GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ams Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 19:50:21 EST
This was culled from Allafrica.com

<A HREF="http://allafrica.com/publishers.html?passed_name=The%20Independent&passed_location=Banjul">The Independent</A>

DOCUMENT
January 6, 2003
Posted to the web January 6, 2003

Banjul

The National Democratic Action Movement has released its New Year message to
the Gambian nation andthose in the diaspora, re-emphasising its mission to
free her from the clutches of the APRC government. We reproduce below the
full text of the message from party leader Lamin Waa Juwara.

Fellow Gambians, at home and in the Diaspora, more than eight years ago, on
the 22nd of July 1994, the military dethroned the democratically elected
civilian government of The Gambia. That sinister action had serious
implications for our democracy which we all cherished and had been nursing
since regaining our independence in 1965. I ask you today - are you better
off individually or collectively since the AFPRC came in to, supposedly,
clean up Jawara's mess?

The Gambian people are religiously committed to the principles and practices
of democracy, the rule of law, the independence of the judiciary, and the
respect for the protection and promotion of human rights and the freedom and
dignity of the individual at home and abroad.

The Gambia was the only country that did not introduce a one-party state
system of government in the West African sub-region. The Gambia initiated and
successfully pursued the promulgation of the African Charter on Human and
Peoples' rights. It was, therefore, a devastating experience when the elected
government by the people was over-thrown by the use of arms and replaced by
the A.F.P.R.C military junta. The people could no longer make sense out of
their lives as their inherent rights were trampled upon on a daily basis. The
arbitrary arrests, incommunicado detentions, torture, disappearances, and
extra judicial killings became the order of the day. The masses were
traumatized as they gradually lost faith and power to direct their future.
The massive human rights violations reached a climax on April 10th and 11th
of 2000, when unarmed students were massacred resulting in fourteen deaths
and scores wounded. The perpetrators of these heinous crimes were indemnified
despite the fact that the United Nations has consistently urged states to
combat impunity which violates international human right norms to which The
Gambia has subscribed.

Today, not much has changed. The Gambia is a state virtually approaching
paralysis. The pattern of government introduced since the 22nd July 1994
essentially held us back as a people and as a nation.

This can no longer be sustainable.

At this critical juncture of our history we want you to lay to rest all
unfounded fears manufactured by some deceitful sycophants of Jammeh's regime,
that there will be a vacuum upon the departure of the APRC.

Listen, there will be no vacuum left to be filled, in fact there are more
competent, honest, credible and dignified Gambians at home and abroad who
will lead this country away from the misery that the APRC has introduced into
our lives. Don't let anyone insult your intelligence, you have seen what life
has become for the majority of you.

There is no coherent national policy supporting economic development,
corruption in all spheres of life has become a major factor that has lead to
the breakdown of all standards of public and private morality.

It is not an over-statement when Dr. Saine said that The Gambia is at a
cross-road and at its lowest common denominator.

As The Gambia's newest political party, NDAM's primary mission is to restore
democracy to The Gambia as opposed to the APRC dictatorship. To NDAM,
democracy is universal. This means the rule of the people by its majority of
inhabitants and includes a government in which the supreme power is vested in
the people and exercised by them, directly or indirectly, through a system of
representation usually involving periodically held, free and fair elections.
This means that Gambians who've been disenfranchised for so long because of
location, can now expect to fully participate in the democratic process,
regardless of which corner of the earth they inhabit. This means, working
hand in hand with every Gambian to salvage and restore lost opportunities be
they political, social, and economic.

We take this moment to send a special message to our Gambian women - heighten
your steadfastness because whether you know it or not, we will not achieve
anything of significance in this country without your participation.

To the farmers and workers including the civil servants, it is in times of
crisis that you are most needed to be part of the solution to our problem. Do
not capitulate or become corruptible in times of difficulties for what the
future holds is more dignifying.

To our future - the youth, students in school and those youngsters who have
been displaced by the rotten educational system, we strongly believe that the
bond of continuity is the life-blood of human society.

We have great confidence in you that under different conditions and the right
leadership, you will take your rightful place in society.

To the armed and security forces, we think that serving in this capacity is
one of the most honorable professions. In your capable hands is entrusted the
defense of The Gambia and her people - always remember the oath you took to
serve, protect and defend them. The terror and brutality that a small
minority amongst your corps visited upon the people has marked your
relationship with them. This can be replaced by a relationship of trust and
dependability.

We will continue relentlessly to assent our rights and agitate for democratic
change. We will strive to save the Gambia from experiencing bloody events
that visited other African countries. We will need, in addition to astute and
balanced leadership, the will, determination, and support of the people to
bring about the desired change. Many young people from across other parties
have joined us simply because they believe in NDAM's leadership and mission.
My challenge to the Gambians, especially the youths and those in the
Diaspora, is to take our destiny into our own hands and collectively fight
for our fundamental rights and freedoms and to give meaningful chance to
democratic values that would give meaning to our lives. Personally, this is
my credo for which I live and if need be, will die for.

Gambians and concerned friends of the Gambia, NDAM wants to bring meaningful
change and we cannot do that without your support. We wish you a happy New
Year. "'Til victory, always"!!!

Lamin Waa Juwara Secretary General, NDAM