GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:29:00 -0400
Ebrima, your Source is spot on about Lalo. There is absolutely no case
against Lalo. I am not surprised some prosecutor at AG's Chambers mustered
enough courage to tell the thugs at the NIA that there is no case whatsoever
against Lalo. You might be right about the link they want to make between
Lalo and Kanteh. My take though is that Francisco picked on Lalo because
Lalo pissed him off at Kanilai when Lalo told him (Francisco) to quit
smoking. This might be petty to some of us, but it could be a big deal to
some Italian rat that thinks he is better than all Gambians.

I did not dwell much on Lalo because I think he took very good care of
himself in his Cautionary Statement. Perhaps he was not tortured like the
others because the NIA thugs knew him. Lalo just blew the prosecution's case
against him. The only tangible thing they 'got' on him was when Barrow said
that he met with some soldiers at Kanteh's house. Think about it. Barrow is
the one that identified everyone else and made them members of some
'conspiracy'. The thugs at the NIA thought that Barrow was going to be able
to identify Lalo as being part of the meeting with Kanteh. Fortunately for
Lalo, he had his thinking hat on when he was interrogated. He asked for
Barrow to be brought in to identify him. Very risky proposition because
Barrow could have guessed and positively identified Lalo. But thank God
Barrow could not place Lalo at the meeting with Kanteh. Bye-bye to the
'evidence' Barrow had and bye-bye to the government's case. Francisco cannot
reliably identify Lalo because Francisco knew Lalo from Yaya's entourage. He
cannot claim that he knew Lalo from Kanteh's.

But this brings me to another issue I did not talk about yesterday. We must
all remember that when these statements were taken from these people, these
people were held incommunicado. In violation of our Constitution, the
citizens were denied right to legal counsel even in a case as serious as
treason. That should be grounds to throw out some of these statements. If
Lalo had a real lawyer, he would not have put himself in the jeopardy he
placed himself when he asked for an identification from Barrow without
having a proper identity parade. In any case, Lalo should thank his stars
that the vermin could not positively identify him.

So when the government lost the case by Barrow, they resorted to cooking up
another case. They now wanted to argue that Lalo was going to use his
position in the convoy to partake in an attempt to assassinate Yaya. Again,
Lalo mercilessly blew this theory apart. He had no control whatsoever as to
how the convoy is coordinated. He was a mere 'handkerchief carrier' for
Yaya. No one can commit an impossible crime. Like I said here months ago, if
one points an unloaded gun to a victim, one cannot be convicted with
attempted murder because one wanted to shoot the victim. Simply put, you
cannot shoot someone with an unloaded pistol. Lalo cannot say where the
convoy should go. He was not Yaya's driver. He was not the convoy commander.
This is just ridiculous.

I hope and pray that Lalo was not picked on by Abdoulie Kujabi because of
Lalo's ethnicity. In other words, the moment Francisco mentioned Lalo
(because Francisco was miffed at Lalo) Abdoulie Kujabi said that that is
perfect. A Mandinka boy. Let us frame all of them. I will not put this
beyond these vermin. They are all sick in the head. Abdoulie Kujabi,
Baboucarr Jatta, Ousman Badjie, Sankung Badgie, they are all the same.
Genocidal sickos.

Finally, I want to address an important issue Bamba Laye raised. Laye, when
the story came out, we had a choice to ignore the lies told by Yaya and his
thugs or give our own take on the issue. In my humble opinion, we cannot
simply afford to leave the government position out there without challenging
some of their lies. I hope you understand where people are coming from.
KB