GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:41:34 -0400
 Sister Jabou and Joe,
Its good we are taking time discussing this issue. Joe, just a few
stats. In 2003, about 45% of economically active population reported
being employed, 49% of these are in agriculture and animal husbandry
(Census 2003). In other words no more than 25% of our economically
active population really work on the farm. During a recent visit to the
village (Feb 2006) it dawned on me that over 90% of my cohorts(Kafo)
were either in Kombo or outside the country. The figure is much higher
for younger people, many of whom leave the village as soon as they get
to 9th grade just to arrive in Kombo to realise that their only chance
to a living is to trek across the Sahara or hitch-hike on canoes to
Spain and Canary Islands.

Joe, few Gambians depend entirely on the farming these days. Many would
tell you they survive todays challenges because of remittance from
family members who trekked or hitch-hiked their way to Europe and
America. No wonder you still find fathers  and mothers selling the last
cow/jewelry or compound for their middle-school dropout to risk
everything including their life to Europe or the US.  Some Baddibunka
man told me "in the past we travelled to Barra/Banjul or Cassamance
(smuggling) to make a living.We will go to Europe if we have to." In
sum, the drain will continue as long as it is the fastest way to a
decent living. One that would help a Baddibunka man or a Sarahule man
(who can't read/ write their name) feed his family and  save enough to
become the new landlord  in the "Tubab Banko".

Given the above, the question  is how do we make the most of our buck
with all the domestic and international  variables at play?  There is no
doubt in my mind that the farmer in Sare Mankamang Kunda would give up
life on the farm for a college degree for his child. And whether that
child lives in Basse, Banjul or Seatle matters very little in today's world.

Malanding