GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hamad S. Sallah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 01:45:53 -0000
Thanks abdou for butting in so brilliantly. Your commentary has really
captured my attention. It is my humble wish that this bless forum should
benefit from the eloquence and informed commentaries of the likes of you.

I want to observe that if we are to truly worth our salt as a positive
opposing force we must see the process of democratisation at home not just
conceptually but also practically. The idea of having an alliance of
opposition parties to face the bestial yaya and his party of killers, come
the october election, is to say the least, very, very beautiful and
critical.

I am convinced that given the idealogical leaning of The PDOIS, I cannot
forsee the possibility of them venerating a political marriage of the kind
we are looking for. One that can bring about a united camp capable of
flushing out the blood-thirsty and trigger happy idiot and his party.

Any keen reader of the political history of the PDOIS can acknowledge that
their idealogical stance does not kind of allow them to embrace the type of
political fusion that the Gambia need in the opposition today inorder to
exert the envisaged change. That leaves me to believe that practically, an
alliance of all parties in the opposition is inconceivable in the immediate.
What needs to be done now is to get the rest of the parties deemed to be
willing to join an alliance to harmonise their political differences with a
view to take up the enemy of progress and democracy : Yaya and his killer
group, vigorously.

I want to add that It is not just enough to reveal corruption, injustice and
ineptitude of the ruling government, we must learn to engage the devil in
his own terms. I am not calling for war and I have no desire to reduce the
Gambia to a theatre of warlords as seen in our other sister - countries but
I am tempted to believe that the only language that Yaya and his men
understand is that of unnecessary violence. Time seems to be running out for
us as a country and as a nation. The Gambian nation has been by design(by
Yaya and his regime)reduce to a nation of tribal allegiance and patronage.
Our villages, cities, towns and roads have seen more blood and violence than
it would take to butt his ill-famous regime. Personally, I am tire of
talking I want to be on the more practical level of bringing about sanity
and decency in government and in us all as a people belonging to one country
and one not-to-be divided nation, and whatever organisation united to
galvanise speedily that state of affairs, I am a willing candidate. my heart
bleeds whenever I think about the fact that While the rest of the world is
forging ahead, The Gambia is held hostage by a group of bandits calling
themselves democrats. We must now or never, search for more worthwhile
ventures that can usher in true democracy and good governance, whatever it
take to bring that about.

The Gambian nation is blessed with good citizens enough to make a
significant change the very minute following on the heels of the destruction
of Jammehism. I like the concept of democracy only if it is true to its
callings. What obtains in The Gambia today is a blatant mockery of the sytem
and should not be allowed to continue or to gain the momentum which it seems
to be generating/getting. We should not allow Jammeh to perpetrate his
political window-dressing exercise. We have been through it already and must
resist the temptation or opportunity of going through it again. I am not a
pessimist but it is written on the walls already that the political reality
in The Gambia would only give him the leeway to further arrest and own all
our fundamental human rights.

Down with The APRC !

Sallah.