GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:35:15 -0500
Ebrima:
What a coincidence that you would mention Professors John Wiseman, his
illness and Arnold Hughes' retirement.  This is because earlier today, I
received a card from John asking me to review a book for the Journal of
Modern African Studies, for which he is Book Editor (the third I have
done for him). I just sent him an email and some material on The Gambia,
when I saw your posting. While I knew he had gone in for some tests, I
did not know that the diagnosis was positive.  Also, a couple of days
ago, I sent material to Professor Hughes who has agreed to publish my
article on "The Gambia's Foreign Policy."

As you correctly put it, these scholars (Englishmen) have contributed
immensely and devoted a considerable part of their scholarly lives to
the study of The Gambia. Professor Hughes' work in particular, spans the
entire pre-Independence to the present and continues to provide
scholarly leadership in our discipline. His works have appeared in the
top journals of our discipline as well. His Volume, The Gambia: Studies
in Society and Politics(1991)remains ground breaking in Gambian Studies,
especially because of his account of the 1981 attempted coup, the best I
have seen. Professor Hughes also ran the Centre for West African Studies
at Birmingham University for many years.

In the case of Professor Wiseman, his contribution to Gambian studies
span a similar time period. He has also spent a lot of his scholarly
time looking at the AFPRC/APRC Governments. Wiseman's contributions,
however, go beyond The Gambia and Botswana, a country he has also
studied among others.  He has, in my humble view, impacted the
literature on "democratization" in Africa more than any scholar of his
generation, with five books on Africa, and numerous articles appearing
in top journals.

Although I have never met these scholars, they have indeed helped shape
my understanding of Africa, The Gambia and my scholarship.  There work
resonates with love and genuine concern for The Gambia and Gambians.
Through there scholarship and friendships with Gambia and Gambians, they
continue to serve as shining examples, examples that students of
African/International Politics , and Gambian Studies in particular, will
strive to emulate.

Let us keep both men in our prayers.  John for a complete and speedy
remission and Arnold's continued health and scholarly leadership.

Thank you Ebrima.

Abdoulaye