GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 06:50:41 PDT
Gambia-L:

This e-mail below came from one of my sources in the Gambia

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

Mr Sam Sarr, as you may be aware, was an accessory in the murder of Lawyer
Babacarr Saye, the then head of Senegal's Election Commission. In fact, Sam
Sarr was subsequently sentenced.

Now, president Abdoulaye Wade's government is in the process of re-opening
the case and you know what that means for Sam Sarr. He therefore needs his
former business partner, Yahya Jammeh, now more than ever, for protection
from the long arms of Senegalese legal system. So that should explain why he
said what he said in his (Sam) interview with the Daily Observer on the
Crude Oil Saga.

In fact, Sam Sarr was taken to the NIA Headquarters, roughened up and then
escorted by security agent(s) to the offices of The Observer to recant his
initial story in exchange for being allowed to stay in The Gambia and the
possibility to resume his business association with Yaya Jammeh and NAWEC.

You can contact the Daily Observer for confirmation of whether Sam came
under escort or not. In any case, what is clear as a noon day is that Baba
Jobe was instructed to escort him (Sam Sarr) to the Daily Observer, but I am
not sure whether, in the end, that was the case. Sheriff Bojang should be
able to shed light on this matter.

Anyway, as I have predicted, the "Million Mom March" was a complete
wash-out. The turn out was about a hundred women -- 75 more than I
predicted, despite the efforts of organisers. I am compiling anecdotes of
the event which I will post to you shortly.

They have, once again, succeeded in exposing the unpopularity of yaya Jammeh
and his regime. He could not be a happy man today as a result of the low
numbers who showed up to help him celebrate.

Thanks!