GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 18:37:52 EDT
I have a question.
Which land in Gambia is considered state land, and which is land that
traditionally belongs to certain families or groups? Does each group of
people have land that is traditionally their's? For example, do the Wollofs
have land that is considered wollof land just as these other folks seem to
have land that is traditionally their's, or is it that in Gambia certain
groups are entitled to traditional land while others have nothing to claim? I
really need to know the answers to these questions because if it is true that
only certain groups have claim to land, then that is quite unfair and a
potentially huge problem. Who allocated these traditional lands orginally and
how was it determined who gets what and what groups are entitled and which
ones are not?

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 7/4/2001 5:06:35 AM Central Daylight Time,