GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
chernob jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:39:18 PST
Bamba,
It's not simply a matter of substantiating the 'source' of the
letter/article, that makes it wothwhile to go to press. It is also when that
source's presence is attainable for the newspaper, when it lands into legal
pitfalls. That's why letters to the editor must include the sender's name
and address, before any publication can take place. Editors need this
information for legal reasons. True, the source of the information was Ebou
Jallow, but Jallow was out of reach for the editor, and no way was it
possible to check the veracity of his allegations at the time.

Dave Manneh is very right about newspapers printing information, which would
compel the other party to react, thereby widening the scope of the
newsreport. True, editors do use this method to bring news to the public,
but it is a method not applicable to all instances. It was not simply a
question of throwing Jallow's allegations on the front page, and hope the
affected party would just react and defend their versions of the story.
Remember those affected by Jallow's ghastly details, had their integrities
sullied, and without even a scintilla of evidence to support such a
newsreport, an editor would squirm in his seat before going to press on
that. I understand our collective interest to package Jallow's information
for public consumption. Gambians were in hushed anticipation for information
about Koro's gruesome death. But it was a difficult scenario having to
balance your journalistic duty to ferry out information to the public with
ethics requiring that that information be true, verifiable and sacrosant to
the national collective.

Let me reveal this, which I failed to do earlier: I, personally, along with
Ebrima Ceesay, did want Jallow's letter to go into print. We did argue our
points to that effect,like all of you are currently doing. But when it came
to assessing and verifying Jallow's allegations and measuring up to the
legal consequences, we lost the debate to some senior editors. You are very
right I and others did write very controversial stories during the
transition. I personally wrote numerous times on Koro, and I used my column
to constantly call the government to account. Needless to say, do you know
the number of threats I received just for doubting Jammeh's intention, very
early in the transition, to order a probe into Koro's death? The anonymous
phone calls with vile threats? True, with God's help, I was able to survive
all this.

In my opinion, publishing Jallow's allegations would have marked the highest
point of criticality of newspaper reports in The Gambia. I don't think we
would have published stories more controversial in scope and content than
Jallow's allegations, had they went to press. If my memory serves me right.

I agree with your clarion call to start probing the Gambian press during the
transition. Journalists are the most unaccountable people in society; the
only way they can be held accountable is when their readerships put their
integrities and those of their stories, to the test.

Your exchanges with me are quite interesting and educative. You have
compelled me to share my little knowledge of journalism to others.
Realistically, I am not in the business of journalism anymore. I am now
carving a new niche in other areas.

Once again, excuse me for the misundertanding. My presumption of your
believing Jallow's allegations was not necessarily indicative of certainty
or believability on your part, about Jallow's account. I wish I made my self
clearer. And you are at liberty to scrutnize the Observer and any other
newspaper in The Gambia. That's healthy.

Thanks. Bye.

Cherno Baba Jallow
Detroit, MI