GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:23:41 -0700
Mr. Colly,

Maybe I'm the wrong person to make this appeal since I
do not by nature often refrain from returning punches.
But, I simply don't see what could be served by
continuing this exchange with Mr. Sallah. You've both
made your points, and I believe the greater good will
be served by moving on.

But more importantly, your deviation from your series
on the '94 Coup is sure to disappoint many people back
home. I've spoken to people in various parts of the
Gambia in the past two months, and it's obvious that
Ebou Colly is the most popular contributor on G-L
nowadays. I was simply amazed at how religiously
regular Masanehs and Fatims in Gambia are following
your revelations. For instance, I spoke to an old
friend who is a teacher around Kaur (without any
access to the Net.) This fellow told me that they (the
entire teaching staff at his school -even APRC
supporters)live for Mondays now, because they send
some kid down to Farafenni to have someone print-out a
copy of Ebou Colly's latest series for them. And I
have no doubt that Extention workers all over The
Gambia are doing the same thing. Apparently the catch
phrase is "Have you read Part x?" Sounds like anyone
who is literate is following the revelations. And
there aren't many doubters. The silence of the APRC
govt. about these revelations speak volumes.

So considering how boring life is in The Gambia
generally, and the provinces in particular, please
give these fellows something really important to
discuss while they're drinking Attaya. And not to
blame you, or anything, but won't you feel bad when
some poor teachers "flop" (pitch-in) D30.00 to send
someone to get them your articles, only to find that
you're discussing something else? Just think about it.

Good morning.

Saul.