GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 11:14:39 EDT
Rene,
This is a great analysis and it shows an excellent understanding of the
relationship between the governors and those whom they govern. However, I
just wish to point out that this analysis only holds true if you are dealing
with rational people who are also going to honor their part of the bargain.
The argument you made is also premised on the basis that we don't have a
flawed contract to begin with. Let me draw your attention to the following
paragraph in your posting:

"In the second instance, the notion that a govern that wants to consolidate
itself in power, against the wishes of the people, must be removed by all
means necessary, is only relevant to the contractual basis of a
constitutional arrangement; as such, the collective actions of the people,
through civil disobedience, the engendering of an ungovernable situation,
mass demonstrations and strikes, could cause a government to surrender its
illegitimate authority to govern by resigning, and return the authority to
empower to govern back to the people. If by all means necessary, is within
this context, it is a right that the people not only possessed but can
exercise."

What happens in a situation where the "constitutional arrangements" provides
for a right to peaceful demonstration and then the government decides to gun
down anyone who engages in such an activity; in clear violation of the
constitution (April 10 & 11 massacre)?
Worst still, what happens if the government usurps power and then put in
place a constitution that does not guarantee people fundamental freedoms? Do
you still tell those people not to exercise their natural rights because it
is not in the constitution or the contractual constitutional arrangements?
If the government repudiates the contract by gunning down children who are
exercising their constitutional rights, then it is legitimate to forcibly
remove that government. If the government also puts in place a flawed
constitution that does not guarantee its people's natural rights, then it is
legitimate to forcibly remove that government. To advocate otherwise, is to
advocate unilateral disarmament. Think about ordinary contracts for a
moment. Would you enter into a contract or honor your part of a bargain if
the other party made it blatantly clear to you at the onset that he/she will
only agree to provisions that are detrimental to your position and that even
if you agree to those onerous terms, he/she will repudiate the contract at
will? That is what I think you are telling people to do. Like they say, it
takes both hands and not one to clap. It would be foolish of us to
unilaterally disarm ourselves in the face of a callous regime that cannot be
expected to honor its part of the bargain. WE SAY, GET RID OF YAYA BY ANY
MEANS NECESSARY (including, but not restricted to constitutional means).