GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:00:15 -0500
Even criminals, murderers and the scum of the earth have rights, and
their rights need to be protected at al cost. The be-all and end-all of
any serious nation is well-entrenched laws, and the rights of its
citizens.

When I first heard of the arrest of Baba Jobe, I was jumping in
jubilation, and to quote Malcolm X, finally, the chicken are coming home
to roost. My political instincts are telling me, this is good news that
they are it each other’s throat. It could only mean one thing
self-destruct—the end of the Jammeh tyranny. Somehow days later, I kept
telling myself that I am the last person who would like to be seen
defending Baba Jobe, but his rights are very important to the Gambia we
are hoping to eventually create. There is something wrong with the idea
that Baba Jobe is having problem with the law because one person finally
decided it. Now, let us forget about however we feel about Baba Jobe.
The fact that a leader of the legislature can be reduced to nothing at
the wishes of only one man said a lot about the kind of country we live
in.  I am not sure what his charges are, and I am more apt to believe
that he is guilty as charge, but the whole process made a mockery to our
justice system and the rights of its people.

Gentlemen, what I really want to say is that the arrest of Baba Jobe
should be seen in the light of the challenges we faced in our fight to a
just Gambia. Yes, we can chuckle because of how we feel about him, but
his rights are important and should not be compromised.

Thanks
Musa Jeng