GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:34:51 EST
Mr Camara,
I can't help but intervene on this censorship thing creeping around the L
lately. I have a problem with your edict vis-a-vis Mr Jatta's complaints
about choice of words and the "double standard" issue he rightly raised. Does
this List have a problem with words like "stupid", "moron", "hypocrite" and
so on and so forth? Cos i have posting ready to be sent which is bulging with
such adjectives. If you have a problem with these words, then i will look
elsewhere to continue my crusade against this stupid regime headed by a moron
and aided by hypocrites.
On the "double standard" issue, has it not occurred to you that it was Essa
Bokarr Sey who started the personal tirades against such distinguished list
members like KB and Ebrima Ceesay? Yet, you chose to highlight "Baba Keita's"
misdemeanour and totally ignored the repelling postings from Essa Bokarr Sey.
Where is your sense of fairness? If this is not playing "double standards", i
wonder what it is?
I'm all for decency, tolerance and fair play. But to use these as a weapon to
make blunt our sharpened pens raised against Jammeh is unjustified. If Jammeh
acts stupid, how else do we describe it? Do you have an approppriate word to
replace the stupidness he has been engaged in? I suggest - if you or any
self-righteous individual has a problem with our adjectives - to come up with
words that are acceptable and those unacceptable on your List. Talk about
censorious mullahs. Gambia-L, i had always hoped would stay above the fray
and temptations dictatorial inclinations historically associated with Africa.
Words that we use should not be any excuse here to stifle our liberties to
expose this hypocritical regime.
All the best,

Hamjatta - Kanteh