GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:17:58 EST
In a message dated 1/1/2002 6:40:59 PM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> The tragedy is the stark and direct nature of
> the choice before the people is not sufficient to undo the rigid
> polarization
> that has posed the greatest hindrance to forging a consensus on the common
> good. Look at the opposition politicians themselves. They could not get
> together because they are hopelessly consumed with personal inhibitions.
> All
> of them know that the fate of the nation is literally hanging in the
> balance
> because a murderous regime is intent on running a police state. They all
> agree that the I.E.C and the whole election process is subverting the laws
> of
> the land.

Karamba,

You are quite right, and it was the same thinking that contributed to a
splintered opposition leading up to the presidential elections.

" tragedy of the stark and direct nature of the choice before the people is
not sufficient to undo the rigid polarization that also posed the greatest
hindrance to forging a consensus on the common good"

This same truth applied then,  when splintering of the opposition parties
driven by nothing more than  the personal agendas of those who forged such a
divisive alliance was used by and  is  still being used by Jammeh to his
advantage .

While i do commend the UDP/PPP allinace for boycotting the  upcoming
elections, as some have been pointing out already, the same misdeeds by the
IEC  were present  leading up to the presidential elections, but the
"alliance " was so confident of victory that leaving some of the opposition
parties out of the alliance and ignoring some of the very same reasons they
are now siting as justification for boycotting these coming elections was not
on their agenda although they were there for everyone to see.

Yes, personal agendas as pointed out by some of us all along are the reasons
why we will have a hard time making any progress in our politics, but let us
make sure we do not just point out that folley in others when it  suits our
purpose and when applies to oneself equally.

You always vehemently defended the UDP/PPP alliances' desicision to forge an
alliance without including the other opposition parties, whether we discussed
this privately or openly.

The same personal agenda was the main divisive factor then, just as the
accusation is being directed at those who have failed to boycott these
upcoming elections are being accused of the same here.
One cannot work to forge unity only when it suits one's purpose. If one is
sincere, this philosophy has to apply equally in all situations.
To make progress, we must all be prepared to make sacrifices when it is most
needed, and the presidential elections in our country was a time when this
was most needed, but the proponents of a personal agenda failed us gravely,
so let us make sure we apply the criticism equally if we are sincere, and if
we hope to make any meaningful progress in the long run..

Jabou Joh