GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:00:29 +0100
Gomez you wrote,
<<<when females take
leadership roles and males work to support them to develop our continent.  I
have a vision of an Africa where violence and abuse towards women, children
and the poor has been abandoned and all humans are treated with respect and
dignity.>>>>>

I like your vision and most of all the above quotation.I have followed with
great interest this debate  about the the unification of Africa.It is a
political and moral resposibility for all Africans to see the need for the
unification of the continent,even if not in our life time,but some day in
the future and thus we can further reassert ourselves and reclaim what is
rightfully our own. The inferiority complex in the African mind a product of
centuries of political ,economic,cultural exploitation and oppression and
this is the biggest hindrance to the liberation of the Continent.The
continent is yet to be liberated  and it is only through liberation we can
be united.
Given the opportunity, we are capable of lifting the African continent and
people from the decadent porverty. I am of the believe that as
Africans we have so much to improve,given the socio-political situation in
the continent before we can embark on serious mind provoking development.The
backwardness that has infected a great part of our society is a big issue.

 And this takes me back to Alagie Kinteh's posting were he stated "we must
start from ourselves. Gambians abroad have to unite first." This I believe
believed is much of self criticism,which we need in abundance.Africanism to
me means self reliance and self determination. And as long as we have that
we can move forward to liberate the African mind . We need to build that
African/Gambian nationalism,which is not narrow nationalism,a love for our
nation and people to address of differences as indiviuals,nations and
people,  and believe in ourselves. All these cry for a unification, I
believe  is a base for  a start and we can build it from here, right now.
The question asked by Alagie is in many of us why can't we organised, unity,
share. Why can't we revisit that Africaness that we cherished. Of course
there are critical
questions that we need to asked ourselves and others. But that does not stop
one from analysing and looking into the possibilities.

People withcritical thoughts have all right to do so because it is only
through this way we can come to something very concrete. A genuine
unification of Africa has a lot for Mother Africa and its children. Yes,
Saikss said  unification just for the shake of unification is not the main
issue and not even enough. But I don't believe that is what we are calling
here for. I don't believe all these voices are just calling for the
unification of Africa just for the sake of unity, that will be flawed.
Malanding did raised a very important question when he asked what does this
unity mean for Africa ? Gambia and the rest? Yes this is a good question to
asked. I believe that the development of Gambia is relative to the
development of Africa and vis visa. If as Gambians we show the way forward
then other  nations will be able to learn from our experience. If as
Gambians we managed to show the world that it can happen in a little
country like the  Gambia, then it will set the pace.

Madi did go further in his analysis today of the need for African unity. He
raised so many issues which I believed is the reason why some people think
it is too early to call for a unification ,we have some many issues on the
ground to address.  A cab driver in Johannesburg told me" Oh my sister
Africa is a beautiful continent, with all these beautiful people I wish we
can only unite, I wish we can realised our potential, I wish we can see the
need for unification. From Senegal to South Africa, From Tunisia to
South Africa, From Uganda to South Africa." We are depending on you the
young ones, we need you to pave the way, don't make the mistake we made, we
spend much time in ethnic wars and if that time was spent in liberating
ourselves,you can just imaging what a world Africa is." People rise and fall
within the context of the nation
institution. When they lose the ability to master and control the nation
institution they lose their freedom and this is where we
are.

Therefore a good start will be to take a serious look at
ourselves. We must rehearse for a nation building by controlling our
communities. By controlling the input into our education. By examining the
curricula used the school to train our children. Education I believe is the
best weapon for liberation as the same time the weapon for oppression.

If we could understand the nature of our mission in the world, if we could
understand that African continent of 12 million square miles, we wouldn't
have any unemployment for the next thousand years. With all those rail roads
to built, all the steel foundries to built, the
refineries to be built, the oil to be discovered, do you think there's
less oil in the body of Africa than there is in other places? probably
more. We have to build our owe things and do our own things. If
someone does things for us they are not really going to charge us for for
it, they are going to control us doing it.

Marcus Garvey said,"One God, One Aim, One Destiny." and that is true. But we
have to understand no matter what we plan to be , no matter where we are in
life, that its whom we relate to that we begin to examine history: where
we've been, where we are in order to understand where we still have to go.

T he Struggle Continues!!!
 Ndey Jobarteh