GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:56:30 EDT
Gassa,

Thanks. This is an area I have a lot of interest in. For example, I believe
that the kinds of activities you mentioned as having been sponsored by
various businesses is a very positive thing. Organizing trade shows will not
only educate young entreprenuers about different areas of business they can
pursue, but also encourage Gambians to "buy Gambian" as this will support our
entrepreneurs and keep the money at home.

That is an important point that a lot of people do not seem to realize and
appreciate. Buying local helps to encourage local producres of goods and
services, generate income for the businesses, which in turn will help them
expand and create more jobs, as well as keep the money at home.
The U.S government understands  so well  the fact that grownt of the business
sector will put more tax dollars in government coffers. That is why they have
excellent programs in place to assist small business in getting started,
writing business plans training on how  run their businesses and most
impotatn of all, small business loans to launch businesses..
The main deterrent for most Gambians is funding to start small businesses, so
the involvement of banks such as AGIB is a positive move indeed and I hpe
that the outreach to eduate and interest people to take advantage of these
programs will be in place.

One area I agree with Jammeh on ( although I do not see his government doing
anything to help Gambians secure funding and other asistance to start
businesses in these areas)   is that entrepreneurs need to look at other
areas like farming and production businesses as well. a diversification of
interests. We Gambians who are business minded tend not to look at the
society and ask ourselves what goods and services are needed and set out to
create businesses to fill these needs, but we tend to just copy other
people's business ideas and saturate that particular market. For example, if
Samba gets a taxi business, everyone wants a taxi business instead of looking
at other needs that are wide open  to service, and which may not be popular
but which can be a very lucrative market.
Looking at these kinds of thing is what makes the U.S business market a
success. Entreprenures will look at every concievable need and set up
businesses to fill those needs. Gambians tend to think of themselves as being
too good to peform certain services  or enter into certain service related
businesses. We tend to think that everyone should have a business that
reflects intellectual capacity or give you a certain status, "do not dirty
your hands", and this is not only bad for our economic well-being, it leaves
our society dependent on imports, putting our few dalasis into someone else's
pocket and for those services that cannot be imported, we do without.
Foreigners who  visit our country do pay attention to what goods and services
are needed but which no one fills, so they do come back to settle and provde
these needs, and that is our fault.For example, at least since 1997 which was
the last time I was home, there was not a single first class Gambian
restaurant that served classic Gambian dishes. The hotels featured Gambian
food once a week on their menus, and yet, tourists very much want to
experience good Gambian food when they are there, not some European dishes. I
bet any highly educated Gambian who opened a reataurant and donned an apron
to cook and serve these dishes would be whispered about, and yet, what a
lucrative business that would be. We need to get off our high horses so we
can improve our economic condition, and any business that can generate a good
income legally for a family is an honourable one indeed.

If entrepreneurs look at the bigger picture when they venture to start
businesses, and focus on a niche marlets that are wide open, and which will
therefore be a success if
tapped into, instead of appearances, we will be a lot better off
economically both on an individual as well as a national level.

Jabou Joh