GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ams Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:26:47 EST
FJC Scathes Juwara's Goof

<A HREF="http://allafrica.com/publishers.html?passed_name=The%20Daily%20Observer&passed_location=Banjul">The Daily Observer</A> (Banjul)February 17, 2003
Posted to the web February 17, 2003 Pa Malick Faye
Banjul & Pa Modou FaalFatoumata Jahumpa Ceesay, National Assembly Member, has
rebuked Waa Juwara for asking the National Assembly to impeach President
Jammeh. The NDAM leader had accused President Jammeh of bringing his office
into disrepute by making certain remarks during the recently concluded
Meet-The-People's Tour. In her scathing rebuke of Juwara, FJC described the
allegation as "utter nonsense and a figment of Juwara's imagination".Speaking
to the Daily Observer in an exclusive interview at her Kanifing Estate
residence Friday, Mrs Jahumpa Ceesay said that it is shameful and disgraceful
for a person who claims to be a political scientist to attempt tampering with
the principles of democracy."He is interfering with an institution
established by the constitution. Even though the 1997 Constitution guarantees
freedom of expression, Juwara has no right to tell the National Assembly what
to do. That is tantamount to interference in our duties and an insult to the
parliamentary institution. We would have called Juwara for a contempt of the
National Assembly if not of Section 17 sub-section 2 of the 1997
Constitution".She said all the President said was expected and desirous of a
good leader who admonishes the citizenry to be more productive and change
their attitude. "If Juwara calls such remarks an insult, then it goes to show
how ignorant he is. Jammeh gives high regard to the people, especially the
farming community. If you look at the President's speech throughout the tour,
it was focused on ways to develop the country, he spoke the truth, and the
truth is always bitter. Whether one likes it or not, there must be
attitudinal change in this country, and Gambians, especially the menfolk
should be more productive"."The problem with Juwara is that he is envious of
Jammeh's achievements and the writings on the wall are clear to him that
Jammeh's days are far from over." She said Juwara's remarks also show he is
lonely and suggested that he would have fared better if he had remained in
the UDP rather than forming his own party without members and sans
structures."The National Assembly," Juhumpa Ceesay went on, "is not drudgery
or rubber stamp and those of us in the APRC will exert our influence to
strengthen the efforts of the President in achieving his vision." FJC further
said Juwara is a failure and that as a politician, "he is voiceless," she
said, "he has no progressive input in politics and he is merely a "media
creation.""I want to remind Juwara that such days are gone when his terror
machines as a commissioner sent decent and eminent chiefs, alkalolu and
youths into hiding because of his tyrant behaviour. Jammeh's reputation is
based on honesty and integrity and I don't think we will ever compromise
that. I think Juwara is liability to his party rather an asset and I need to
tell him to shut up and stop interfering in the work of the National
Assembly, otherwise, appropriate disciplinary actions will be taken against
him," she concluded.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
 - Albert Einstein
the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear
the government, you have tyranny."
- Thomas Jefferson
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke