She went away with Lang’s cheque.
Hellen At Uncle  Victor’s Home
Hellen is moody. Uncle Victor cheered her up. “Cheer up my  daughter! You are
a good wife. You have done everything for Lang. He does not  deserve you. Don’
t kill yourself for him. Live for your unborn baby. Cheer up!  Eat and be
merry! I am here for you.” Uncle Victor reassured his niece.
A  Knock At The Door
There was a knock at the door. Hellen went to answer it.  Who was it? Lang
appeared. “Who! Its you? What are you doing here? Coming to  mock at me? No! Not
again! I’ll not allow you to pierce my heart! I am done with  you!” Lang
apologized. I am a pig, a dog! I don’t deserve you. Find it in your  heart to
forgive me. I am sorry. I am weak in the flesh but I love you. I love  you with
all my heart. I am praying over it for Allah to help me to be resolved.  It is
all my fault. You are a good wife. I have nothing against you.” Hellen
rebuffed and rejected him. She shut the door at his face. Lang shed emotional  tears.
Lang And Uncle Victor
Lang visited Uncle Victor and confessed  everything to him. “I love my wife
but I am weak in the flesh. I could not  resist Chaneh. She took advantage over
it. I know Chaneh is sweet poison but I  was foolish to keep on fooling
myself. Thank God! I have prayed over it. Now I  am resolved. No more Chaneh or any
other woman for that matter. I love my wife  and I promise to be faithful to
her forever”. Uncle Victor softened. “Okay! Get  up! I’ve heard you! Hellen
is only a woman. She is now sentimental but she loves  you. I’ll talk to her.
Give her time. But behave as you have promised.” “I’ll  Uncle! I’ll! You don’
t know what you have until you are about to lose it. Now I  know better.” Lang
promised. Lang explained Chaneh’s fraud. “She stole my cheque  and went away
with my D50, 000) fifty thousand).” “What! You have to hand her  over to the
police. This girl has evil vipes. She has to be disciplined.” Uncle  Victor
advised.
Lang Uses His Connections
Lang used his connections.  Chaneh got arrested as she tried to cross the
border to the neighbouring state.
Love Is Appreciation
Hellen and Lang love themselves. They reconciliated  and live happily again.
Hellen gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl. It was a  caesarean case the
doctor advised tubal tie. The couples consented. The children  were named Uncle
Victor and Lang’s mother Aja Sophie. The naming ceremony was  glamourous.
Relatives and friends came from far. There was plenty to eat and  drink. There was
real fun. Real Love lasts forever.
The Fraudster Put To  Book
Chaneh was tried in a law court and put to book. She was sentenced and  sent
to jail.
Lang Is Elated
Lang came to announce the verdict. “The  fraudster is sent to where she
belongs.” Lang said excitedly. Hellen was not  pleased. She was sad. She reflected.
“I pity Chaneh. She is a young woman. She  has some evil vipes but she was my
childhood pal. I pity her. I am not  revengeful. I feel sorry for her. I do
not rejoice at her misfortune. We should  not rejoice at the misfortune of our
enemies.” She advised. “Hellen! You are  always soft! Forgive! Forgive!” Lang
complained, “I love you darling! You are a  priceless jewel!” “Our love is
mutual! Our trust should also be mutual! You  should never hurt me again!
Promise!” “Yes! I promise! Cross my heart!” Lang  promised. They engulfed in a
passionate lip kiss. They nursed the twins  together. Lang remained a perfect
husband and father. Hellen was never found  wanting.
Ousman And Nurse Fatima
Ousman’s romance with nurse Fatima  blossomed. It developed into real love.
They are preparing to get married soon.  The couples wished them well.
The  End

FOCUS ON POLITICS
FACTIONAL INFIGHTING WITHIN THE  PPP,
THE ORDER OF THE DAY!
With Suwaibou Touray
We have been focusing  on politics and our objective is to recall the events
of the past in order to  try and shape the future. In the process of doing so,
it is individual  personalities who have been mentioned while they were
acting on our behalf. This  makes it all the more important to focus the microscope
on their actions so as  to help the future generation to avoid falling into
the similar pitfalls.
In  the last issue we have stopped at where we said the editorial position of
the  Torch newspaper did not also spare the elites of The Gambian society who
it  described as “often run-off the mill intellectuals” who they understood
to be  generally baffled by this kind of situation.
Let us continue from where we  stopped.
The people, throughout the early 80s, seriously debated the issue  of Asset
evaluation of government officials. But many also lose interest with  the
feeling that a Government cannot evaluate itself. By May 1984, the Foreign
Exchange Controller of the Central Bank of The Gambia, Mr. Tijan Bangura, told  the
commission that he approved eight separate Foreign Exchange transfers,
totaling 153, 000 Pounds for Mr. Fafa E. M’bai, Former Minister of Justice and
Attorney General.
According to reports, Mr. Bangura gave this account to the  Commission on
Assets, which revealed what the Sun refered as “such startling  things as helping
out Richard Akinjide and carrying out secret Government  missions”. At that
stage, Mr. M’bai was yet to give his version of what actually  happened, but
the Sun hypothesized that if Mr. Bangura’s account was anything to  go by, Mr. M’
bai, as well, might have drained the Republic of its foreign  exchange
holdings.
The People’s Progressive Party (PPP), the ruling party at  the time, appeared
to be in serious disarray in the sense that the invisible  infighting has now
become so apparent to the extent of affecting the normal  operations of
government.
By 1986, the former Attorney General in the  Outgoing cabinet, Honorable
Momodou Lamin Saho was embroiled in litigation  against his former boss for a 50,
000 Pounds that was said to have changed hands  between one chief Francis
Arthur Nzeribe, a financier and former Lagos Senator  and President Jawara.
Francis Arthur Nzeribe was said to be a Nigerian  Millionaire whose name was
involved in a scandal, sometime around June 1984,  concerning the purchased of
Palm Grove Hotel. Nzeribe later denied the story but  told the Sun’s Baboucar
Gaye that a company in which he owned a share, “Fanz  International” made a
bid to buy a hotel in The Gambia but was turned down. This  was way back in
June 1984. Mr. Nzeribe’s name appeared in newspaper headlines in  The Gambia
again, regarding 50, 000 Pounds, but the matter was barred from  prosecution
under Gambian law. However the former Attorney General was said to  have refused
to allow sleeping dogs to lie. Some say he was bent on disgracing  his former
boss, President Jawara. This revelation became a by-product of a huge  rumour
which was said to have been reported by insiders that the privy council
proceedings in London was said to be in the process to de-knighting President
Jawara, meaning to remove the “Sir” title before his name. The reason they said
was a man who takes bribes is not fit to be called Sir.
But while this rumour  had taken many by surprise, Hon. Momodou Lamin Saho,
the MP for Banjul Central,  was himself reported to be nibbed in circumstances
of a criminal nature, i.e., a  “money doubling scandal” and according to the
Torch, he was languishing in a  British remand cell.
The Torch reported that Hon. Saho has accepted  introducing Mr. Nzeribe to
President Jawara but that he was not a party to the  deception and theft.
According to a newspaper report, Hon. Saho was, earlier  on, appearing in a
case in the Banjul Magistrates Court and in which the state  intervened by
filing a nolle prosequi. However, the Torch stated that what the  court records
showed at the time was that he absented himself for what he called  ‘
professional business’ in the United Kingdom.  According to Torch, those  nibbed along
with Saho were his daughter, Fatou Saho, who was a student in  London, two
Malians and a Gambian called Sheriff Ibrahim Hydara. They were said  to be refused
bail by the British Crown, conditionally.
On the home front,  Editor Sanna Manneh also decided to institute legal
action against Mr. Housainou  Momodou Musa Njie, the Managing Director of the
Gambia Commercial and  Development Bank (GCDB) and the Minister of Finance and
Trade, Hon. Sheriff S.  Sisay. He wrote a letter lodging a complaint on the
commission of the offences  committed by the two accused persons. He also submitted
an application for the  issuing of a summons and warrant to apprehend and
bring the two accused persons  before a court, in accordance with section 69 (3)
(5) (b) of the Criminal  procedure Code, Cap 39-laws of The Gambia.
In the statement of offences, the  editor mentioned;
1.          Disobedience of statutory duty, contrary to section 115 of the
Criminal  Code;
2.         False statements by  officials of companies, contrary to section
302 of the Criminal  Code;
3.         Neglect to prevent  felony-contrary to section 367 of  CPC;
4.         Conspiracy, contrary  to section 368 of CPC.
In the particulars of  offences;
1.         Between 30 April  1978 and 18 August 1986, Mr. Housainou Njai
committed a misdemeanor by willfully  disobeying to observe the provisions
contained in section 18 (6) (i) (ii) of the  Financial institutions Act 1974, in
failing to exhibit throughout the past years  in a public, part of each of the
places of business of the GCDB and to publish  in a Local newspaper in each of
these years, the annual audited Accounts of the  GCDB, as required of him by
law.
2.         Between 30 June 1982  and 1st July 1983, 1984 and 1985, Mr. Njie
committed a felony by using his  official position to transmit false
information to the ministry of Finance and  Trade, on the operating results of the GCDB
for June 1982 and  1984.
3.         Neglected to prevent  the commission of a felony, by omitting to
do what each and everyone of them  ought to have done to prevent a commission
of the  felony.
4.         That on 1st July  1983 and 1st July 1985, Mr. Sheriff .S. Sisay
conspired with officials of his  ministry to commit a felony and a misdemeanor
when he used in his budget  speeches to parliament, materials particular, of
the false information  transmitted to his ministry by Mr. Njie, with intent to
deceive the Nation and  mislead international institutions on the performances
of the GCDB.
The  editor then went ahead and sworn to an affidavit in court, in support of
charges  preferred against the two accused persons to affect their arrest
according to  Law. According to the Torch, the Principal Magistrate I.S. B. Mboob
told Editor  Manneh that action would be taken.
According to the Torch, the law required  that if the Magistrate is satisfied
that the complaint lodged is not “frivolous  or vexations” he/she shall then
issue either a summons or a warrant of arrest,  as he/she deemed fit. The
paper asserted that the Finance Minister must resign  to answer the charges and
that Housainou Njie must be suspended from duty  pending the outcome of the
case. If the minister refused to resign from his  position, it would then be the
duty of the president to force him to vacate his  office.
At this stage, many people were of the view that the various factions  within
the PPP were intensely undermining each other; that whoever was believed  by
the president got the Upper hand. It was said that even though the party
hierarchy may have had several factions, the factions dubbed the “Mafia” and the
“Teeri Kafoo” were the main contending factions fighting each other and
wrecking  the party as well. At this point in time, it was said to be difficult
for the  president to either unite the two factions or balance them. Some also
believed  that   the other faction, the Terri Kafoo was encouraging journalists
 to expose the secrets of the other faction.
However by September 1st 1986,  the principal magistrate, I.S.B Mboob,
responding to Mr. Manneh’s application  for the institution of criminal proceedings
against Mr. Housainou Njie and  Sheriff Sisay in his court, stated that cases
normally commenced either by  summons and or a Praecipe or by motion and an
affidavit and not by letter. He  also mentioned the civil suit No. 10/85
entitled Housainou M. Njie Vs Sanna  Manneh, which he believed is the defendant
himself. He then ruled that Sanna’s  application is frivolous and vexatious and an
abuse of the process of the court  and thereafter refused it.
Observers at the time, such as the West Africa  Magazine on April 29, 1985,
reported about the Nation Newspaper’s comment which  also called on the
Minister of Finance to resign and admit to parliament that  the figures given were
incorrect; that either action taken would save continued  embarrassment to
government.
According to West Africa, “this malicious lies  were made by none other than
a Gambian, as a cover-up for the Government, the  torch reported.
Read the next edition of Focus as we tread into  1986.

CONSULTATION FORUM ON THE BRIKAMA FISH MARKET HELD
By  Modou Jonga
A one-day consultation with stakeholders meeting on the proposed  Brikama
Fish Market Project organised by the Department of State for Fisheries  and Water
Resources, in collaboration with the Japanese International  Cooperation
Agency (JICA) was held on Tuesday 14 August, 2007 at the Regional  Governor’s
Office in Brikama.
The main focus of this meeting centered on the  mission of the Basic Design
team from JICA for the construction of the Brikama  Fish Market and on the
subsequent re-location of those conducting business at  the site of the proposed
project.
The meeting which was officially opened by  the Governor of Western Region,
Abdou F.M Badjie, brought together vendors,  canteen owners and fish retailers
in a discussion, moderated by personnel of the  fisheries department, JICA,
Brikama Area Council amongst others.
In his  address, the project Manager of Fisheries product distribution survey
of JICA,  Mr. Masami Tsuchiya, noted that the construction of the proposed
fish market  follows a request for grant Aid made by the government of the
Republic of The  Gambia in August, 2005 to the government of Japan.
According to Mr. Tsuchiya,  the Japanese government has officially entrusted
for the Japan International  Cooperation Agency (JICA) to examine the
viability of the proposed fish market  thereby ensuring the implementation of the
Japanese government’s Technical  Assistance and expediting the proper execution of
Japan’s Grant Aid.
Speaking  earlier, the Assistant Director of Fisheries Mr. Dampha dilated on
the  objectives of the Basic Design Study embarked upon by personnel of JICA,
which  includes examining the necessity, relevance and the emergency of the
request  components in detail and investigate an appropriate content of the
project as  Japanese Grant Aid Assistance.
Speaking further, the Fisheries Deputy  Director, said that the study team
aimed at confirming and verifying the ability  and the potential of management
and maintenance of the facilities, including the  plan of the operating body
for the project.
The consultative forum also  witnessed group discussions by vendors, fish
retailers and Canteen owners,  during which problems of the said groups,
solutions, strategies and partners  were identified and recommendations made for
consideration by the relevant and  concerned authorities.
In their deliberations, respective participants  highlighted their problems
as the poor drainage system, unreliable electricity  supply, improper
relocation process, toilet facilities, lack of waste management  system, etc.
Various solutions were identified by the said groups amongst  which are to
urge the management of the Brikama Area Council, and other relevant
institutions and stakeholders, to conduct sensitization of communities through  the mass
media, the provision of fisheries accessories, quick implementation of  the
proposed fish market, facilitation of the relocation process etc inorder to
remedy their constraints.
In his closing statement the Vice Chairman of the  Brikama Area Council, Mr.
Sunkarri Badjie, noted the significance of the  consultative meeting of
stakeholders and described it as a milestone towards  alleviating poverty. The BAC
Vice Chairman further urged the participants to  filter down the knowledge and
experience gained from the forum to their  partners/colleagues.

Eight Non Gambians Arrested At the Banjul  International Airport
By Modou Jonga
Prosecutor Abdoulie Ceesay, of the  National Drug Enforcement Agency, has
told the Brikama Magistrates’ Court that  eight Nigerian nationals were arrested
by security personnel at the Banjul  International Airport on 20 July, 2007
while they were about to board a flight  out of the country.
The NDEA prosecuting officer made these remarks on  Thursday 16 August, 2007
before magistrate E.F M’bai while the said arrestees  are separately arraigned
in court. All the accused persons who pleaded not  guilty, were dragged to
court by the state for alleged trafficking of cocaine by  swallowing, contrary
to section 43 of the Drug Control Act 2003, as  amended.
The first accused person, Klement Ifeanyi Obriorah, is alleged of  possessing
prohibited drug being cocaine by swallowing seven hundred and ninety  seven
grams for the purpose of trafficking. The second accused, Okafo Francis  Paul,
is alleged to have swallowed one kilogram and one hundred and sixty-two  grams
of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking. Samuel Nwaiwu, third accused is
alleged to have swallowed one gram four hundred and twenty-seven grams of
cocaine for the said purpose. The fourth accused, Edi Banke Anthony is alleged  to
have swallowed eight hundred and seventy-three grams and twenty-two
milligrams of the said prohibited drug for trafficking.
James Nicolas, the  fifth accused person, is alleged to have swallowed one
kilogram and four hundred  forty grams of cocaine for the said purpose. The
sixth accused, Aposo Mallachi  Ngozi, is alleged to have swallowed one kilogram
and four hundred and seventeen  milligrams of cocaine.
Faith Chinomso Obatu, a female and the seventh  accused person, is alleged to
have swallowed nine hundred and nine grams of  cocaine, while the eighth
accused, Amanchuku Okafo is alleged to have swallowed  eight hundred and
eighty-four grams of cocaine for the said purpose at the  Banjul International Airport,
on 20 July, 2007.
After having taken their  plea, the presiding Magistrate ruled that all
accused be remanded in custody.  Prosecuting officer Abdoulie Ceesay and Modou Jobe
represented the National Drug  Enforcement Agency (NDEA).

OPINION
Slaves, Or The Biggest Fools,  What Are We?
Foroyaa has been advising and teaching us for the past twenty  years to know
ourselves, know our country and know the world so as to be the  architects of
our own destiny. But can’t we stop a minute and ask ourselves  whether we have
heeded the advice and learnt any lesson from what we were being  taught? Do
we know who we are? Do we know the type of country we are living in  and the
system it has been operating under from the days of colonialism to date?  Do we
know the kind of world we are living in? In my view, the answer to these
questions is no. That is so because the kind of questions being raised, and the
statements being made by people who are supposed to be torch bearers in our
society is an indication that very little has been learnt. Had we learnt our
lessons better, we would not have been asking questions such as what is
responsible for the skyrocketing of the prices of basic goods, the stagnation of  the
starving wages of workers, the retrogression in the agricultural sector and
the difficulty experienced by farmers in the marketing of their products year
in  year out. We have failed to learn that just few decades ago we did not own
 ourselves and therefore did not have any rights over ourselves; that we were
 subjects of other people who think for us and decided on everything about
our  lives for us.
Because these people think for us, we are made to work and  serve them while
they ensure a better life and comfort for themselves. On the  other hand, we
as their subjects continue to live in subhuman conditions.  However they also
know that we are not unblessed in terms of mental capacity and  resources; that
if we are left on our own unhindered, we will be able to use our  creative
minds to harness the material resources in our environment to transform  our
lives. Instead of pursuing a development process which all societies must  pass
through, they found a shortcut to development for themselves by exploiting  us.
Survival of the fittest is an integral part of their ideology. Their greed
for material wealth has conditioned them to accept that as normal. They couldn’
t  see any evil in exploiting others as long as their selfish interests are
not  affected. Since they consider exploitation to be normal and logical, it
must be  left to continue without let or hindrance. Anybody trying to interfere
with that  system must be resisted. This has been, and still is their position
regarding  this system of exploitation.
But, as human beings, we cannot continue to live  like animals forever. The
desire to be free and live like human beings forced  some of our fathers to
mobilise our people to resist this evil system, which  made the exploitation of
person by person normal. Their vision and mission was  to put complete the end
to their evil system. At the initial stage of the  struggle, it must be
unimaginable to many that any headway could be made. But  with patience,
perseverance and selfless sacrifice they were able to take us to  where we are today
enjoying the little rights that we now take for granted. As  our fathers were
sacrificing everything in the struggle against the evil system  of marked
exploitation, the master exploiters were also strategizing to defend  and conserve it.
When they realised that with the determination of fathers they  would not
survive as exploiters, they eventually decided to retreat at a certain  point and
rethink their strategies. They acknowledged the fact that if they were  to
survive as exploiters, they had to relinquish their position of lordship over
us at least to give us a false sense of freedom and independence. With this
false sense of freedom and independence, a seed of complacency was sown among
the exploited and oppressed and their fighting spirit to resist was
extinguished. The little work that they had to do was to eliminate those who  understood
the full meaning of the term independence and are determined to  achieve it
at all cost.
Unfortunately for us, with that work done, those that  were now in position
of leadership in our countries were those who accepted to  be tools of the
master exploiter. In this way the master exploiter got whatever  she/he wanted
from the exploited behind the scene. Most of the oppressed and  exploited thought
that the mere appearance of their own kind in such position  meant freedom
and independence.
What must be realised by all of us is that  the struggle launched by our
fathers against oppression and exploitation is far  from over. One can rightly say
that it is just the first phase of that struggle  which has ended. The second
phase of that struggle is in progress and history  has entrusted the
responsibility of it’s prosecution upon the shoulders of our  present generation. The
earlier we realize this, the better for us and our  children. Our fathers have
accomplished what could achieve in their time and  circumstances, by ending
colonialism but even after they are long gone, they  still continue to
perpetuate it behind the scene in close collaboration with  those we consider to be
our own. It is therefore the responsibility of our  generation not to betray
succeeding generations by failing to effect change. If  we do, by that act, we
are either accepting to be slaves or the biggest fools  that ever existed on the
face of the earth.
We must ask ourselves why is it  that after decades of independent existence,
we are still unable to feed our  selves and provide shelter and clothings for
ourselves? Why is it that we are  becoming more and more hopeless about our
future instead of being hopeful? Would  this be the case if we were really free
and independent? No, this is our  situation because those in positions of
leadership are truly wolves in the  sheep’s clothing.
Up to this day truly we are being dictated to by the  master exploiter (our
former colonial masters) through their financial  institutions in the form of
World Bank and the IMF (International Monetary  Fund). By taking lessons from
these institution which are solely owned by the  master exploiter on how to run
our economy, whatelse do we expect other than to  be broken and exploited,
and the consequent underdevelopment, poverty and  hardship. Infact to accept to
be dictated by these institutions tantamount to  accepting to be either a
slave or the biggest fool ever.
Division Budhoo, who  worked for the IMF for 12 years, resigned after making
a critical appraisal of  the IMF’s role in the third world. In an open letter
to the IMF bureaucrats, he  accused them of “hawking your medicine and your
bag of tricks to peoples of the  world. Devalue! Tax the poor!  Remove all
subsidies to the underprivileged!  Fire the people! Cut out social services! Let
the children starve! Let  malnutrition in all the shanty towns be our
performance criteria! Increase  prices of bread, yams, soap and water! Negate all
constitutions! Kill all hope  and aspiration from the heart of the down trodden! Go
back again to saying your  prayers in the mosque, and begging in the streets
and dancing in the jungle!  Turn back the clock to two hundred years and let us
again be the masters and you  be the slaves!.. lie prostrate, i.e obediently
as our heaviest stream roller  ploughs through you for the glorification of
our founding fathers and for the  pique and career development of our present
day staff”. How can a society  entrust its future development to such
insensitive, callous and sometimes  downright incompetent officials with the primitive
attitude and understanding of  Africa and its problems of the one-time colonial
officials? he asked.
Muhammed Babu, veteran commentator on African politics described the
situation under the kind of misleaders who accepts to be dictated by the master
exploiter. “Injustice in this state is seen as an ever present element rather
than a shocking intrusion in the people’s existence. Those in power demand from
the people only unilateral, in place of mutual respect: the respect of
inferiors  for superiors, rather than respect between equals. To such leaders the
people  are only part of their estate and in such an estate the masters are
insensitive  to appeals for justice; to them justice is whatever is useful to
maintain  themselves in power. Their ideal is to govern with the minimum of
perspiration  and the maximum of domination. They are obsessed with the lust for
power and  regard themselves demi-gods. Anybody honest enough to refuse to
acknowledge  them, as such is a criminal and punished accordingly, mostly through the
PFCs.  The country in the meantime moves by desultory stages nearer and
nearer  disaster. They reduce the entire population to the economic level of
beggars and  at the political level of convicts”.
Marcus Garvey in his article entitled  Negro Leadership and What It Means,
wrote about the kind of leaders we have at  the helm of our affairs in these
words. “I would not exchange two five-cents  cigars-even though not a smoker-for
all the colored or Negro political leaders,  or rather mis-leaders, of our
time. The fraternity is heartless, crafty and  corrupt. They exist for themselves
only, and give no honest thought to the  future, nor the condition of the
people, except to exploit the said condition to  their political benefit.
“The leaders of the race are visionless and  selfish. They think of none but
themselves.
“Among the whites, we have  a few political charlatans and crooks, but that
race can well afford, under the  circumstances, to tolerate them, because they
are surrounded and circumvented by  statesmen and race patriots who are ever
vigilant and on guard in protecting the  rights of their people. Among us
Negroes, there is no relief from such a class,  because they monopolize our
politics and obstruct our outlook..
“To use our  present political leaders there must be a conversion and
reformation in head and  heart. I believe it to be impossible with the inviting
system of graft,  therefore I suggest that leadership be assumed by our uncorrupted
youth, with a  program leader, positive and determined, counting well the
cost of opposition  and persecution,. Which generally leads to the Bastile and
the Guillotine”
Now as Garvey has rightly stated those very people we regard as leaders have
turned to be hypocrites, sycophants and deceptors employing all their skills
to  entrench and strengthen oppression and exploitation for their selfish
interests.  They are the ones who have been deafening the ears of our people with
talks of  development and revolution even though the farming community which
constitute a  large percentage of the populace are frustrated; even though the
youth who are  the future of the country are being driven to risk their lives
at the sea  because of lack of hope about their future at home; even though
people are  virtually starving because of our inability to afford a nutritious
diet for our  families with the rising prices of basic commodities coupled with
the violations  of fundamental human rights. It is clear that we did not have
people whom we can  rely on for the evil system which have taken us hostage.
Therefore as Garvey has  suggested it is our uncorrupted youth, with a program
clear, positive and  determined, counting well the cost of opposition and
persecution, which  generally leads to the Bastile and Guillotine who must assume
the leadership of  the struggle against oppression and exploitation in our
society.  Unless  and until the youth, and women especially, take an informed
and firm position on  matters that affect their country and life, then national
affairs will be  hijacked by fellow citizens who lack the patriotism,
commitment and vision which  are required to develop the nation. In such a situation
therefore the country  stands to lose not only the gains already made, but the
very existence of our  society would be threatened by instability and impunity.
All Gambians  particularly the youth are urged to engage in politics in full
force because  politics is the only means by which we can determine our
destiny; control our  resources; promote and protect our human rights and the rule
of law; ensure  democracy, accountability and good governance; and achieve our
development  objectives in peace and stability. The solution to all the needs
and concerns of  society lies in politics.
The executive are the decision and policy makers  in any county. The national
assembly (Parliament) are the law makers of almost  any country. Since that
is the case, the people must therefore get involved in  politics to choose the
right individuals as their president, national assembly  members, councilors,
chairpersons, and mayors so that the right policies,  decisions and laws will
be made for the benefit of each and every citizen. Let  us stand for a future
that will place our country fully in our sovereign hands  with a government
that is entrusted with public power and committed to the  exercise of power that
belongs to the people to safeguard their liberty, dignity  and prosperity.
May God awaken the people from their slumber!
Fabakary  Trawally
Baddibou Salikenni.

Sport Journalists  Association Holds Congress
By Abdou Jeli Keita
The Gambia Sport  Journalists Association convened its triennial congress on
Saturday 11 August  2007 at the Independence Stadium. This association is the
umbrella body  responsible for the welfare and training of sports journalist
in The  Gambia.
The Chief of Defence Staff, Brigadier General Lang Tombong Tamba, who
doubles as vice President of The Gambia Football Association, Commended the  sport
journalist for their immense contribution to the successful hosting of the
African under 17 Championship held in Banjul. He said journalism is about
investigating and reporting accurately for the public to debate on them. He  added
that journalists should embark on investigative reporting in order to get  to
the root of the facts and produce it for the public, because according to  him,
what journalist inform the public is what the public is likely to believe.
In delivering his report, Mr. Namory Trawally, President of the Sport
Journalist  Association said his term in office is the most successful period in the
history  of sport journalism in The Gambia. He said this period witnessed
important  developments in the history of sport journalism in this country. He said
this is  the period when The Gambia hosted a major continental football
Jamboree in which  sport journalists successfully handled the media and publicity
committee.
He  said the biggest achievement of the association is the approval of its
application for membership both AIPS and the African sports journalists union.
He said the sport journalist association will from now on be organising an
annual awarding of sport men and women who have contributed to the success of
sport in The Gambia. The president went on to inform the attendees of the
setting up of the association’s website in January this year. The website
(www.sports.gm) he said will provide information on happenings in Gambian  sports.
The association’s secretary general, Korka Jallow, in delivering his  report on
the association’s activities, said there is need to maintain and  improve the
standard of the association’s website which the said is a major  asset. He
added that, there is need to look for an office space in order to put  in place
a proper filing system. Gibril Jassey, the association’s financial  secretary
said from March 2004 to may 2007, the operating surplus amounted to  D55,000
compared to D475 when they took office in March 2004.
The total  expenditure he said, has increase due to the publication of sport
magazine  (Gamsport Published in the African U17 Championship in May 2005).
The  association adopted and approved a new constitution. A new executive body
was  elected and constitute the following;
Namory Trawally as president, Pa Modou  Faal of GRTS as second Vice
President, Sainabou as Kujabi as Secretary, Korka  Jallow Assistant Secretary, Gibril
Jassey as Treasurer, Ndey Busso as Assistant  Treasurer and Babou Gaye as
Auditor of the Association.
Isatou Bittaye, Ebou  Manneh and Mohammed Manneh are co-opted members of the
executive body.  The  congress was graced by Beatrice Allen, 1st Vice
President of GNOC and member of  IOC, Salifu S.K Jaiteh, Modou Musa Njie General
Manager of FIB, Musa Njie,  General Manager of the Independence Stadium, Pap Saine
honorary life president  of the association and Kebba Yoro Manneh, a social
commentator among  others.

2nd Division: Samger Hoping for Promotion
By  Isatou Bittaye
Samger FC defeated Tallinding United a lone goal to propel  themselves into
1sst division the promotion zone.
Brikama United lost 3-1 to  Ham Ham at the Serrekunda West grounds to slip
down and allow Interior FC go top  with 35 points. Samger are now level on
points with Brikama United (33) with  only few matches remaining to the end of the
league.
Samger edged pass  Tallinding United with skillful midfielder Omar Jassey
(Waterman) snatching the  only goal of the game in the 73rd minute. They could
have registered many more  had they concentrated better in front of goal. And
Tallinding also failed to hit  the Samger net as they squandered a lot of
chances.

SK East  Nawettan Roundup
By Isatou Bittaye
T. K. Snookers made it six points with  another victory over Late Alieu Ngum
on Thursday. Whilst Rangers shared the  points again this time with T Central
on Friday.
Amadou Keita scored the only  goal of the match as Snookers collected all
three points in a tough tassel  against Late Alieu Ngum. Snooker seemed to have
managed an edge over their  opponents with the tactical touch of their manager
as the substitution proved  effective in the superiority over Late Alieu Ngum.
T Central forced Rangers  to a goalless draw on Friday adding to the
frustration of Rangers as they  collect only two points from two outings. Rangers
determined to avoid a sharing  of the spoils for a second time, mounted a fierce
challenge in the second period  of the game but always misfiring when in front
of goal.
Tomorrow Kerr-gi will  take on Juventus FC and Gamma Link play it out with
Medina on  Wednesday.