GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yunusa Bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:16:33 +0000

G-L,

I would like to wish all of you a happy & blessed Ramadhan. As we usually say
"Baalalenma akha", "Ali Hako boyen nye", "Ngache hakke", "Jarlodeh njafodeh".
I'm sure we have all wronged each other during the past year knowingly or
otherwise. Please let's use the Ramadhan spirit to apologise to those we have
wronged and forgive those who have wronged us.

Let's also pause for a minute, look inwards to ousrselves personally and take
stock of our past mistakes and wrongs to our partners(wife/wives or husband),
family, our employees, junior staff, neighbours,
funds/departments/ministries/companies and states entrusted to us. Let's ask
ourselves the following questions and answer them truthfully.

Have I discharged my duties properly as a husband, wife, father, son, daughter?
Have I been a nuisance to my neighbours, co-workers?
Have I tarnished anybody's image?
Have I mismanged funds entrusted to me?
Have I used my  powers as head of the family, as village head, company
manager,.....,  government minister, head of state to victimise people who do
not share the same views with me?
Did I cheat anybody in a business deal?
Have I lied to save my job, position therby putting others in embarrasing
situations?
As a leader, am i treating everyone equally?

I am sure if we continue the list and then tally the results, we would have
judged ourselves and then try to map out a strategy to rectify our failures and
maintain our strong areas. These are things we all have. We seem to get offended
though when they are pointed by someone else, but if only we care to take stock
of ourselves individually, we don't get offended when someone says we are weak
here or there.

Have a joyful Ramadhan.

The Jallows, Jolas, Sarahules and Serres on this list, please try this time
around. Shelf the excuses.

Regards

Yunusa Bah