GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 03:54:19 -0500
Wednesday, 6 February, 2002, 06:56 GMT
Blair pleads for African mission

Tony Blair has argued the developed world has a "duty to act" to help
relieve global poverty on the eve of his tour of west Africa.
Mr Blair, whose stops will include Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and
Senegal, said the international community has "the best chance in a
generation" to tackle deprivation in Africa.

The prime minister believes it is time to start building successful nations
across the continent.

"If you allow a series of failed states to rise, then sooner or later you
end up having to deal with them": Tony Blair

And he warned that neglect of failing states by the developed world ran the
risk of a repeat of the situation in Afghanistan.

Many believe the abandonment of that stricken country after its battle
against Soviet occupation produced the terrorism and drugs that have harmed
the West, he said.

Mr Blair told The Times: "We have got a duty to act. We can act.

"The reason I'm so passionate about this is that I think we have got the
best chance in a generation to make a difference."

Richest states

The prime minister has said that he wants to make help for Africa a key
foreign affairs goal of his second term.

At last October's Labour conference, he described the state of Africa as "a
scar on the conscience of the world".

He hopes that this week's mission will pave the way for agreement from the
world's richest states at June's G8 summit in Canada on the implementation
of the New Partnership for African Development (Nepad).

Nepad offers a package of trade and aid help for Africa, coupled with
assistance in ending civil wars and improving governance across the
continent.

Appalling consequences

Mr Blair stressed that support for Africa was in richer states' self-
interest.

Drug producers and terrorists had taken over Afghanistan because it had
failed as a state, with appalling consequences for the West, he said.

The same could happen in Africa, he warned, adding: "If you allow a series
of failed states to rise, then sooner or later you end up having to deal
with them."

Chancellor Gordon Brown has said the government would match funds raised
for aid overseas during events to mark the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

"People recognise that we must not only fight a war against terrorism but a
war against poverty," he said.
-
BBC News