GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 01:13:11 PDT
Dear Ebrima,

The desire for a United Africa is without doubt in many of us and true many of
us will wish to see it through in our life time.But I keep on wondering when
ever this issue is being raised ,on what basses is this unity going to take
place ?To unite for the sake of unity is not enough,I am of the opinion that a
United Africa must still be something in the far distance.The reason being
that our continent in not ripe for such a project ,given the
political,economical and social situation.A united Africa at this point will
be a heaven sent blessing for many of the dictators and against the interest
of the majority of the African people.One would certainly have thought that it
will be best for African countries to have other forms of relationship and
consolidate the exiting ones.
We have seen what role a regional peace keeping force like ECOMOC have been
playing in many of the crisis in the subregion.Ecomog was a political tool for
regional military powers like Nigeria and in constant violation of human and
peoples rights in the areas.When peace keeping forces are engaged in defending
a dictatorial regime instead of defending the interest of the people,then we
have no choice but to ask to whose interest  must we unite the continent.The
Congo crisis is still fresh and ongoing.
It is only sincere African leaders who will be able to bring about a genuine
unity among the African people,I dont think leaders who fear every initiative
that comes from the people and not from them are capable of taking part in any
form of unity among the African masses.You will agree with me that there are
leaders who are more concern with their own welfare than the rest of the
people,that there are leaders who are more concern with the interest of the
outside world than that of the African people.You will agree with me that
there are leaders who are using all forms os tactic,religion,regionalism etc
in dividing their own people.Such leaders have no place in a Untied Africa,we
must do away with them first.
I am of the opinion that this is not the time for unity but time to coordinate
the efforts of all genuine democratic forces in and outside the continent to
advance our desire.
The Unity of the African continent will come,it will be born our of the common
struggle of the African people,their day to day struggle against
poverty,humiliation,political dictatorship etc and not from mere declarations
and wishes.Keep the dream alive.

For Freedom

Saiks

September 09, 1999 2:58 PM<br>To:
[log in to unmask]<br>Subject: UNITED STATES OF
leader Moammar Gadhafi who<br>hosted a special OAU  summit in his home town of
SIRTE, has urged his<br>counterparts to unite the African continent."Now that
we are free and<br>independent, it is time to move forward and create the
United States of<br>Africa."The Libyan strong man believed the reasons that
had hampered an<br>African federation when President Kwame Nkrumah proposed it
in the 1960s<br>no longer exist.I don't want to be pessimistic, but I think
those forces<br>who opposed our unity, are still alive and
kicking.Nevertheless,that<br>should not stop us from trying to realize
Dr.Nkrumah's dream.I hope this<br>wonderful idea will occur in my life
unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L<br>Web
interface at: