GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kabir Njaay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:54:01 +0200
----- Forwarded Message ----

Date:     Mon, 23 Apr 2007
From:     Mukoma Wa Ngugi

An Oxfam study reveals that for every dollar Africa receives
in foreign aid, the West gets two dollars back through
unequal trade.  We have also seen an increase in save the
African child foundations and Hollywood adoption of African
orphans etc. On the other hand, African governments have
become so dependent on aid, that practically all of them as
part of the national budget include anticipated foreign aid.
For those interested in the topic, I have a piece, (also in
the current issue of BBC Focus on Africa Magazine) "Africa
does not need more Western philanthropy" at
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=2&ItemID=12641.
What role should philanthropy play?  I mean there are those
now talking about strategic philanthropy and at the back of
it all, Cecil Rhodes charity dictum of philanthropy plus 5
percent. Mukoma Wa Ngugi

"Death holds us closer than hate,
feeding us mortality in such small portions"
  - Gerald Barrax

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい