GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 14:38:04 PDT
On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 21:32:38 +0000 Asbjorn Nordam wrote:

>But now I will wait and see IF THE GAMBIA IS A STATE WHICH CAN HOST A HUMAN
>RIGHT CENTER, as I understand from the information given, will be based in
>The Gambia in a near future.
______

FYI, the Secretariat of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights
has been hosted by The Gambia since 1989. The African Commission was
established by the OAU under the provisions of the African Charter on Human
and Peoples' Rights, otherwise known as the Banjul Charter.  The Commission
could be compared to the European and Inter-American human rights
commissions.

On the other hand, there is also the African Center for Democracy and Human
Rights Studies.  This institution was set up in 1989 by a bill of the then
Gambia parliament.  It could actually be considered as a GONGO - a
Government-Owned Non-Governmental Organization.  The Center operates from
government subsidies and assistance from donor agencies such as the Danish
Center for Human Rights.

You may contact the Danish Center for Human Rights for more information on
the African Commission and the African Center.