GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:40:11 EST
Renee:
Thanks again for your response.  It really put things in perspective because
one thing is for sure, like many Gambians my dissatisfaction with the regime
is such that I am unable to give them credit for the minimal of good they do.
 As a result, I overlooked the fact that the fisheries plant was a light
scale industry which produced jobs and, as you pointed out, could possible be
advantageous in the long run.

But I am sure you as a student of economics understand the inherent
disadvantages of state run industries, especially when there is no
competition from other similar industries to force some type of competition
to raise the level of quality of goods produced.  The end result? Mediocre
and second class goods.

I would rather prefer to see private investment in building light scale
industries in The Gambia.  However, for this to happen, an atmosphere
conducive to foreign investment must be fostered back home.  Based on the
economic and social situation right now, the government has not managed to do
this.

Anyway, I really do appreciate and respect your comments.

Regards,
Yus