GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 08:25:08 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No. 91/2007, 6-7 August,  2007
Editorial
SCIENCE ACADEMY IN KANILAI
Give It A Second Thought, Mr.  President
The report that Taiwan is assisting the president to build a  Science Academy
in Kanilai has taken many by surprise.
It is just recently  that the government has informed the public that it is
building a university  campus in Faraba Banta.
Nothing is being said how the present university will  develop and evolve
into one with a campus.
Good planning starts from what  exists and is characterised by short term,
medium term and long term strategies  to facilitate the smooth, continuous and
sustainable development of a project.
Currently, the University of The Gambia is without a campus or proper
science facilities. The students doing physics and other science subjects are
terribly disadvantaged because of the inadequacy of books and laboratory
facilities. What the university needs currently should be identified and  provided if
the government is committed to the spirit and principle of promoting
university education. At the moment, what is available is a college.
What  the university needs are accomplished lecturers in the sciences, an
update of  learning materials and well equipped laboratories to provide education
up to PhD  level.
In subsequent issues Foroyaa will focus on science education in the
University of The Gambia. We will provide the facts to the readers to evaluate  the
situation.
We have constantly lamented the negligence of the leaders of  the first
republic in building a university infrastructure. We have equally  drawn the
attention of the Gambian public to our honest opinion that this  present government
is not following the right direction in promoting university  education.
We have argued vehemently that the Independence Stadium complex,  with hostel
and adjoining rooms, is a fitting place to commence a university  campus. Can
you imagine what could have happened if the funds proposed for the  academy
or to build a university at Faraba were to be utilised to modify the
structures at the stadium to build science laboratories with state of earth  equipment
and provide conducive environment for the lecturer to teach and  reside? This
could have been the main campus which will proceed to develop up to  the point
of offering PhD courses. Colleges specializing in agriculture and  other
disciplines could have been established elsewhere when the situation  permits.
The basic problem of the government’s development strategy is lack  of
coherence and a holistic approach in planning. Take the road network as an  example.
The first strategic objective of any government should have been to  build a
trunk road from Barra up to the Fatoto river crossing, where a bridge  could
have easily been constructed to complete the connection between the North  and
South Bank. Secondly, a South Bank trunk should have been built from Kartong
to Koina as another phase in linking all parts of the country. Any government
with a coherent road policy would have tried to achieve this within a five
year  period. This government however showcases development in disjointed ways.
Its  starts something and goes to something else, before it completes the
whole  journey cracks would have started where it completed and the whole cycle of
 deterioration starts off again.
Our fear is that vital time and resources  will be wasted before a university
is established. Then cost would deprive the  poor from being enrolled. This
is what must be avoided. Taiwan is helping but a  change of government or
change of policy is always possible. The government  should use all opportunity to
promote sustainable ventures.

IEC  FORGERY CASE
“I Did Not Forge Ndondi Njie’s Signature”
Kawsu  Ceesay
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Mr. Kawsu Ceesay, the Chief Electoral Officer  of the Independent Electoral
Commission (IEC), who is standing trial for  allegedly forging the signature of
Mr. Ndondi Njie, the then chairman of the  IEC, told the court that he did
not forge the signature of his former boss. On  Tuesday 31st July, Mr. Kawsu
Ceesay ended his evidence in chief before  magistrate Babucarr Secka of the
Kanifing Magistrates’ Court. Mr. Ceesay,  dressed in a dark suit with a multi
coloured tie, was narrating his evidence  like a pastor preaching to the newly
converted. On several occasions the  magistrate had to remind him to reduce his
speed so that he can get all the  facts.
Mr. Ceesay told the court that the lack of sufficient materials to  register
eligible voters continued into the second phase of the registration  period.
He said political parties and elegible Gambian voters lodged several
complaints to IEC about the shortage of registration materials at registration
centres. Mr. Ceesay said at about the 15th July 2008, Mr. Ndondi Njie informed  him
that he (Ndondi Njie) had been to the head of state and according to him
(Njie) there were complaints about the registration exercise. “On the 17th July
2006, I was in my office and he called me in his office through the intercom.
When I went to his office he told me, Kawsu I am fired, meaning that he was
sacked from his position as chairman of IEC”, said Kawsu Ceesay. Mr. Ceesay
indicated that Mr. Ndondi Njie told him to check into his office drawers for his
personal belongings and collect it for him as he was leaving the office at
that  very moment. Mr. Ceesay indicated that Mr. Ndondi Njie was escorted away
by the  officials of the NIA and that those people who remained in the office
were asked  to lock the office, he added that he collected the personal
properties of Mr.  Njie and sent them to him through somebody. Mr. Ceesay asserted
that days after  the removal of Mr. Njie, he understood from the new chairman,
Alhagie Mustapha  Carayol that CODE INCORPORATED COMPANY intended to sue the
IEC to court for  breach of contract. He added that Mr. Ndondi Njie wrote to the
new chairman that  the IEC has no obligation to pay CODE, because they never
ordered materials from  them (CODE).
“I received some NIA officials in my office at about the 18th –  19th July
2006, asking me to make a written statement on the issues that they  will
dictate to me. This came in a way of questions which I had to answer to in
writing. I understood from my colleagues that the Director of finance, Mr. Lamin
Cham, and the Director of administration were also requested to make  statements,”
 said Ceesay. When asked by defence counsel Musa Batchilly, whether  he could
remember some of those questions put to him by the NIA. Mr. Ceesay said  some
of the questions he can remember were the issue of purchase of ten (10)
vehicles by IEC, five (5) computers, the order of the election materials from
CODE and why there were problems in the registration of voters. Mr. Ceesay
added, “I was asked whether if the materials from CODE had arrived, whether the
IEC would have problems of registration. I said no because we had ordered enough
 quantities to conduct the registration exercise for all the elections from
2006  to 2008, but unfortunately, Mr. Ndondi Njie stopped the consignment from
arriving. They asked me whether payment was effected, I say no.” Mr. Ceesay
noted that shortly before the National Assembly elections in January 2007, he
and the director of finance, Mr. Lamin Cham, were invited to the NIA office
where they found Mr. Ndondi Njie. The defence counsel, Batchilly asked, “Mr.
Ceesay, did you forge the signature of Mr. Ndondi Njie?” Mr. Ceesay answered,
“no I did not, and the question I kept on asking myself always is that why
should I forge somebody’s signature to pay for election materials that are
meant  to enable the IEC conduct elections. What benefit is that to me on a
personal  basis. I have not forged somebody’s signature on a cheque or a voucher
that I  could directly benefit from!” Mr. Ceesay asserted that all the electoral
materials from CODE bears the name of IEC - The Gambia, and that since the
Gambia’s electoral system is uniquely different, it will be difficult to market
 those materials in the sub region. Counsel Batchilly asked “what did you
gain  personally from IEC paying CODE for the election materials?’’, Mr. Ceesay
said  “I could not see any way where I could benefit from the ordered
materials from  CODE. I was not mandated to make any payments”.
He said payments are done in  a way IEC would request its bank to make a
transfer to the bank of the  beneficiary company. Mr. Ceesay emphasized that the
document was signed by Mr.  Ndondi Njie in his presence. He noted that during
the tenure of the new  chairman, Mr. Mustapha Carayol, on the advice of the
permanent secretary,  Department of State for Foreign Affairs, Mr.Willy Joof,
both sides have agreed  to receive some of the materials from CODE needed by the
IEC to conduct the  transfer and replacement of voters’ cards for January 2007
National Assembly  elections; that the materials were received by the IEC
from CODE.
At this  point Mr. Ceesay came to the end of his long evidence in chief. The
defence  counsel, Musa Batchilly, informed the court that he intends to call
some  witnesses in their defence. However, on Friday 3rd August,
cross-examination  could not continue due to the fact that magistrate Secka is on a
vacation. The  matter was adjourned till September for cross-examination by the state
counsel,  A.S. Umar
Mr. Kawsu Ceesay, the Chief Electoral Officer of the IEC, is  standing trial
for allegedly forging the signature of the former chairman of  IEC, Mr. Ndondi
Njie, to purchase registration and electoral materials from CODE
Incorporated Company in Canada, to the sum of 6 million dalasi.

DR.  JABEZ AYODELE LANGLEY LAID TO REST
By Isatou Bittaye
Dr. Jabez Ayodele  Langley, who died on the 10th June at Kelly Cross
Hospital, Maryland, USA, was  finally laid to rest on Monday 30th July 2007 at the
Banjul cemetery at 6.00pm.
Dr. Langley was born on the 13th March 1943, to Ya Haddy Njie of Medina
Serigne Mass and Mr. Gustavus Ekundayo Langley.
He was educated at Methodist  Kindergarten and Preparatory School and the
Methodist Boys High School (1954 –  1959), which was later called the Gambia High
School in 1960. Upon completing  his high school in 1962, the young Jabez was
awarded a United Kingdom  scholarship to study at the University of Wales,
Swansea, where he received a  joint honours degree upper second class (Magna cum
Laude) in History and  Politics in 1965.
He later proceeded to the University of Edinburgh, Scotland  to study for his
PhD and was successful to defend his doctoral thesis on  Pan-Africanism and
Nationalism and was awarded a PhD in African History and  Politics in 1968.
Shortly after receiving his doctorate, he was appointed  assistant lecturer
at the University of Edinburgh where he prepared his  doctorate thesis for
publication.
Dr. Jabez Langley’s “Pan-Africanism and  Nationalism in West Africa 1900 –
1945” was published by Clarendon Press Oxford  in 1973 and his second book “
Ideologies of Liberation in Black Africa” was  published by Rex Callings, London
in 1979. Several articles by Dr.Langley were  published in distinguished
academic journals in the United Kingdom and United  States. He also published a
book on Pan-Africanism and was excited to attend the  Pan-Africanist conference
in Tanzania in 1973.Dr. Langley’s first posting, upon  joining the civil
service in September 1971, was at the Ministry of External  Affairs (Foreign
Affairs) where he developed rapport with the diplomatic Mission  accredited to The
Gambia. In 1973. Dr. Jabez was given a special assignment, the  establishment
of the Gambia High Commission in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.  Upon his
return to The Gambia in September 1974, he was appointed Permanent  Secretary in
the newly created Ministry of Economic Planning and Industrial  Development.
Dr. Langley, with his team of economists and planners, took the  challenge of
preparing the first five year National Development Plan 1975 –  1980. The
plan was launched in July 1975 and it came amidst great national  excitement and
hope for the future. Together with his team of economists and  other staff of
the Ministry of Finance, they promoted the plan among  Multilateral and
Bilateral Donors with a view to secure funding for the timely  implementation of the
projects and programmes in the plan. Also with his team of  economists, Dr.
Langley prepared the second five year development Plan 1981 –  1985 culminating
in the launching of the second plan early in July 1981.
During his times in the Ministry of Economic Planning and Industrial
Development, he served four ministers with different temperaments.
In 1982,  Dr. Langley was appointed the Secretary General and head of civil
service where  he also served as adviser to the President of The Gambia and
secretary to the  cabinet. With the signing of the Kaur declaration in the
aftermath of the July  coup, a new relationship came into existence between Senegal
and The Gambia and  Dr. Langley became an adviser to the president of the
Senegambia  Confederation.
He was cognizant of the need to honour the agreement and to  foster good
neighbourliness.
Not being gender bias, Dr. Langley saw the  development of a Women’s Bureau
as an important factor and was aware of the  women’s potential to contribute to
national development. He encouraged the  training and career advancement of
women in The Gambian civil service.
In  December 1988, Dr. Jabez Ayodele Langley left the Gambia for secondment
in the  World Bank in Washington D.C, with the awareness that he had done his
best in  order to leave behind a stronger civil service.
Dr. Langley’s career began  and ended in teaching and his association with
Howard University began as a  senior fellow at the Ralph Bunche International
Affairs Centre in Washington  D.C.
He taught a course on West Africa since 1800, for graduate and  undergraduate
classes at Haward University’s History department and was later  appointed to
the Center for African studies where he introduced several new  graduate
courses ranging from Public Policy and Development in Africa,  Development Policy
and Administration, Non-Governmental Organisations and  Democratisation in
Africa. He also taught a graduate course in Pan-Africanism  and undergraduate
courses on the continent, including Environment and Society in  Africa.
He was awarded the Howard University Fund for Academic Excellence in  1998.
Dr. Langley received many accolades and honours during his life time,
including the commander of the Republic of The Gambia (CRG), the Ordre Du Lion  of
Senegal in 1972, as an adviser and member of the delegation to the
presidential consultative meeting in Dakar Senegal. The commander of the Order  of the
Niger (Nigeria) was also conferred on him.
Dr. Jabez Ayodele Langley  was a technocrat and an academic and had climbed
to the highest level of the  academic ladder.
The funeral service was conducted at the St. Mary’s  Cathedral Church in
Banjul on the same day. His former co-workers and colleagues  were all present.
Mr. Amadou Touray, Permanent Secretary, Department of State  for Tourism, Mr.
Yaya Sallah, Mr. Amadou Taal, the Inspector general of Police,  Benedict Jammeh
and his Pan-African colleague, Halifa Sallah were all present at  the funeral.

PALM OIL REFINERY IN THE MAKING
By Isatou  Bittaye
A new company, Gambia Vegetable Oil Company will soon start to  operate a
palm oil refinery in The Gambia. This was revealed by the company’s  General
manager Mr. Kishor in an exclusive interview with Foroyaa last week at  the
factory at Oyster Creek (Denton) Bridge near Banjul. The company is jointly  owned
with three other Gambians.
Kishor said the company will concentrate on  refining palm oil but also
engage in soya beans and solvent groundnut oil  refining in the near future. Mr.
Kishor noted that the raw materials needed for  the refining of palm oil is
crude oil and will be imported from Malaysia and  Indonesia.
He indicated that the palm oil, if refined, will be sold in the  Gambia for
local consumption but that 70% will be exported to other African  countries
because of the low consumption of palm oil in The Gambia. Mr. Kishor  said that
the refining process will soon start, noting that the key persons for
operating the machines will come from India but the local people will be trained
later. He indicated that in Soya bean refining the raw material will be brought
from Argentina or China and for that of the solvent groundnut from Senegal and
Nigeria. Mr. Kishor said the main purpose of the company is to get the low
cost  of oil and that also crude oil will be imported in order to have good
quality  refining oil.

EDWARD FRANCIS SMALL’S MONUMENT “IN LIMBO”
By  Abdou Jeli Keita
The monument of Edwards Francis Small a person widely  regarded as the father
of modern Gambia Politics is still in limbo. This most  important monument in
the history of our beloved Gambia, located in the  epicentre of the city of
Banjul has been neglected.
Little do Gambians know  about this great man (Edward F. Small), how
immensely he contributed in our  struggle to attain independence. Indeed, this great
man greatly contributed in  our drive to self government.
He is the father of Trade Unionism in The  Gambia and this may have led The
Gambia National Trade Union Congress (GNTUC);  in this year’s workers’ day
celebration to call on the Department of State for  Trade, Industry and
Employment, President Jammeh and other stakeholders, to  assist in rebuilding Edward F.
Small’s Monument at The GAMTEL roundabout in the  epicentre of Banjul in
order to keep his legacy in the minds of Gambians.
It  will be a disillusionment to realise that The GAMTEL roundabout is being
redesigned
and re-built while neglecting the monument in the centre of the  roundabout.
The Gamtel Director of Corporate Affairs, Mr. Abou Othman, in an  interview
with Foroyaa Newspaper, said Gamtel is sponsoring the rebuilding of  the
roundabout at an undisclosed amount. He added that this rebuilding has  nothing to
do with the call by the Trade Unions to assist in rebuilding the  Edward F.
Small Monument. He said the rebuilding of the roundabout is geared  towards 13
years celebration of the July22 1994 takeover.
New monuments are  seen being built, but this most important monument to
remember and honour Edward  Francis Small, a great son of The Gambia, is being
neglected.
This reporter  spoke to many people who called on President Jammeh, to assist
in the rebuilding  of the Edward Francis Small Monument. Mr. Dawda Faal, a
historian, wrote the  following:
‘’Edward Francis Small is widely regarded as the father of modern  Gambian
politics. He formed the first quasi political organisation in The  Gambia. He
was born in Bathurst in January 1891. He completed his education at  the
Methodist Boys High School in Freetown and started to work there, in  Freetown in
1910.
He then held a series of clerical jobs in both Freetown and  Bathurst before
becoming a teacher in Bathurst in 1915.
While a teacher,  Small decided to become a clergyman in the Methodist
Mission. In 19 17, he was  sent to Ballanghar to serve a probationary period as
agent of the Methodist  Mission, but within eighteen months he was dismissed from
mission employment.  Small’s dismissal followed what has been referred to as
the “Ballanghar  incident”. On New Year’s Eve 1918 Small ordered the bell of
the mission chapel  at Ballanghar to be tolled heralding the annual watch night
service. The sound  disturbed one James Walker, a European trader living in
the town; and an  argument developed between the two leading to Small’s
dismissal.
This  “Ballanghar incident” was to serve as the starting point for the
political  career of Edward Francis Small. The travelling commissioner at the time
Mr. J.L.  Mocallum, insisted in the removal of Small from Ballanghar. Under
pressure from  The Gambia Colonial government, Rev. P.S. Toys, the Chairman of
The Gambia  District of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, withdrew Small to
Sukuta. Small  resented the treatment he received from the Church and proceeded to
criticise  Rev. Toys openly and was consequently dismissed from the mission
employment.  Small together with other discontented members of the Aku Community,
Founded The  Gambia Native Defense Union (GNDU), who attacked what they
called “the blatant  flaws in the administration of the central Government”.
Meanwhile, in the  other British West African Colonies preparations were
being finalised for a  conference of educated West Africans to take place in the
Former Gold Coast.  Since the organizers of the conference wished all four
British West African  Colonies to be represented, support was sought for in The
Gambia. Small was able  to convert the (GNDU) into the conference’s fund raising
committee in Bathurst.  Enough money was raised for one Gambian delegate to
attend and Small, as the  Secretary of the Fund raising committee, was selected
to represent The  Gambia.
At the Accra conference of March 1920, Small who was one of the  Principal
Speakers, delivered on the right of West Africans to self  determination. The
Accra conference resolved itself as the National Congress of  British West
African NCBWA. Small arrived back in Bathurst in May 1920 and  within a short time
had established The Gambia Chapter of the NCBWA and became  its Secretary.
Edward Francis Small was also a pioneer Gambian Journalist. In  the 1920’s he
published and edited “The Gambia Outlook and Senegambian Reporter”
producing the first edition in Dakar. He would later found The Gambia Outlook.  As a
journalist Small established a tradition of critical and independent  political
journalism in the country. Small always took up issues of concern to  the
people of Bathurst in the pages of The Gambia Outlook and was also quite
prepared to criticise government policy.
In 1929 Edward F. Small Founded the  first Gambia Trade Union, the Bathurst
Trade Union (BTU), which was “strong  enough to organise the first labour
strike in Gambian history in 1929, marking  one of the most successful strikes in
Africa before the Second World War. Edward  F. Small by early 1930’s, was again
in the thick of politics as the leader of  the Rate Payers Association (RPA).
The RPA was the first quasi-political party  in The Gambia.
Edward F. Small went on to represent the municipal council in  the
legislative council between 1942 and 1947. When the elective principle was  first
introduced for the legislative council in 1947, Small became the first  Gambian to
win a popular vote. Sponsored by his labour union, Small defeated  Sheikh Omar
Faye and I.M. Garba Jahumpa and became the elected representative  for Banjul
and the Kombo area in the legislative council.
Edward Francis  Small will be remembered as the founder of The Gambia Branch
of the National  Congress of British West African. He was the first Gambian to
be directly  elected to the legislative council and the first to be appointed
to the  executive council. He was also the driving force behind the Bathurst
Rate  Prayers’ Association which dominated the politics of Bathurst in the 1930
’s and  1940’s. He founded the first Gambia Trade Union and created the
modern Gambian  Press.
Small continued to play an important role as a political activist,  trade
unionist and journalist for Gambian and non-Gambian movements until his  death in
January 1958.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
IS MONEY LIFE?
Part 1
Lang and Chaneh are from  provinces. They were bred and schooled there. They
became childhood lovers. Lang  is an orphan brought up by his paternal
grandmother. He schooled up to Secondary  Technical level. Then he learned many
trades - carpentry, masonry, farming and  plumbing. He is witty and
entrepreneuring. He mortgaged his father’s land to  help sponsor Chaneh’s education, her dad’
s hospital bill, etc. Chaneh grew up to  be beautiful damsel. She was already
betrothed to Lang who has invested a huge  sum of money on her head. Will she
marry him? Read on to find out.
Chaneh and  Lang
Chaneh have grown into a beautiful sophisticated damsel. After she  completed
her Grade 9 she started to play games with Lang, her village champion.  She
now looked down on him. She compared him with the city guys. Her parents
encouraged her to flirt with civil servants posted to her village. Essa was
heading a project whose headquarters was based at Chaneh’s village.
Essa has  interest in Chaneh. He asked for her hand in marriage. Chaneh
agreed, backed by  her parents.
The Marriage
Ousman, Lang’s friend broke the news of the  marriage to him. “Did you not
hear?” Ousman asked Lang. “Hear what?” “That Essa  is marrying your
girlfriend today?” “It’s a lie. Chaneh cannot do that to me.”  Lang swore. “She has
done it. Do you disbelieve me? I’ll take you to her place  to witness the
ceremony. We an take a shade to cover our presence.” Lang agreed.  He saw the shock
of his life. There was Chaneh, a centre of attention being  showered head to
foot with raw cash in D100 and D50 notes. She was all smiles,  Essa dominating
her presence all the time. The griots were singing praises to  the bride and
groom, tracing back to their great ancestry in history.
Lang  could not believe his eyes. “Chaneh is wicked! She should have informed
me.  After all, marriage should be based on consent.” He shed emotional
tears. Ousman  cheered him up. “It is painful, especially when you have spent
everything you  had on her. Take heart! Allah knows everything.”
Recollection of Secondary  School Days
Lang recollected his secondary days with Chaneh - how they used  to play hide
and seek in the bush; how everybody referred to them as husband and  wife.
They loved themselves and they amused villagers by their teenage romance.  Their
parents betrothed them to each other with full consent from  them.
Chaneh’s Dad
Chaneh’s dad, Pa Basiru visited Lang’s home. He found  him repairing his
rider. Pa Basiru brought a box load of clothes and a jewelry  box and handed them
over to Lang. “What for?” Lang asked. “These are the things  you gave my
daughter, Chaneh. She is married to Essa now and does not need your  things. You
can sell them or better still find another village girl to marry.”  Lang shook
his head and addressed Pa Basiru. “Pa! I am very disappointed in you.  How
can you be that callous? Are you mocking at me? Did you ask for the things I
gave to Chaneh? Or are you suffering from guilty conscience? Why didn’t you
return the hospital bill I paid for your operation in Dakar; your daughter’s
education bill and the fish money I have been giving you? You are heartless but
Allah is watching you.” “My daughter is right. She went for greener pastures.
I  never prayed for my daughter to stay in this Allah forsaken village. You
are a  village champion, Lang of many trades. You can find another village
queen.  Certainly not my Chaneh! She will pay you back everything you spent on us.
Essa  is a patron. He will find her a job and she will pay you every butut
spent on  our family.” Pa Basiru left Lang repairing his Honda bike.
Lang is  Disappointed
Lang is disappointed in life. He cursed his being. “Look at me!  Born with
bad luck. I lost my mum as she gave birth to me. My dad died as soon  as I was
born. My granny brought me up. Now she too is gone. I am alone in this  wide
world. My relatives do not care about me. I made it on my own. I have spent
everything on Chaneh. Look at it! She too has betrayed me. What have I done?
Where have I gone wrong?” he wailed.
Ellen, The Village Seamstress
Ellen  is the village seamstress, very industrious. She schooled up to
secondary four.  Then she learned tailoring. She sewed for both sexes, adult and
children. She is  single. Lang keeps his money with her. She is very straight
forward and honest.  Sometimes she lends money to Lang when he is in difficulty.
Chaneh is Ellen’s  bosom friend. Their friendship started since primary school
days. Lang still  loves Chaneh. She could not easily get out of his mind
despite the betrayal and  being someone’s wife It is ludicrous and funny. Lang
visited Ellen to get  Chaneh’s address in the city.
Ellen Advises Lang
“I have Chaneh’s city  address but why should I give it to you? It is
dangerous. Chaneh is now  someone’s wife. You can cause commotion in her marriage
life or be in collision  with her husband. Don’t visit Chaneh.” Lang lied. “
Chaneh is having some of my  important documents. I went to her parents. They
searched but could not see  them. They refused to give me her address for reasons
better known to them. I  decided to come to you as her friend.” Ellen thought
hard and said. “Okay! I’ll  help you. I’ll give you Chaneh’s address but be
very careful.” Lang laughed and  said, “You know me by now! I am always very
careful.”
Lang’s Business
Lang  decided to go into second hand clothing business. He took part of his
family  land and sold it. The business thrived. Lang decided to visit Chaneh in
the  city. Ousman advised him not to go. He braved the storm and went to the
city.
“I have to see Chaneh face to face. I still could not believe this! Where
are all the promises, trust, and love? This is unbelievable! Seeing her eye to
eye will determine whether charm is involved,” Lang argued.
At Chaneh’s  Home
Lang came to Chaneh’s home in the city. He met the gateman and gave him  a
false name. The gateman announced to Chaneh that her father wanted to see her.  “
Ask him in.” Chaneh was eager to see her father.
Lang is Ushered In
The  gateman ushered Lang in. “What! What are you doing here Lang? You want
to put me  into trouble? What do you want from me? Didn’t you see I am married?”
 Chaneh  bombarded him with questions.
Lang is still dreaming to have  Chaneh.
“Chaneh my love! Why have you betrayed me? Where is everything we  shared?
Are you charmed? I was very disappointed but I am ready to have you  back. You
have to leave your husband’s house. Come back to me I love you with  all my
heart. You forgot our oath. Come back to me my love.”
Chaneh laughed  at Lang’s face. “What stupid love! Poverty love! Chaneh is
moving forward and  you are asking me to move backward! It can’t be! I cannot
exchange affluence and  prestige with poverty and want. If you want to be near
me let me employ you as  my watchman.”
Lang got up. “You have insulted me to my soul. Enough of it! I  am leaving!”
“Take the fare and retain the change for your  troubles.”
“Thanks! I have brought my own fares.”
Lang left. “I don’t hate  you. You are a good man. I used to love you very
much but now I am married and  devoted to my husband,” Chaneh said.
Night Driving
Lang refused to stay in  the city. Chaneh wanted him to sleep with the
gateman until in the morning but  he refused. “I can take care of myself. I am
returning this night.” The driver  over speeded and there was an accident. There
was no death but a lot of  injuries. Lang was hospitalised.
Ellen and Ousman Pay A Visit
Ellen and  Ousman visited him at the hospital. He narrated his experience at
Chaneh’s house  and the accident. “It’s okay! Don’t be hard on yourself.
Take it easy. All will  be well,” the duo said. Ellen went home to cook him a
high pepper soup with coos  while Ousman waited for him. His two friends showed
great care and love. They  praised Allah for sparing Lang’s life.
To be Continued

FOCUS ON  POLITICS
THE 1981 POLITICAL CRISIS
GCDB TOOK THE SPOT LIGHT AS EXTERNAL  AUDITORS PROBE IN
With Suwaibou Touray
We have been focusing on politics  in this column. We have analysed the
politics of pre-colonial to  post-independence epoch. We have just completed the
narration of political  events for the year 1984. We have stopped where we said
the second thing that  happened was the introduction of an identification
system, ID cards, for Gambian  nationals in 1974 for the first time in Gambian
history; that it was initially  meant for boosting up security for the state.
The issues that struggled for  centre stage in early 1985 were numerous, but
the crisis that beset the Gambia  Commercial and Development Bank was an issue
that did not have an equal in terms  of importance. The Gambia Commercial and
Development Bank (GCDB) was established  in 1974 with the objective of making
loans available to small and medium  entrepreneurs as well as farmers. It is
a public commercial bank which had  dominated banking in the mid 70s up to the
early 1980s.The GCDB accumulated  millions of dalasi through savings from
individual depositors but the public  continued to hear about scandals that were
connected to the bank.
For  example, in 1980, there was a big scandal surrounding a theft case of
about 200  million CFA Franc. It was reported in the Nation newspaper that the
money was  about to be smuggled out of the country through the Banjul
International Airport  by officials of the GCDB who were attacked by the robbers; that
the robbers were  intercepted by the police at the highway. The scandal was
popularly called the  ‘Yundum highway robbery case’.
Another scandal that came to the limelight on  9th September 1982, was that
involving one Mrs. Ngum who was arrested and  charged with stealing a large sum
of  money of over 50 million CFA Francs  belonging to the GCDB.
These developments infuriated the populace who came to  realise that the bank
was under going serious problems of mismanagement. A lot  of irregularities
occurred and to the disappointment of the general public, but  that it was
difficult for people to air such grievances openly for fear of being  charged with
defamation of character, libel etc.
But by end of 1984, with  the intervention of the International Monetary Fund
(IMF), it was recommended  that the GCDB be probed. Hence, external auditors
were invited to audit the  bank. This is why after the budget session for the
year 1984, the Minister of  Finance, Mr. Sheriff Sisay was asked by the Torch
Newspaper to shed light on the  report of external experts but the minister
told the Torch that he was not aware  of the report. In the subsequent issues,
the Torch revealed that particular  areas of the bank’s operations depart from
acceptable practice; that its  external accounts status in its 38
correspondent banks was unascertained in  three years. According to the Torch, reports in
1974, ‘81, ‘83, ’84 had been  prepared by experts on the bank; that if the
Minister chooses to be ignorant, it  would be at the expense of a ruined country.
The Torch continued to reveal  that what they had gathered was that the
auditors had suspended investigations  for two reasons i.e. 1. Because
investigation may take too long a time or 2.  this is convincing evidence that fresh
re-examinations were necessary. The  Torch, however, insisted that it was risky
evasion, marking time, reposed in the  accounting process, a trust for the usual
report in the generalities; that  accidents that may unravel mysteries were
suffocated in the routine.
As you  can imagine, this created a long drawn out debate within the public.
Many  believed the Torch report. Others blamed the paper for irresponsible
reporting.  Some say “let us see what happens etc.
At this stage, within a week, the  publisher of the Independent weekly paper,
“The Torch’, appeared in court on  Monday, 4 Februaryt 1985. He was sued for
libel as well as other general  claims.  He was sued by no other person than
Mr. Housainou Momodou Musa  Njie, the Managing Director of the Gambia
Commercial and Development Bank in his  personal and public capacity.
According to a BBC report, the paper has  reported a D9 million dalasi
overseas bank account belonging to Mr. Njie in  December 1984. The BBC report
mentioned Mr. Njie as a very powerful figure in  financial, social and political
quarters in Banjul; that he is also a brother in  law to the President. According
to the Torch, they too filed a statement of  defence by 25 February 1985
through their counsel, the famous Sam H.A. George.  With the long drawn out legal
battle between the Torch and GCDB manager, the  paper continued to report the
findings of external auditor’s report on the bank,  which is a body corporate
with unlimited liability.
Further reports revealed  that the bank has not maintained the minimum
deposit with the Central Bank of  The Gambia as required by the Central Bank of The
Gambia Act 1971, nor had it  maintained the minimum liquid asset as required
by the financial Institution Act  1974 According to the auditors, the system of
internal control was inadequate to  enable them to determine that all
transactions with customers, other banks and  third parties were recorded. As a
result, they said, they have been unable to  satisfy themselves as to the
completeness of the books and records of the bank  or that they have received all the
information and explanations they required.  According to the Torch report on
the auditors, the bank’s records contained many  balances which could not be
analysed into identifiable and collectible amounts;  that they believed that a
provision of at least D8 million Dalasi may be  required against these items.
It was also reported that the records show that  over D50 million dalasi were
unaccounted debts and that included loans and  advances and an amount due from
the Gambia Co-operative Union Ltd. for 25  million dalasi which they say was
ultimately lent to farmers in 1979/80 and  1980/81. According to the Torch
report, in the opinion of the external auditors,  the provision for another bad
and doubtful debts and related interest is  inadequate and a further provision
of at least D22 million dalasi may be  required against these items.
In these pages of the Torch on this report,  they quoted a famous Henry John
Ford who said “History is bunkum, what matters  is money”.
See next issue as we forge ahead into the middle  1985.

WHERE ARE THE REPATRIATED MIGRANTS?
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Several people are still informing the FOROYAA that their relatives, who
were recently repatriated from Spain, are being detained at the state Central
Prison at Mile Two, even though Superintendent Anita Jammeh – Sonko has
repeatedly told Foroyaa that the Gambians who were deported from Spain were  released
that same day. “Immigration has not detained anybody”, she  said.
However, one Badinding Sillah has informed Foroyaa that his brother and  some
relatives are in custody at the state central prison.
He said that he  was told by one of his deported brothers, Gai Sillah, at the
Serrekunda market  that they were repatriated and detained at the police
Intervention Unit (PIU)  camp in Kanifing but they have been released and most of
his friends are on the  way coming home. Badinding added that those people
never arrived home and the  following day he went with Gai to the PIU camp but
another policeman recognized  him (Gai) as a deportee and that eventually it was
ordered that he be arrested.  Badinding Sillah also said that   the police
denied him to bail his  brother and that while at the PIU camp a policeman told
him that the rest of the  deportees are at the state central prison.
He said that he went to the prison  to enquire about his brother but was told
to come back the following day,  Thursday, July 26, during the visiting
hours. That day, he said, he was denied  entry at the prisons and could not succeed
in giving his detained relative the  food he took for them.
According to Badinding Sillah, apart from Gai who is  held at the PIU camp,
Sulayman Sillah, Kawsu Drammeh, Kawsu Juwara, Aruna  Trawally and Alasan
Trawally are all being held at the state central  prison.

PLANNING UNIT SHOW COMMITMENT OVER COMMUNITIES’ NEED ON  2008 BUDGET
By Bubabcarr K. Sowe
Representatives of various planning units  of the government have shown
commitment to the priority issues raised by  communities at the annual 2008 budget
interface forum held at the Paradise  Suites Hotel, Kololi on Friday, august
3.The event which is being facilitated by  Pro-poor advocacy Group (Pro-PAG)
since 2004 brings together representatives  from the Western, North Bank, Upper
River and Central River Regions (North) into  discussion with the government’s
planning units where local communities put  across their pressing issues for
the next fiscal year.
Pro-PAG’s policy and  budget analyst, Omar Jobe, told Foroyaa that they
achieved more than they  thought they would.
“All the planning Directors we targeted are here, and all  of them have
committed to take almost 90% of the priorities that are emerging  from the
community consultation on board without any problems, particularly for  water”, Mr.
Jobe said. He said the priorities for the various regions differ and  the North
bank is much more concerned with water, the Western region needs more  road
infrastructure, the central river region has diverse concerns such as road,
access to health facilities and upgrading of schools, while the major priority
for the Upper River Region is water.
Mr. Jobe added that this year’s forum  is more successful than the previous
years and they have been able to include  the Central River Region (North) into
the programme.
He said they could not  include Banjul, the Kanifing Municipality, Lower
River Region and the Central  river Region (South) in this year’s participatory
process due to financial and  time constraints but that plans are in place to
bring them on board next year.
Dr. Siga Fatima Jagne, Pro-PAG’s director, said at the opening ceremony that
it is only by bringing the poor people’s priorities in the budget process
that  development can be achieved.
She remarked that the interface forum will  create the enabling environment
for the voice of the poor people to be heard by  the technocrats who are
involved in the planning of national  development.
Omar Badjie of Action Aid – The Gambia said it is essential that  the poor
and excluded people are not only consulted just for the sake of it but  the
space is deliberately created for them to fully participate in programme
initiation, planning, implementation and evaluation so that their views and
aspirations are given due considerations.
Mr. Badjie said: “Participation  therefore is not a favour or a privilege to
be bestowed to the people by any  duty bearer; rather it is a right that
everyone must enjoy irrespective of  ethnicity, religion, age or gender.
Development policies and actions can only be  legitimate if they are developed with
active, free and meaningful involvement of  the people whose lives will be
affected by decisions taken.”
Abdoulie Jallow  of the department of State for Finance and Economic Affairs
said the outcome of  the consultation forum will be considered in the
preparation of the 2008 budget.  Mr. Jallow informed the gathering that the Gambia
government has recently been  attested by the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
on its Poverty reduction and  Growth facility Programme and they are hopeful
that in September the country  will have its debt written off and that would
mean more resources will go into  financing into the priorities raised by the
communities.

CAWABA  COMPANY DIRECTOR IN POLICE NET
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
One Mr. Douglass A.G.  Watts, the Managing director of CAWABA Building
construction Company, was  arrested by the police in Gunjur, Kombo South and later
transferred to the  Serious Crime Unit at police headquarters in Banjul.
According to our sources,  Mr. Douglass Watts was detained at the police
headquarters for hours before  being released on bail. The same source added that Mr. Watt
’s traveling  documents are being held by the police and that he is still
said to be reporting  to the police, as required by his bail conditions.
When contacted, the police  spokesperson, Inspector Sulayman Secka confirmed
the detention and subsequent  release of Mr. Douglass Watts. Inspector Secka
said that Mr. Watts was arrested  and charged for obtaining money by false
pretence amounting to 10,000 pound  sterling. Inspector Secka added that Mr. Watts
has accepted liability and  promised to pay back the complainant with a piece
of land equivalent to the said  amount. Mr. Douglass A.G. Watts, a Briton, is
said to have retired as a major in  British Army and is now running a
building construction company in The Gambia  called CAWABA, which was said to be
registered in 2005.

FA Cup:  Ports and Hawks Make Finals
By Modou Nyang
Gambia Ports Authority FC will  meet Hawks FC in the FA Cup Final on Sunday.
Ports saw off current league  champions Real de Banjul 2-1 after fighting
back from a goal down on the first  semi final played on Friday at the
Independence Stadium. Real took the lead in  the 13th minute of the and Ports leveled
terms in the 36th minute before  snatching the winner through substitute Hatab
Badjie to send the dethroned  champions to the final.
And on Sunday Hawks maintained their stance to defend  their FA Cup title by
eliminating Bakau United by a goal to nil. Hawks has owed  to defend their
crown and with the quality they exhibited in defeating Armed  Forces at the
quarter final stage before finishing off Bakau United, clearly  demonstrated their
ability to do so.

Banjul Nawettan Starts on  Saturday
By Modou Nyang
The 2007 Nawettan season in Banjul will commence  on Saturday with the super
cup between Digi Dambi and Macdonald United.
The  match will serve as the curtain raiser for this year’s Nawettan which
will take  off on the following Tuesday. The matches will be played in two
different  locations – Banjul playing grounds and at the Gambia Senior Secondary
School.
In another development, the Banjul Sports committee has reached an  agreement
with GSM service providers Gamcel in a deal that will see the sports
committee pocket D75, 000 annually. The agreement involves Gamcel sponsoring the
activities of the Banjul Sports Committee together with their super Nawettan
team and they utilise the committee’s activities to promote their  products.