GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Modou Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 00:13:40 EDT
Mr Essa Sey,
I am one of those who knew you from Armitage. I think you are a decent human
being and I have a great deal of respect for you.

My question to you is this: Do you know EXACTLY what happened in Banjul? If
you do, it is your job as our ambassador to inform all concerned Gambians. If
you do not, then how can you be sure that "there is no one amongst us serving
under Jammeh and Jammeh himself who would be so irresponsible to order the
massacre of students". Who ordered the shootings?

Did someone else (not serving under Jammeh) order the shootings?
If the commander-in-chief of the armed forces and his subordinates do not have
control over the decision to shoot at unarmed civilians, then something is
terribly wrong in our country. If we buy you arguments, then this is what we
have to believe.

I agree with you that there have sometimes been undue negativity about your
govt. on this forum. However, this is one occasion when EVERY Gambian must cry
foul UNEQUIVOCALLY!

I assure you that you (at least as an individual) have a lot of respect on
this forum.

Finally, on your words of wisdom that
"la justice et la vitesse ne font pas paire" ie:justice and speed cannot make
a good pair.
Unquote

I leave you with this: "justice delayed is justice denied" think about it!

I hope you reconsider your reaction in this moment of grief. You will need all
the diplomatic skills you can muster.

Best regards.
Modou.

Essa Sey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ousman Bojang,
>
>                        The issue at hand is a concern for all of us and rest
assured that those responsible for  such evil will be brought to justice!
However, my feeling is that some of you are over reacting and base your
feelings on subjectivity.I want to put it you personallly that there is no one
amongst us serving under Jammeh and Jammeh himself who would be so
irresponsible to order the massacre of students.THATS TOTALLY FALLACIOUS AND
BOGUS FOR YOU OR ANYONE TO SAY ON THIS FORUM!

> I want those of you whirling accusations to know that some of those students
who lost their lives are closely related to people working under Jammeh.Some
are related to Jammeh himself. Did you know that?

> Recently those fire service officers who were accused of killing Barry were
arrested and they are currently facing the judges. I Know that some of you are
waiting to see people like me on the forum and  jump on me with your infantile
mud slinging styles, but rest assured that i am ready for that as well.

> Lets try to jointly condemn those officers who killed the students but its
better not to over generalise issues for cheap popularity afterwards some of
you are always on this L as "so-called-immaculate saints".Which i feel is
totally false.

> Some of  us are quiet on the forum not because we are scared of your "wild"
literature but i for one always see the "rigid-system of hatching bitter eggs
from your postings  rather than helping build our nation"

>  This is a national tragedy that all of us feel including Jammeh! We are not
as wicked as you people are portraying  no! no! no! no! no! That is not TRUE!

> You can call me names when you step in but thats your business anyway.After
all i ammmm related to some of those students more than all of you do and i
know that no one in the current Gvt.will cheer any soldier for shooting
students.Yahya Jammeh is mourning like all of us.

> Lets oppose each other but that does warrant you guys to hate us! why? why?
hate!

> You can ask arround those i do frequent professionally i am NOT  those that
you guys classify as job-mongers.Some of  YOU  knew me at Armitage high
school.Say what you want today but we know each other.

> May the souls of those who lost their lives rest in peace BUT know that we
are related to those students also.

> In french its said that:"la justice et la vitesse ne font pas paire"
ie:justice and speed cannot make a good pair.FULL STOP.

> We know that its wrong to kill students but give us time to judge and not
smear our society with vengeance!

> I am ready for any one of you who jumps on the stage emotionally.After all
all of us can play with the semantics of words and come to nothing at the
end.

> No one can ever contribute on this forum without being castigated,framed and
ridiculed by some of you why that? How can impatience rectify any wrong? BE
RESPECTFUL to others if you want to receive the same back.Do you people know
that our forum is the worst so far?

> Dr Touray please note that my intervention is in no way representing the
Gvt's view its personal.

   Essa Bokarr Sey

   Ambassador in Paris.