GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdou toure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:30:46 -0000
KB,
Thanks for the poweful piece on an important topic- the Oct election. I must
say though that with recent pronouncement of the IEC he dice is cast. They
are ready to rig!!But everyone expects that. Imagine the reason Roberts gave
for not supporting onsite counting- post counting security. Laughable
indeed.  The IEC should be more concerned with making sure that elections
are free and fair. Post - election security issues are not issues for the
IEC. In any event violence as we know it in recent times has been
perpetrated on Gambians by the security forces, or by aprce supporters. So
if that is the main concern, they should simply refrain from inciting
violence and thre would be no threat to security after the onsite count.

But KB, I am not so sure that as things stand, boycott should be the
response, because boycott or not these people are going to make sure that
the results favor them. The real answer is for the opposition leaders, in
addition to viewing the election as an "existential" issue, (as Karamba
aptly put it), to be prepared to REJECT doctored results and to make sure
that a new aprc regime does not rule. This means taking to the streets. Here
again, the prospects are not good because, so far Gambian opposition leaders
have not demonstrated the courage to take on this illegal regime safe
through letters, petitions and meaningless court actions, under a
non-functioning judiciary. Consider, for example, the recent lame petition
sent to the president by the banned political leaders on the decree 89 as
published in the Independent of July 16, 2001. I paste it below for those
who did not see it. In this petition, the petitioners are aguing about the
legitimacy of Decree 89 and for the president to make amends etc. A big
joke! What makes them think that this man after all these years and after
all the recent revisions of the constitution to meet his personal needs,
would now say: "Ok you guys have a point, this decree is now annulled". The
contents of this petition shpould have been simple: Ban the decree or we
will unban ourselves, come what may. Also for the active opposition parties,
they should say that rigged elections will not be tolerated, come what may.
On that premise, they can boycott and then be prepared to own the streets
until justice prevails.

AT
-----
Banned Politicians Protest

The Independent (Banjul)
July 16, 2001
Posted to the web July 16, 2001

Alhagie Mbye
Banjul, the Gambia

Reliable sources close to State House say
leaders of political parties banned under Decree
89 have petitioned President Jammeh urging him
to immediately lift the ban to enable them
exercise their fundamental rights as citizens of
The Gambia.

According to the sources, the petition criticised
President Jammeh for what its authors call his
reluctance to lift the ban just a few months before
the polls. The president, according to the sources
was reminded by the politicians' petition to keep a
promise he made to the Commonwealth and the
international community about repealing the
decree before the October polls.

The politicians insisted that in the interest of
justice, fair play and democracy, the decree
should be declared null and void.

The politicians maintained that Decree 89 is
unjustifiable and discriminatory in the face of the
political activities of other former politicians
banned, some of whom have thrown their weight
behind the ruling APRC.

According our sources, the petition was assented
to by leaders of the erstwhile National Convention
Party (NCP) of Sheriff Mustapha Dibba, the
former Gambia Peoples' Party (GPP) of Assan
Musa Camara, and the PPP represented by
former Agriculture Minister Omar Jallow.

They said they would not hesitate to outline that
Decree 89 is not in consonance with the
democratic constitution and that it was time
President Jammeh knew about their concern for
the country's political situation.

When our reporter contacted Assan Musa
Camara of the GPP, he confirmed the petition,
adding that it has already been sent to President
Jammeh. Mr. Camara said the petition sought to
impress upon the president the nullifying nature
of the decree and why it should be removed from
the statue books where its continuous existence
was no longer acceptable or desirable. Mr.
Camara however, noted that they do not want to
publicise the contents of the petition now.

Sheriff Dibba of the NCP, on his part, promised
to contact The Independent regarding the matter
later. Omar Jallow (OJ) who is currently involved
in a court battle against the government over the
constitutionality of the decree was not available
for comments..