GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2010 12:31:32 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, Jul 2, 2010 1:59 pm
Subject: Re: Foroyaa News:PDOIS PRESS RELEASE AFTER THE UDP CONGRESS

Rene, I'm pleased we have now established that any difference between
party membership and party supporter, in as much as resident Gambians
are concerned, is SEMANTIC and AMBIGUOUS at best. So Daffeh was correct
in ridiculing Halifa's postulation that no single opposition party had
more than 20,000 CARD-CARRYING members. I highlight CARD-CARRYING
because that was what Halifa actually said. So Halifa was not actually
wrong in what he said. It was just ridiculous a bit because he may not
be aware that unlike PDOIS and possibly APRC, other parties do not
REQUIRE their voters/supporters/members to carry cards depicting such
registration. In general, when a citizen decides to register as a
member of a party, they belong to that cadre of the party such as the
executive or maintenance body of that party. That means they have
"VOLUNTEERED" to assist the party in sustenance from election to
election. They maintain the life of the party. Although it would be
expected that those people vote for the party in all subsequent
elections, they are not required to do so.

Haruna, I have read your exchange with Modou with respect to the above
issue. I have tried to be as clear as possible in my understanding of
membership to a party, as opposed to be being a supporter of a party.
The first carries a responsibility and an obligation whilst the second
does not. This is why I indicated that though the distinction may be
little its bears upon responsibility and obligation. For instance, the
members of a party bears the responsibility of electing the executives
of the party; the supporters of the party cannot shoulder this
responsibility because in the constitution of the party, it may be
spelt out as to how the executive can be elected. And most certainly it
would be done by the members themselves. I cannot imagine a scenario
where a party would invite supporters, who do not register their
membership with the party, to elect its executive. There must be some
sort of internal dynamics within the party itself to bear this
obligation. It cannot come from outside of it.

Your exchange with Modou will bear testament to this. Whereas, in
fulfilling the Independent Electoral Commission's requirement for both
the registration of a political party, and the nomination of a
political candidate, dictate that a member of a political party who
also carries a voters card must register with the IEC for these
purposes, you keep substituting voter for member and draws no
distinction between the two. One is general and the other is
particular. That kind of argument is clever; it is pedantic but
obviously obfuscate the reasoning behind it. From what I can discern,
the IEC requirement clearly stipulates that a MEMBER OF THE PARTY who
is also A REGISTERED VOTER, must satisfy the requirement to register a
party or nominate a canidate. It is not an either or. You must be a
member of the party and you must be a registered voter. Go over your
notes again. Rene.

I think you're following my logic here Rene. Stop me when I stray.

You are very clever. That much I will give you. Rene.

If you go back and read Halifa's culprit paragraph in its entirety, you
will recognize how he ascribes the realities of PDOIS and other obvious
and innocuous facts, strings them together, to arrive at the conclusion
that supports the postulates of PDOIS' Agenda-2011. I know he does not
want to accept the fact that Agenda-2011 is replete with such
garbaldigook and Gambians such as Haruna are not interested in that. We
have work to do. But Halifa wants to force us to consider that
cacamayme anyway by issuing a friggin Press-Release on the UDP Congress
just held. First of all, if Daffeh did not respond to that
insignificant press-release, I would not have given it casual review.
Halifa has no locus standi to issue any release muich less press
release on UDP, NRP, GMC, nadd, ppp, or APRC congress. I think you will
accept that without prejudice Rene. The reason he issued a
press-release on it is to find a way to advance PDOIS' campaign guised
in an Agenda-2050. I know I may not convince you of that just yet. Your
indoctrination in PDOIS and circumstance will not allow that just yet.
But it will come for I have enormous faith in your acumen. For now, I
will address your notes proper:

Having read your exchange with Modou, I think that will suffice for me.
Modou tried to answer most of your concerns above .However, your
reference to being indoctrinated in PDOIS is what I will take issue
with. I am not a member of PDOIS, although you can consider me as a
supporter or a sympathizer. If you cannot find value in the enormous
contributions PDOIS, or Halifa in particular, has made over the years
on the political situation in the Gambia; on the economic situation in
the Gambia and on the others issues that relates to our society and
culture, I obviously do. And as we continue this conversation this will
become apparent. Halifa has already sowed the seeds; they are out
there. You may call it indoctrination, but when the full force of this
potency is released it will be something completely different. Rene.

[Haruna, a political party must have clear aims and objectives of what
it hopes to achieve. The members of the party are to articulate such
aims and objectives, so as to give the party a political direction. The
level of conviction and commitment to the ultimate aims and objectives
of the party, may be more robust for a member than for a supporter. So
there may be a little distinction in terms of responsibility and
obligation.] Rene.

Rene, but for a few minor adjustments, I will agree with you on the
theme of your statements. Here are the adjustments;
2nd sentence:
The EXECUTIVE members and associated affiliated groups (Youth wing,
women's wing, unions) of the party are EXPECTED to articulate the
party's aims and objectives.

  Why only the Executive and associated affiliated groups are EXPECTED
to articulate the party's aims and objectives, and not the general
membership? Rene.

That is the campaign proper to attract supporters and voters. Rene,
membership connotes a legal act, either written or oral expression. If
you agreed that membership to a party in Gambia is not readily
discernible from supporting such party, and you continue to be confused
here, you will agree that we will not understand you very well. I want
you to make that relevant distinction in your future notes.

I refer you to my notes above where I went over this issue again.

Political direction means to seek out a sympathetic polity.The
articulation here is the campaign proper. I thought I'd enhance your
notes here. They all have equally robust conviction and commitment.
The members of a political party in Gambia are the same as the party's
supporters Rene.
The scope and scale of conviction and commitment of a member is exactly
the same as that of a supporter where membership of a party is not
readily discernible.

Given what I have already stated above we will just agree to disagree.
Rene.

[Moreover, the point I want to make is that if membership to a
political party is determine by criteria; those who willingly accept to
meet those criteria can therefore be said to members of that party.
This is different from supporters, who may not have the same
inclination to register (appy) for membership to those parties; pay the
membership fee and abide by the rules and regulations that govern the
party. It is the number to such registered (apply)  members of such
political parties that the 20,000 figure infers.] Rene.

Membership of a political party in Gambia is not determined by
criteria. Any citizen can be a member of any political party in Gambia.
Probably with the exception of PDOIS. No other party I know of in
Gambia has a policy of their supporters and voters registering as
members of the party. I know that PDOIS has required the members of
their Central committe and Politburo to pay dues. The executive and
associated affiliate groups may contribute to the sustenance of the
party but their supporters and voters are not registered members.
Halifa said "CARD-CARRYING" members. This connotes the activites of
communist parties who require the central committee and politburo
members to carry their membership cards so they could identify each
other when it comes to favouritism in policy and activities. This is
the mindset that is so insiduous. You will recall in one of the notes
Dad shared with us after PDOIS' Congress that alluded to setting up
ventures for PDOIS members back home in Gambia. This theme of
favouritism and therefore a narrowed membership pool is very
detrimental to PDOIS, and it is elitist. You see Gambians have long
recognized that if you are not a CARD-CARRYING member of PDOIS, even if
you vote for them, you are not significant to PDOIS when it comes time
to draft governance policy. This explains the 2.3% voting for PDOIS. It
is likely to stay that way. It is very difficult for PDOIS to change
this posture because the foundation of the party is based on such
elitist and discriminatory activities based on populist rhetoric. Don't
try to divine what the erudite Halifa infers. He is a prodigious
writer. Some of his writings and speeches are older than you Rene.

Wow, Haruna. That is a serious indictment. You have cheapen here the
enormous contributions PDOIS, and Halifa in particular, has made over
the past sevearal years. And I don't think it is fair. Rene

[You contend that Halifa cannot know which party, if any, has 20,000,
30,000 or so members. I would only say that Halifa is very deliberate,
and I will not be surprised if he comes up with an explanation of how
he arrives at that conclusion.] Rene.

Don't worry Rene. Halifa's notes are self-explanatory. His notes said
"Card-carrying" members. Look at it for yourself. I will not expect
Halifa to explain that any further. That will have been an exercise in
mental contortion of epochal proportions and it will open up another
can of intractable worms.

[1. Haruna, what then is the basis of supporting a political party in
the Gambia? 2. Do people support political parties base on their
programs? 3. Do they support political parties base on their policies?
4. Do they support
political parties base on their ideas?] Rene.

1. Whatever basis a supporter conjures up is the basis for his/her
support of a party.
2. Yes.
3. Yes
4. Yes.

And these 4 questions do not exhaust the calculus people in Gambia
support parties.

Haruna, you have answered in the affirmative to all the questons above.
This is the ideal. This is how we suppose our political system to
function. That is why political parties who are really committed to
their programs, their policies and their ideas take the time,
constantly, to explain to the people what these programs, policies and
ideas entail. This is so, precisely, so that when such political
parties assume the reins of power, the people will know exactly what to
expect from them. But this ideal, I dare say with the exception of
PDOIS, does not conform to the reality of our politics on the ground.
The politics of patronage, inducement and an appeal to tribal or ethnic
sentiments in as much as we may want to negate its potency, is very
much a part of the political fabric that makes it possible to sustain a
political hegemony for 45 years that we have been an independent
nation. The first lasted for over 30 years, and the second is more than
15 years and counting. Rene.

[We have to recognize that our societies are continually in a state of
conflict. More so, when it is govern by diverse interest. This is the
reason we have different political parties. This is the reason we have
groups that emerge and compete against each other. We all want to
promote and sustain the interest of whatever we represent. However,
with a democractic system organized around a sound constitutional
arrangement, with checks and balances, institutions and structures that
promote the health and welfare of the people, all these conflicts can
be managed to the betterment of everyone.] Rene.

Believe it or not Rene I totally support your above statement and this
is what my life is all about. Thank you for echoing my thoughts here.

[I completely agree with you about whatever electoral calculus people
have in winning an election, but I do hope that it will be under an
environment that promotes the rule of law; that respects the sanctity
of human life and the dignity of the human being. And environment that
celebrates freedom of expression, and all the other freedoms, as long
as it is not injurious to the state and other people.] Rene.

I said you were a beautiful man Rene. That was an understatement. The
only adjustment I would make is to remove your last statement "as long
as it is not injurious to the state and other people". This is because
when people vote under a rule of law, that law takes care of injury to
the state and your fellow. Unless of course you imagine other law to
discern injury to state or other that is different from the reductive
constitutional law. In the main, I think your heart is in the right
place. And I appreciate your admission of error. I think all PDOISards
should aspire to be like you Rene. They will be the wiser for it.

As long as it is not injurious to the state and other people. Just to
bear on the fact that people have rights and they also have
responsibilties. The law states those rights and responsibilties for
the people as well as the state. Everyone should act within the bounds
of the law. Rene.

Haruna. I love you Rene. Did I say that? Ok. I mean it.

Thanks. Haruna.