GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:20:59 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:05:57 -0700
From: Carol D. McRoberts <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] Fw: [women-csd] FW: AFRICAN GOVERNMENTS ADOPT SOLEMN
    DECLARATION ON GENDER EQUALITY

Subject: [women-csd] FW: AFRICAN GOVERNMENTS ADOPT SOLEMN DECLARATION ON
GENDER EQUALITY

> 6-8 July 2004 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
>
> July 2004
>
> AFRICAN UNION SUMMIT 2004 - AFRICAN GOVERNMENTS ADOPT SOLEMN DECLARATION
ON
> GENDER EQUALITY
>
> Gender equality was the focus of deliberations at the recent African Union
> Summit that took place from 6-8 July in Addis Ababa. Nigeria was elected
Chair
> of the current third session of the AU Assembly, succeeding Mozambique who
held
> the post for the previous session.
>
> Delegates to the AU Summit adopted a "Solemn Declaration on Gender
Equality
> in Africa," agreeing, inter alia, to accelerate the implementation of
gender
> specific measures aimed at combating HIV/AIDS and to implement agreements
on
> Malaria, HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and other related infectious disease. Such
> measures include ensuring that treatment and social services are available
to women
> at the local level, enacting legislation to end discrimination against
women
> living with HIV/AIDS, and increasing budgetary allocations to alleviate
women's
> burden of care. Other agreements address: women's participation in the
peace
> process; recruitment of child soldiers and abuse of girls; gender-based
> violence and trafficking; human rights for women and girls; education and
literacy;
> and promotion of the implementation of legislation that guarantees women's
> land, property and inheritance rights.
>
> According to the UN wire, Nigeria's President and new AU Chair Olusegun
> Obasanjo said that most, "if not all" African societies were deeply
chauvinistic.
> Senegal's Abdoulaye Wade focused on female genital mutilation as a
practice
> that must be ceased and told fellow AU leaders that they "have a duty to
stop"
> the early marriage of girls. Rwanda's Paul Kagame identified women as
> "indispensable" to the process of reconstruction and reconciliation in his
country, a
> decade after genocide terrorized the population. South Africa's Thabo
Mbeki
> urged governments to encourage gender equality in the private sector.
>
> African leaders also adopted a declaration on the ongoing review of the EU
> Common Agricultural Policy and its impact on trade in commodities with ACP
> countries, and took decisions on, inter alia, the: vision and mission of
the AU,
> and the strategic plan, programme and budget of the Commission;
implementation
> of NEPAD; report of the Commission on the Social Dimension of
Globalization;
> upcoming Conference of Intellectuals from Africa and the Diaspora; hosting
of
> the 2010 World Cup in South Africa; establishment of the Pan African
Parliament;
> and the situation in Darfur, Sudan.
>
> On NEPAD implementation, the decision notes that at current rates of
> development, many African countries are unlikely to meet the Millennium
Development
> Goals due to lack of resource flows. Delegates resolved to undertake
necessary
> measures to enhance the development of expanded and integrated national
> development plans and related policies, and to fast-track the adoption of
NEPAD
> programmes as a means towards achieving the MDGs. The decision further
notes the
> importance of agriculture in Africa's development, and reaffirms
commitment and
> determination to raise food production, reduce hunger and transform rural
> Africa by way of developing and launching Africa's Green Revolution.
>
> More information is available at:
> http://www.africa-union.org/home/Welcome.htm

> This is a listserver set up by the CSD Women's Caucus. It has been
established to circulate information in relation to the UN Commission on
Sustainable Development (CSD), particularly on women / gender and
sustainable development issues. The CSD is the UN body mandated to monitor
the follow-up of the Rio Earth Summit (1992) and the Johannesburg World
Summit on Sustainable Development (2002).
www.earthsummit2002.org/wcaucus/csdngo.htm
> Yahoo! Groups Links

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/DKgolB/TM

We periodically meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  Others who want to subscribe need to send a message to [log in to unmask] from the email account they want to subscribe.
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/