GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
latjor ndow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 20:27:50 PDT
Greetings:
To give my buray ak butut to Dr. Saine's questions:
1.>Should Gambia become part of Senegal?

No! Gambia should NEVER become a part of Senegal, rather Senegal and Gambia
should become part of a new political entity called
'what-the-people-want-to-call-it - 'Senegambia' or otherwise'.
Our recent history(i.e. post 1981), has left a bitter taste on the tongues
of Gambians that becoming 'absorbed' or 'dominated' by Senegal will not be
accepted. Had Jawara followed through with a referendum, as dictated by the
existing constitution, who knows what the outcome might have been?
Yet, not merging together makes little sense in the face of tremendous
political, economic and social challenges.

I will amplify on this and on the other questions tomorrow or the day after.

Regards,
Latjor